Executive Officer Job

Guest nolanrthompson

Guest nolanrthompson

Since informing me of my selection to UPT, it seems I've been placed aside in "the holding pattern."

I was pulled off of a deployment so that "someone who is going to be here can gain more experience."

Additional ERT's and upcoming TDY's have escaped me for the same, "we need to train new folks."

While I thoroughly enjoy being pulled from BattleStaff with my inevitable departure, I'm screaming "WTF! I'm here for 6 more months!"

While some LT's in my group were given the, "Thank you for your service, have a nice life...let me know if you need a letter of recommendation," other changes have now felt the ripple effect, bringing me to my point...

I learned a few hours ago that I will become the Group CC's Exec. for my remaning TOS. I've never been too thrilled with being pulled from a real job to play desk jockey, however I've heard it does great things for the career. Honestly I'm not exactly excited to come in early enough to turn on the boss's lights and make sure the coffee is brewed only to stay late enough to turn off the lights and clean the damn coffee maker. Personally, I feel like I can accomplish more running a flightline than running an office.

Anyone have input on past Exec. jobs?

Nubby

Guest Hydro130

It's necessary evil. I'm not going to lie to you or sugarcoat it, it's going to suck.

MUCH more involved than turning on lights and cleaning coffee makers.

Just be glad it's not for too long.

Hydro

Take the opportunity to learn something about the Ops Group Commander's job to add to your maintenance officer experience. Use it to make yourself a better officer, and don't data dump everything you learn when you go to UPT. At this point it may not have as much of an impact on your career as it would later on, but just take it as a positive opportunity and--as Hydro said--be happy that it's not for too long.

Cheers! M2

Guest Hydro130

Agree with M2,

His was a much more mature response; your experience as an exec will serve you well when you become a flight commander, etc.

None of that is meant to diminish the ratings, etc you currently do as an MX O, but you'll see first-hand doing the OG Exec gig that MX and Ops do things quite differently - this job will give you good experience with that.

Don't RAM dump is right!

Cheers, Hydro

Guest slim

I've done the exec thing. It will teach you a bunch about how senior leadership get things done. I will say that...However, expect long hours, "hot taskers" that were due yesterday, and many, many hours reviewing decs, OPR/EPR's, PSA's, etc, etc, etc.

Lets just say that I'm glad its over

Guest Hydro130

Here's my past Exec gouge...

Get on VERY good terms with the secratary (NO! nothing sexual!)...

The Secratary is the key to all continuity... She/He(?) will make or break you as an Exec, that I promise....

Get on their good side, and the CC can't hardly touch you...

Guest KoolKat

"Get on VERY good terms with the secratary (NO! nothing sexual!)..."

Good advice. It holds for any job with one. When I was engineering down at Eglin...

I could work from home for the first 3 hours of the day! All it took was a call to the sec. and have her put my "puck" up on the board as "out" with the time I was going to show up. :D

I could telecommute from 0500 to 0800 over a pot of my OWN coffee, and then roll into the office around 0900. Good times.

EDIT: oh, and "Get on their good side, and the CC can't hardly touch you..." definitly applies to that situation.

Honestly, if your the shapest LT the place has seen in 10 years...you'd be surprised to slack you get. Of course, also more rope to hang yourself with, but all the same.

BENDY

[ 18. May 2006, 20:45: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest PilotKD

Lots of things we have to do seem like they suck until 3, 5, 10, however many years down the line when you say to yourself, "I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't have taken a few sucky jobs in the past.". I can't say I envy you, but would say, have at it and do your best.

Guest SpectrePilot

Do it. And do it well. (Can't believe I'm saying this...)

But as long as you have no wings, you might as well be getting privy to the weird-ass politics that are going on "up there" where I have never ventured and swear I never will.

But once you have wings, never ever go back there again until you are just so awesome, have so many hours, have *earned* LOTS of medals, and have kicked ass. So much so that the masses are pleading you to be in command! Anything less, you're just another 2.5K-hour LTC who's run through the political wickets and was probably never that great a pilot in the first place...

I digress. Sorry. Definitely a good place to be so you understand lots more than I have for the past 11 years... Godspeed.

Lots of things we have to do seem like they suck until 3, 5, 10, however many years down the line when you say to yourself, "I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't have taken a few sucky jobs in the past.". I can't say I envy you, but would say, have at it and do your best.
I'm 1/2 between 5 and 10 and it still sucked. Never underestimate the benefits of "access" to "the man" though. Thus the benefits I alluded to earlier.

[ 20. May 2006, 22:52: Message edited by: zrooster99 ]

Guest mjk5401

As a former OG/CC and WG/CC exec, I agree with all the comments thus far. Working hard, long hours will pay off in the end. It's a very rewarding opportunity. Good luck!

Guest Ace__Pilot

I enjoyed my 1 1/2 years as an Exec...and I learned a lot too. 6 months is just enough time to take it for all it's worth, learn what you need to know, and then get out before it gets too painful.

When you finish UPT, and some other LT in your Sq tells you that OPRs don't really mean anything - "you'll make Capt/Major if you have a pulse"...you can recall on your PRF experience, special program applications, IDE selections, other experiences and know the truth about OPRs and other things. Not that you want to be a General or anything...but why close any doors before you have to? Why stumble blindly when you don't have to?

Good luck - the pain level will be directly proportional to your attitude!

Originally posted by Roach:

I'm the Exec for a brand new AFSOC unit. We stood up, from day 1, under 24/7/365 combat operations. We are 2 time zones removed from our OG and I work the night shift. Despite the headaches I get from the job it is a very rewarding one. You are plugged into everything that goes on to make the unit (could be SQ, OG, or WG) live and breathe. And, at grave risk of this post being sent VFR direct to the SNAP thread, it is good for your career progression. As mentioned above, you should soak up all that you can in the gig. Someone must think your crap don't stink because it is rare that a MX type goes to work for the OG (at least in my experience); make the most of it.

You are of course speaking of the "combat" UAV unit in Vegas? Roger that.