Vehicles while at UPT

flynhigh

I'll be heading to Laughlin for UPT in Feb and am married w/2 kids. My question is does anyone have any insight into whether or not a family of four would be able to get by with one vehicle while a UPT stud? I've been contemplating whether or not an extra payment of $350/month is really going to be worth it while at UPT.

Any comments appreciated! Thanks!

There is actually a guy in my class in the same situation. He is married, two kids. They have just one vehicle. He either gets a ride from his wife or from a classmate. Most likely at least one other guy (or gal) will be married and live relatively close. If all else fails buy a bike, the weather around is usually condusive to riding.

Guest Vistar1

BlumXL is right...everything you need during the day is right here on base. So even if you had to walk to work, it's less than a mile. I actually walk to my husband's squadron 2 or 3 days a week just for fun and meet him in the parking lot after he gets off work. Lots of people ride bikes around here and like BlumXL said, it is highly likely that your someone in your class will live on your same street to carpool with. Go for it! No need to make the extra payment when you practically live where you work!

V.

Guest HueyPilot

When I lived on Laughlin (base housing isn't bad), I rode my bike everywhere until I hurt my ankle...after that I got used to driving everywhere. But that being said, many people rode bikes all over base...it's not a large base at all.

• 10 months later...
Guest jbaby1547

Hello,

My husband is in ROTC, he will be graduating in December 05. We don't have any assignments yet.

Let me say that so far my only experience with air force life is that my husband is in ROTC, I've been to 3 ROTC "dining outs", and last summer my kids and I survived six weeks while he was away at field training.

Needless to say, I am not familiar with the life that comes when you live on an air force base.

What do you guys think about the number of vehicles needed while at upt? We are wondering if we should take two cars with us or if we can do OK with one. I know this may be a personal preference, but I am just hoping you veterans may have some insight or suggestions.

I stay at home with my kids and would have to do some school drop-offs and pick-ups during the day.

Would it be too weird for me to drop my husband off at work? Or against some kind of "upt coolness" rule if he walked or rode a bike? ( I don't even know if that is an option.)

Be gentle this is my first post.

[ 13. October 2005, 20:55: Message edited by: betterhalf ]

It can work, especially if you live on base. But ask yourself this. If you have to have the car to play taxi driver for the kids, do you wanna pile all those kids in the car at 4 in the morning to take your husband on the days it is raining? I had a classmate who rode a bike, and yes, we made fun of him when he walked in the flight in his bike shorts. But, he only had a 1 year old, and his wife could afford to stay home on days that he needed the car for whatever reason (cold, rain, etc). They made it work...but sometimes he had to get rides home, etc.

Bottom line, even if its a cheap POS, I'd recommend having a 2nd car at UPT. If its only 1-2 miles to work, you don't need anything new......something cheap would definately be able to do the trick.

If this doesn's answer your question, let me know what other questions you have.

One car shouldn't be a problem for you guys at UPT if you live on base. In UPT (and the FTU) I lived on base and rode my bike to work nearly every day - the only times I didn't were when it was raining or above 90/below 50 degrees out. Getting a ride to and from work from somebody else shouldn't be a problem either since they'll nearly always have the same report and release times.

You definitely wouldn't be breaking any sort of UPT "coolness" rule by doing either of the options you suggested.

Originally posted by ENJJPT IP:

I had a classmate who rode a bike, and yes, we made fun of him when he walked in the flight in his bike shorts.

Uhhh...yeah...well I'd have to kick my own a$$ if I walked into work in bike shorts. Silly me, I just wore my flight suit for the ride to work.

Guest IAGuardWife

We had several friends who rode their bikes to work and knew several married couples with one car. It can definately be done. I wouldn't go out and buy something just so he can drive to work.

In fact, several people in my husband's class left their cars at home and rode their bike anyway. It's hard on a car engine to start it, drive it for 1/2 mile, then shut it off every day.

Guest SeekYeFirst

Hi there-

We just finished up from UPT and we brought two cars. My advice:

You can do it with one if you live on base. . . BUT. . . if you CAN bring two, and it's not a hassle then bring both cars. I'm sure that you could make it work with one, but unless there is a major reason why you don't want to bring two, then why not?!

As for bringing your husband to work. . . that will get old really fast. They have very wierd hours (very early and very late).

Basically, two cars would make things easier, but you can definetly still make it work with only one car. It's up to you.

Good luck as you and your family start your adventure!

When we were going through UPT I don't think we could have managed without two cars but at the same time we lived off base and a bike ride to work was not an option. There was no way I was getting four kids out of bed at 4 am to drive him there either! On base it could work. And don't worry about the rainy days, there will be someone (at least thirty someone's) on your street who will be headed to the flight room in the morning. I'm sure your husband could catch a ride on any day! It toally will be just preference. Also I would suggest thinking ahead. If you already have two cars you might want to hold on to them. Who knows where you are going after UPT and it may be a neccessity then. The year at UPT will go by faster than you think! If you only have one car now and want to wait to see wear you are moving too before a purchase that is workable.

Guest jbaby1547

Thanks for all of the insight.

My husband does own a bike. We are planning to live on base (I know things don't always go according to plan)

Right now we have two cars. My husband's parents are lending him a car while he is going to school, but after graduation he will have to give it back.

We are hoping to out grow our family car ;) and want to get a bigger one. We are trying to decide if we should keep it for our second vehicle or use it as a trade-in.