A-10 (Warthog) Q&A

Guest sickels101

Guest staticlullaby

what pipeline do you take for A-10s. how often do you fly. an will the F-35 replace the A-10. damn i hope not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-38

<not going to BS an answer, will vary anyway>

The a-10 doesn't have a replacement, only supplements to the overall force.

Guest Rainman A-10

The A-10 will go away in the not too distant future with no mission capable aircraft to replace it. The beginning of the phase out will start soon. You will continue to see announcements about Engine and Avionics upgrades to keep the A-10 for another 10-20 years. What will be less visible is the cost of upgrading the A-10...IRON.

The total A-10 fleet will be cut in half to pay for the planned upgrades.

• 1 month later...
Guest kmgraham79

Here's another good website on the C models that are due to be fully integrated by 2009.

http://www.warthogpen.com/a-10c_files/A-10C.html

I believe that the Air Force's initial plan was to phase the Warthog out with the JSF's, but I don't see how they could do this when each plane's capabilities are radically different. Seeing that the C model is now being phased in, I think the Air Force realized that you can't replace the Hog. There's no aircraft that even matches its capabilities or performance characteristics.

>> I think the Air Force realized that you can't replace the Hog. There's no aircraft that even matches its capabilities or performance characteristics.

You over-estimate the AF's intellegence.

The A-10C will be the result of a program called Precision Engagement(PE) and is scheduled to begin on the active A-10A fleet in 2006 and finish around the 2009 time frame. The A-10C will have a number of upgrades over the A-10A and will make the Warthog a viable weapons system well into this century.

Precision Engagement was born about four years ago when a plan was developed to merge a number of smaller, funded programs, into one large modification. By combining all the smaller programs into one large one a lot of money could be saved in development, testing, and installation over doing the smaller modifications separately. PE has been in development for the past four years with the first A-10C being flown at Eglin AFB on 20 Jan 05 piloted by Maj. "Lou" Rawles. The official roll-out of the the A-10C happened less than a week later on 25 Jan 05, also at Eglin.

The PE mod includes a totally redesigned main instrument panel, smart weapons capabilities, and aircraft DC power upgrades. The A-10C cockpit will receive 2 5X5 multifunction Color Displays (MFCDs), a Hands On Stick and Throttle (HOTAS) system with a modified F-15E right throttle grip, and a modified F-16 control stick grip. Other cockpit items include an Upfront Controller, new Armament HUD control panel, and a redesigned main instrument panel to hold it all.

External changes to the A-10C will be minimal being confined to the weapons pylons, you will really have to know your Hawg to be able to spot an "A" from a "C" from the outside. All A-10s are receiving an upgraded, more powerful LASTE computer being done as a separate modification so A models can have the improved capabilites before their PE upgrade. The newer, more powerful, Integrated Flight and Fire Control Computer (IFFCC), pronounced "If-C", modification will be completed this year (2005).

The schedule for the modification (who get it when) is still being developed and will be driven by the needs of the Air Force.

I believe some Hawgs are being retired to "pay" for the PE upgrades. I don't have the numbers in front of me (I am on leave at the moment) but I will see if I can get them.

In the mean time, this Air Force Times article covers it pretty well...

HawgRebirth.jpg

By the way, there is one small error in the article on the ammo load number...it should be 1,174 +/- 5 rounds...

Cheers! M2

I always laugh at the people who say F-35s will replace the A-10. Riiiiiiiiiight. A plane with a huge freaking gun and the ability to take a lot of flak and get home just doesn't need to be that high tech. Hell, when the wings start falling off from fatigue 15 years down the road, we should pull the tooling out of moth balls and restart the production line. With F-119s. Now that would be cool. A-10s with F-119s. Gratuitous and useless, but cool.

Guest kmgraham79

Here ya go buddy...here's a website that quotes exactly what I've heard from a few other websites: http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/. I have the same opinion as you do about the A-10 being replaced by the JSF...it's ridiculous, but don't come aiming to shoot someone down on this forum. This forum is for informational purposes to help those who are looking for a job flying the best aircraft money has to buy or talking about their experiences flying the best aircraft money has to buy...this is not a place for target practice on those who are willing to give you an honest opinion or the information that they have gained. We're here to fill each other in on personal experiences or knowledge and to share cool info...not to rip someone a new one.

I know there are some top A-10 folks here...are there any physical differences between an A-10 and O/A-10? Will there be an O/A-10C?

Pogo

No physical differences in the jet, just the mission. An OA-10 is an airborne FAC with a different weapons load.

There are some who think the OA-10 designation came about during Cheney's axing of single mission tactical USAF aircraft post-DESERT STORM. Adding the observation mission made the Hawg a dual-role a/c, see? Funding was also an issue, but that gets too complex.

Bottom line, it is the same aircraft. A Hawg can fly an OA-10 mission in the morning and an A-10 mission in the afternoon...

Cheers! M2

[ 07. April 2005, 11:54: Message edited by: MajorMadMax ]

Hey guys! As I'm guessing the youngest A-10 pilot on here, (100.7 hours and growing everyday during MQT)I feel it is my civic duty to at least post on here. The A-10 is an Amazing aircraft! It was my first choice out of pilot training, but it was a tough decision to make. Now, I couldn't be happier! To directly answer some questions. First off, yes the A-10 is "more hands on" if you are looking at it from a flying perspective. What I mean is that we are pretty much the only VFR fighter out here. No autopilot BS! Not that the others don't EVER fly VFR, but they really don't, according to my fellow LT bros. At DM, we took IFR, cancelled about 4-5 minutes into the flight and went VFR the rest of the sortie. Here at Whiteman, we are VFR from the start; Takeoff to Touchdown.... and it's great!!!! Bombing and strafing - simply the coolest things I've ever done in a plane! With our new IFC, our bombing passes and scores are amazingly accurate! The "bet" just gets harder and harder to win...but for us young guys, we have a chance now since all the OFA's are used to HARS bombing, which for those who don't know, it's simply old, but VERY VERY reliable technology. Us new guys, we've had XBox and Playstation preparing us for years for the "green stuff". Here at Whiteman, we are scheduled to get our new MFD's this fall already. I may be wrong here, but I know we are one of the very first units to get them, if not the first. In case some are wondering, Whiteman DOES have A-10's. The 303 Fighter Squadron (part of the 442 Fighter Wing). It is a reserve unit, but I am active duty who got luckier than hell getting assigned here with the reserve's for 3 years!!!! Lastly, as a young A-10 pilot, I can tell you this community is simply awesome! All the dudes have taken care of me, feed me, helped me out with "life shit" and about anything else you can think of. If getting as close as you can to the action in a fighter/attack airplane is your gig, then come our way! Don't let any Eagle or Viper guy tell you we are a second rate fighter. Talk to the dudes who are the real badasses (those on the ground) and they will tell you the Hawg reigns supreme! I can't wait til the day I get a call from some bros in the mud who need some CAS like no one's business and I get to roll in and display the awesome power of the best fighter ever made, IMHO! By the way, I have a BFM sortie tomorrow?????? For you Viper guys, I just had to say that to prove we do practice it... it just sounds funny like when you guys are doing a "CAS sortie". Later. Oh yeah, I'm chuking any spears here, I love all the jets. They all have their purpose, but I'd be remissed if I didn't claim mine to be king of the hill!

Saluki,

I like your enthusiasm, but your facts are a litte off.

The A-10 hasn't had HARS as the primary bombing mode since the early 80's. It was truly a "bugger on windscreen" bomber back then.

The Aircraft has had an INS from the early 80's. This was a step up from HARS and provided wind correction. The bombing was still challenging and the sight depression had to be set manually and corrected for winds.

From about the 1992 on...the Hog got LASTE (Low Altitude Safety and Targeting Enhancement) in addition to an INS. This gave the jet a true CCIP (constantly computed impact point) capability. The jet has been extremely accurate from this point on. In about 2001, the Hog got a GPS integrated with the INS...that combination is called EGI. LASTE has gone through several iterations; 3.3, 4.0, 6.0, Suite 2.

We now have some limited integration with the Litening II targeting pod and the ability to drop laser guided bombs. PE (precision engagement) will give us an updated cockpit and full targeting pod integration and JDAM capability.

In parallel with the development of PE, the Guard/Reserves are looking at cheaper integrations for smart weapons and data link (generally refered to as smart MFD). If PE gets killed...the Guard/Reserves will at least get piece of the pie with Smart MFD.

• 2 months later...
Guest sickels101

I used the search function and was unable to find anything about A-10 RTU. Basically, I just want to know how long it runs and if anyone has any website/info on it. Thanks.

The B-course (what RTU/FTU is called for slang)calls for about 6-7 months with a reality of about 7-8. My first flight was the last day of August in 04 and my last flight there was the 4 of Mar this year. Like already posted, it is a PCS now and yes, it is an incredible time in a wonderful place!!! U of A's "scenery" is amazing.

Hey...don't forget about Barksdale AFB.

Davis-Monthan (Tucson) does train the majority of the intial qual A-10 pilots--guys right out of UPT. But, some of the initial qual, many of the requal, and almost all of the senior officers are trained by the 47th Fighter Squadron at Barksdale.

We have three active duty lieutenants just about ready to graduate at Barksdale. They are headed for Pope AFB, Korea, and Germany.

The 47th survived BRAC and is supposed to get nine more jets--for a total of 24. For now we are still in the training business (FTU) but there is rumbling that we'll transition to become a combat unit, or have a hybrid role (FTU & Combat).

I think Tucson (D-M) is awsome too, and if I were going through initial qual, I'd rather go there. But, most of the re-qual guys want to come to Barksdale because we are more flexible and graduate our students faster.

Unlike D-M, the instructor pilots at Barksdale teach all the academics, and simulator sessions, as well as the flight instruction. We don't have our hands tied by contractors--which is a blessing and a curse really. Last week I flew three instructional sorties (which take most of the day), taught about 8 hours of classes, and scheduled and SOF'd. I'd like to think we earn our big paychecks.

Not saying it's the hardest training and that no one can do it, just it is harder than it used to be. Many instructors and current IP's there all have said it is much more difficult now than when they went through. Expect 12 hour days early on through about the 1.5-2.0 month period, then 2-3 weeks of relaxing while getting Form 8's done. Then weapons, tactics, and a few other BS academics begin along with all the simulators and flights. In short, you will be busy a lot of the course, but you will still have a little time to golf some of the best courses in the country! Last thing - a lot of it depends on your FTU squadron as well. Dragons run a little different ship than the Lobo's and vice versa.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rainman A-10

1760 bus, DSMS, TGP integration, IAMS capability, crap like that.

Unknown yet. I hope the tactics won't change but I'm afraid they are slowy but surely making the A-10 into a 300kt LGPOS. Based on the last conference call and the number of times I heard the words "stop test" from my buds at the 422 it might be a while before we see the jets. The SPO is really struggling to modify the airplanes, too.

The goal is to get A-10Cs into the AEF cycle by Jan-May 07.

I'll never fly one.

Guest Animal

"Which window?" That's so "last war". The hippest question to ask at the CAOC this season is "Which testicle?"

...of course you now also have to add "...and I'm going to do it from a long ways away while looking in the other direction."

I think FDL combined with TGT Pod integration will water anyone's eyes who hasn't expereienced it. I just hope there aren't too many "task saturation" complications along the way. I want to keep Rainman's Mark 1 Eyeball skills active and in the inventory just in case everyone else's computer takes a dump!

ANIMAL

[ 27. July 2005, 22:11: Message edited by: Animal ]

We were just starting to fly with the HMCS, Link 16, and targeting pods when I left Misawa. I can't wait to see the nightmare of having an HTS pod and a TGP. I think guys are going to really go back and concentrate on the basics: staying visual, staying in formation, and looking outside.

• 1 year later...

Any of the A-10 guys care to explain how you get new guys ready for their first flight in the Hog?

Is it a pretty docile ride? Is the simulator very accurate to help them prepare? Do you guys fly chase for them? If so, do you do a formation take off (you following them) or get airborne ahead of them seperately?

I am just curious - this isn't for work.

Cheers

Steve