T-Bird Question

Apologies in advance for the anal question. Hit the back button on your browser now if you have a life.

When the T-Birds pilots do their robotic dancing to the jet, up the ladder and then into the jet, they momentarily stand on the seat. My question is: on the two occasions I have flown in the back of the F-16, I've been told never to stand on the seat. Looking around the ramp it's clear it's not just because I am a fat bastard that I've been told that, because everyone else has to do the contortionist’s entry and exit from the Viper 'pit, too. So, how come the T-Birds can do it?

Incidentally, the only reason I was ever given was that the F-16's ACES II has a fibreglass seat pan. I didn't buy it because I'd have assumed the F-15's seat does too, and there are no problems with standing on that. Any ideas?

Guest Humps

Because the over worked, under paid crew chief doesn't want your dirty shit kickers on his seat?

Just a guess.

H

Because the over worked, under paid crew chief doesn't want your dirty shit kickers on his seat?

Just a guess.

I'm definitely just guessing, but that sounds more likely. I remember when we showed up aerospace phys gave us the same story for the T-6 (that we'd break the fiberglass seat pan), but when we started flying we were told that was bull sh!t and I always stepped on the seat. However different "jet" and different seat.

Does that make Eagle Crew Chiefs the dirty slackers of the MX world, then? They're more than happy to let you stomp all over their seat cushions. Then again, maybe they wash theirs, but Viper CCs don't? That would make Viper CCs the dirty slackers of the MX world.

[ 16. March 2006, 16:33: Message edited by: Steve Davies ]

Guest Viperfixer

Viper CCs are dirty slackers in many aspects of life, but not in the MX world....u can dance a f***ing jig on the seat and it's not going to break

think about it, if the seat can withstand the weight of a pilot being ejected at 43 feet per second, it can stand a few seconds of someone climbing into the cockpit....

I find it easier to get in without standing on the seat but whatever

Guest Hoser

As a current stomper of Eagle seats, I have never heard anyone in the Eagle community say we can't jump on the seats.

I do remember getting a Viper ride when I was a cadet, and I clearly remember them saying not to step on their seat. Don't know why.

Hacker was a life support officer for a while, maybe he has an idea. I'll also ask some of my Viper bro's for their point of view.

Hoser

Guest KoolKat

How reclined is that seat again? Is it enough to bust your ass & crack open your skull if you weren't experienced & careful?

BENDY

Thanks for all the responses, serious or otherwise.

One person PM'd me to say that the ACES II in the F-16 has problems with the seat plate cracking. That tallys with what's been said here and elsewhere. If true, I can now sleep easy at night.

Guest twinkle toes

As a viper crew chief, I was always told to not step on the seat, but never told why. And yes we remove the seat covers and wash them, especially when people puke or miss the piddle pack. Personally, I don't know a cc that gives a rats ass if you step on their seat. Hell, most cc's will step on their own seat to inspect the canopy rails.

Guest Absolutlyfly

That fiberglass thing doesn't make sense. Why would a seat that is degigned to rocket itself and the pilot out of the aircraft at a huge number of Gs going to break if you step on it?

Now the real question is: can a european swallow beat its wings enough times to keep itself and a coconut in the air?

Originally posted by Matt Damon:

That fiberglass thing doesn't make sense. Why would a seat that is degigned to rocket itself and the pilot out of the aircraft at a huge number of Gs going to break if you step on it?

It's an accumulative fatigue issue - at least, that's what I am being told through PM. I understand that it's a matter of a pilot's arse spreading his weight evenly accross a wide surface area of seat vs. that weight all being carried by his/her foot to a much smaller surface area. Obviously, the former is acceptable, the latter is not.

Word is that the same rule might well be coming to the Eagle world at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by Steve Davies:

Word is that the same rule might well be coming to the Eagle world at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Not sure how that would work out. The Eagle cockpit is much wider than the Viper. Not sure there are many guys that can do the split to keep one foot on each canopy rail, then lower themselves onto the seat.

Hoser

• 2 weeks later...
Guest F16PilotMD

Interesting reading. The reason you are told not to step on the seat is that, with the 30 degree recline, part of the weight "pulls" aft on the seat cover as it "slides" down the incline. This will tear the cover at the front. If the seat were upright like the Eagle or Hog, that wouldn't happen. It happened EARLY in the Viper's life and became a "rule".

And now you know...the rest of the story..........Goodday.