Civilian ratings after UPT

Guest LocoF16

Guest C21OneDay

Thanks for the helpful info. Anyone have any info, disregard, gouge or test bank for the MCA CAT tests?

Guest Awol55

Chuck and Sneedro are right on the money, Bergman. If you have an AMEL certificate, you still need the ASEL to fly SE, or a COMM ASEL (or AMEL) to fly for hire. And yes, you do have to take that stuff to the FSDO (Flight Standards District Office), and get the stuff certified. Once you have an instrument rating, it qualifies you to fly instruments only in that category (FW guys that have an instrument rating can't fly helo's in IMC. Clear as mud?

[ 15. April 2005, 20:34: Message edited by: Awol55 ]

Mine says Instrument airplane, so I should be able to fly any IFR capable airplane into the weather. No helos, airships, gliders, etc. only airplanes with one or more engines. Am I correct in this assumption? That's what the folks at the FSDO told me.

Originally posted by PAB:

Mine says Instrument airplane, so I should be able to fly any IFR capable airplane into the weather. No helos, airships, gliders, etc. only airplanes with one or more engines. Am I correct in this assumption? That's what the folks at the FSDO told me.

As long as you are current, and have a single engine instrument, yes.

Guest AV8NSP

PAB-

The instrument rating counts for all "airplanes" you are licensed to fly, as stated above. I asked this question when I got my Comm SE Add-on, and that's what the Feds told me...

PS- Finally done with Altus and doing MQT at my unit!!

Originally posted by PAB:

So my next question is...why doesn't my license have "instrument airplane" listed under the "Single Engine Land" and "Multi Engine Land" sections on the back? The instrument rating is only listed under the AMEL section...which is why I asked the question. It seems logical to me that it should be listed under both, but perhaps it was just a typo or omossion when they printed my license.

Go to this link and type in your information FAA Airmen Registry . If it looks like this, you are good to go. It doesn't list instrument under ASEL and AMEL, but under the blanket Commercial Certificate.

Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT

Rating(s):

COMMERCIAL PILOT

AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Thanks for the link. Here's what it has:

DOI : 10/07/2003

Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT

Rating(s):

COMMERCIAL PILOT

- AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

- INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

PRIVATE PRIVILEGES

- AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Type Ratings

C/BE-400 C/MU-300

So based on that, what's the verdict? I would LOVE to see a regulation on this somewhere, but have been unable to find anything conclusive on my own. I've been asking opinions on this for over a year now, and the split seems to be 50/50 whether the instrument applies to both SEL and MEL or whether it doesn't.

I will call the FSDO this week to see what they say. I'll post the results for anyone in the peanut gallery who might also be curious.

In your case, you may only exercise private pilot privleges in single engine aircraft. Some people only have multi engine ratings, and they can't just go rent a 172 because they fly bigger shit. Similarly, I can't go take a twin into IMC just because I have an instrument rating.

Bergman, that is what my certificate looked like when I was between my multi and single commercial cert. work. I was told that it is written that way to show that you cannot work for hire in a single engine. You still have an "INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE" rating which means you can fly IMC in an airplane, be it single or multi engine. You should be good to go in a 172 or a twin. Again, that is my understanding based on my experience. Unfortunately it would take me some time to find a reg to back me up on that, but let us know what you find out after talking to the FSDO.