Mountain Home AFB info

Guest UWpilot

Guest UWpilot

I just got Mountain Home as my casual base and I was hoping people who are or were stationed there could tell me what its like, if they enjoy(ed) it, if the O-club is fun and all that.

Also If anyone knows the rules for grabbing a backseat ride in a 15, please post! I dont know any of the requried medical, safety, whatever rules!

I grew up in Boise, about 45 minutes away. Good nightlife, blue turf on the football field. Great skiing about 2 hours away. I can help ya with that kinda stuff, as for the base I can field some questions but I am sure there are guys here that know more than me.

I'll second that advice on Boise. It's been a long time since I was at "Mountain Goat," and the base has changed considerably since that time; but I doubt there is much that would keep you on base during the weekends. The trip to Boise isn't that bad, Bogus Basin is a great place to hang out when it's hot, or go tubbing down the Boise River. There is a nice Greenbelt that runs along the river and by BSU, and the downtown bar scene was a lot of fun. Maybe not quite 6th Street in Austin; but still a blast. Vandal, do the kids still cruise downtown like they did in the mid-80s?

Sun Valley is about two hours away if I recall, it is beautiful there. There are also some hot springs up in the Sawtooth Mountains that are worth checking out.

If you can't have fun in Idaho, you aren't trying hard enough!

Cheers! M2

Guest Hydro130

Everywhere you visit or live is exactly as much fun as you choose to make it. The earlier you learn that lesson as a military aviator, the better your life will be.

Be wary of any and all O Clubs these days, particularly CONUS. If you go, follow the lead of someone you trust and respect who is stationed there, not your fellow yahoo casual buddies. O Clubs today tend to be more of an opportunity for hassle than fun, but exceptions do exist. Hopefully, MH is one, but proceed with caution regardless.

Remember that this is when the USAF starts to get very small. You'll be surprised to find out you'll run into again in the future from your time on casual; this is when you start to build a reputation, so choose wisely and act smart. Regardless of your casual J-O-B, take the time to learn about the operational squadrons - be the patient & humble servant to the max . If your only agenda is to sandbag as many rides as possible, your name will be mud fast. Focus your enthusiasm on learning, not logging "other" time.

Cheers, Hydro

M2, they still do and when I haven't done that in a few years since the little racer wannabes show up en-force in their riced out civics. But when I can get my Dad's Mustang GT down there it is quite a bit of fun.

Last time I was on base (4 months ago) they were working on new base housing for Os and Es and the BX was undergoing some changes. Not a bad place all in all but you are in the middle of the desert and temps hit 100 easily in the summer. IIRC the O Club is combined. Quite a few people commute from Boise in as Mtn Home sucks. And M2 is right, if you get bored it is your fault. If you have em bring guns and go shooting, Sun Valley is amazing, McCall is 3 hours out and if you like drag racing there is a strip that does open racing every couple weeks on Friday nights.

PM me if you have local area questions, I spent 18 years there and the parents still live there. BTW if you even are contemplating seeing a BSU football game, buy your tickets now.

Guest UWpilot

Nice, thanks for all the info...I will definatly take into account being the humble LT instead of the loud mouthed ass of a LT :D

One more question, are the pilots more inclined to stay in their sqd bars or go to the O club?

Guest copenhagen

If you are military - I think Bogus/Brundage will give you the $200 season pass any time of the year - instead of the springtime special. Very good deal IMHO.

UW feel free to PM with any questions regarding ID. And don't plan on drinking on base much unless you want your DUI date to be posted all over base. I think the old days are o-v-e-r.

M2 - I hope your memory of driving around downtown Boise at night had a cop every other block. Only time I got pulled over on my bike was for "rapid acceleration" in front of Graineys.

Regarding BSU tickets - you won't get any. But there is always the End Zone bar across the street.

Guest jad1900

Never been to Mtn Home, but the base can't be too bad. It's one of the three finalists for the Installation Excellence Award given to the best overall base in the Air Force worldwide. The other two are Hurlburt Field and Columbus.

Originally posted by copenhagen:

M2 - I hope your memory of driving around downtown Boise at night had a cop every other block. Only time I got pulled over on my bike was for "rapid acceleration" in front of Graineys.

Yep, I got popped for making an illegal left turn from the center lane. Luckily the cop believed that the car in the left lane had waved me to go ahead, which was the truth but didn't negate my illegal turn. What made matters worse was that I tripped getting out of the car, making it look like I had been drinking (I hadn't).

I also got ticketed for allegedly going the wrong way down a one-way street in Ann Morrison Park (across the river from BSU, if I remember correctly), even though I told the cop I had made a U-turn prior to the one-way area. Based on the advice of a motorcycle cop I knew, I went to court on that one and won; and a week later there were 'No U-turn' signs where the incident happened.

Good times...

Cheers! M2

Originally posted by jdizzle:

Never been to Mtn Home, but the base can't be too bad. It's one of the three finalists for the Installation Excellence Award given to the best overall base in the Air Force worldwide. The other two are Hurlburt Field and Columbus.

Bad logic. I've seen plenty of crappy clubs that won Air Force level "O'club of the year" and/or "Services squadron of the Year"

Not a safe assuption that Mtn Home "can't be too bad" based on:

1) you admittedly haven't been there

2) assumption based on an Air Force award.

Some people loved their time at Mtn Home, some didn't. If you go there to fly, you'll probably have fun -- the ranges rock, and some of the F-15Es have the big engines. Then you're faced with the decision (pretty easy in my opinion) to live in the town of Mtn home (short drive - sucky town) or Boise (long drive - much better entertainment options).

Cheers

[ 24. January 2007, 15:43: Message edited by: F-15E WSO ]

Originally posted by UWpilot:

One more question, are the pilots more inclined to stay in their sqd bars or go to the O club?

We normally stay in our squadron bars unless there is "mandatory fun" at the O-club. It really depends though, we hit the club occationally.