Enlisted to Officer

Guest Bushmaster

Andrew,

If you want to go ROTC or the Academy, you'll have to separate from the AF. If you get your bachelor's while on Active Duty, then you have the option of applying to OTS/Guard/Reserves or separating then doing ROTC while completing a master's degree. Both have their pros and cons, but you can search the site for that. You'll learn a lot more that way than us just spoon feeding you information.

There is definitely a program for active duty Airmen to attend ROTC without separating. In fact they get more pay than normal cadets on scholarship. One commissioned in my class with a pilot slot, and there were at least two more non-rated ones in the class behind mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Direx230

Currently I hold a BS in Psychology and have a 4-year ENLISTED contract dating back since 2007. I'm planning to separate from active duty in 2011 and joining the AFReserves at the same time work on a masters degree. People have told me I'll pretty much make SSgT off the bast since I'm doing my 4 years and currently a SrA. Reasons on why I don't get a direct commission right now is due to the fact I want to join the reserves and still be able to live a life normally. By this I mean working a civilian job and advancing in it while do the reserve thing. I just wanted to know what are the best options to do. Should I take ROTC even though I have my BS, or would OTS be a better route but a harder task because it's harder to get into. I also heard of DACP and if that's also an option easier to get into. Please give me a feedback.

Guest kev110382

I would have to say that in my opinion, there's way too much emphasis on the O-1E pay and how much it actually means.

Most of the people that end up asking for advice here are looking to get a pilot slot which makes them younger and definitely puts them in the ranks that do not benefit from the O1-3E scale. Generally, unless you're a Tech or above, you won't lose much if any in the way of pay and only lose a little in BAH rates.

I would also say that the only thing each of programs (ASCP, SOAR, etc) have going for them is a way out of active duty. If you have over 3 years in, the new GI Bill pays so much that scholarships are not important. I just got the 12 month extension and will be able to save every cent of the $1952 BAH I'll be getting every month. The $500 stipend I get from ROTC covers enough for a frugal college student.

In my case, I force shaped out in '05 with little intention to go for a commission but ended up back in ROTC. I didn't think I'd have a shot at pilot (especially until my AF-payed-for Lasik was approved for pilots) but found out otherwise. If you're truly a rock solid person, you should have a good chance at getting a pilot slot through ROTC. We had 8 people go up for a slot this past year and 6 got picked up with the other 2 as alternates. I'll finally go up this next round and I'll be floored if I don't get one- as a prior I have a unique relationship with the cadre and know pretty much exactly where I stand with them. The other prior cadet and I tend to get info and advice most other cadets don't.

On top of that, ROTC really isn't bad at all. Yes, you're with a bunch of kids and the game can get old but some of the perks such as the free Brazil vacation I went on this summer make it very worth it. ROTC definitely ain't perfect but it's definitely the best way to get an easy commission and even pilot slot.

My .02

I would have to say that in my opinion, there's way too much emphasis on the O-1E pay and how much it actually means.

Holding off on your goal just to get that 4 yrs and day is bad advice IMHO. Yes, you miss out on a little extra cash, but not that much.

I had 2 yrs 9 mo E-time prior to going SOAR. With the scholarship covering school, GI BIll + Kicker was PLENTY to cover rent, beer, beer, and beer. College life was great.

I hit 3 years shortly after commissioning, which is the same base pay as O-1E. I missed out only on an extra hundred or so BAH. A little bit yes, but not enough to really be concerned with.

zb

Holding off on your goal just to get that 4 yrs and day is bad advice IMHO. Yes, you miss out on a little extra cash, but not that much.

Just did some quick math, and using all uber-conservative "worst-case" scenarios and the minimum difference (as described above) the estimated differences are:

$10,620 over 4 years

$33,108 over 10 years

Call it chump change is you wish, but I think that is worth it.

Either way, I know amounts of money are subjective, but I still think that even at the minimum differences, it is a valid thing to consider. And if you commission like I did at 8 years or so, the difference is WAY more. Just a thought. It's all technique.

Just did some quick math, and using all uber-conservative "worst-case" scenarios and the minimum difference (as described above) the estimated differences are:

$10,620 over 4 years

$33,108 over 10 years

Call it chump change is you wish, but I think that is worth it.

Either way, I know amounts of money are subjective, but I still think that even at the minimum differences, it is a valid thing to consider. And if you commission like I did at 8 years or so, the difference is WAY more. Just a thought. It's all technique.

Absolutely the 8 yrs prior is a difference - no arguments here.

I'm just saying that an A1C at 2 years who's ready to pull the trigger on a ROTC or OTS slot shouldn't wait another 2 years just for O-1E pay. To each his own, but the difference between regular O-1 pay and E-3 pay over those two years is over $20,000. So one could argue that kid would lose out on 20 Gs just to earn the extra 10Gs over his first 4 years as an O.

All this math makes my head hurt.

zb