Basic flying question (rudder)

PapaJu

OK so as much as I know about planes and aviation, I wasn't so sure about the answer to this one (given that I haven't flown yet). Anywho, I've heard that the rudder isn't used so much on larger jets, as opposed to props-can anyone clarify this, and why this is? Thanks.

Crash hit it. But don't use that as an execuse to leave your feet on the floor. Haven't figured out how to get rid of adverse yaw yet.

Guest mo7stanley

It really varies from plane to plane on how much rudder is needed in any particular situation. I am not sure about jets other than what crash said. In jets you don't have the left turning tendencies so you don't need so much right rudder.

Rudders are still an important control surface on small and big jets.

On Learjets, a pilot's leg will shake frantically when using rudder to fly simulated engine-out procedures--and thats with full rudder trim!

And with both the C-21 and the C-17, a 'heavy', we use the rudder all the time on approaches similar to your SE prop. For example, when on final and a crosswind is present, the old adage still applies of using ailerons into the x-wind and straigtening the nose with rudder. It's especially important in the 17 on full-flap assault landings, when we land in a 500 ft segment on a 3,500 ft runway. We HAVE to be "stabilized" in order to land--and that can not be done without proper rudder inputs.

Guest TheBurt

Wanna,

As someone has already mentioned, P-factor, torque, gyroscopic effect, and slipstream effect on propeller driven aircraft. A similar thread was started back in Feb 05 under "P-factor". I currently fly the C-130 and the B-727. C-130= very ruddercentric (maybe a new word) even with all engines operating normally, and heavily ruddercentric with an engine out, especially an outboard. B-727 rudder use not nearly as much due to torque and p-factor being almost nil. B-727 also has a very effective and necessary yaw damper, bottom line unless doing x-wind t/o or landing, and engine(s) out rudder is not used very much in the 72.

Guest TheBurt

wanna,

I just saw on your profile you live in Tallahassee, I am on a layover in Tallahassee and just got back to my hotel room, I just walked around Fla State University, wow, a lot of hotties!!!!!

Guest tentoad

Actually the rudders do get used a lot in heavies. The kicker is that the jet does it for you. The DC/KC-10 have 4 yaw dampers. The pilot gets to use the rudders when the jet doesnt know it needs some uncoordinated flight like during takeoffs and landings. Gotta use em for wing engine faiures too. Some guys, me included, use them for Rec AR- especially during limits demo's.

Guest C-21 Pilot
On Learjets, a pilot's leg will shake frantically when using rudder to fly simulated engine-out procedures--and thats with full rudder trim!
And with winter here, the shakes only get better
Hit the weight room!!!

You'll need it in the tweet to get into/outta

spins. edit: Sheot, you said larger jets, so never mind.

[ 29. November 2005, 20:30: Message edited by: priorE ]