FBI with Guard committment?

Stiffler

Not so sure about that. They require (or used to when I went through the process about 2 years ago)that you resign your reserve/guard position--they only allow INactive guard/reserve affiliation, as the Special Agent job is designated as a "emergency/critical" (or something along those lines) billet.

Guest AirGuardian

We had a current ATF agent/Pilot, but he was headed to the F Bureau eventually and elected to get out after our activation to throw more time into his primary career of agent duty! No mention of having to exit the Guard because of his current or future job, he seemed to leave on his own initiative!

Guest AirGuardian

Hence the "they only allow INactive guard/reserve affiliation" quotation. Full time/activated=NO... As already stated...

Despite our pilot leaving the Guard, he is still holds INactive affiliation - and there you have it.

[ 11. September 2004, 01:07: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Guest C-130 Nav

That's too bad. :( Being in the guard, I was actually considering applying to the FBI if I couldn't get an AGR/Technician job (that's active duty/full time for non guard/reserve folks). I guess I'll have to look for other options.

Just a comment:

Take a LONG AND HARD look at the FBI before applying. It is a completely different agency these days, and is MUCH more desk-driven than before. As someone who has worked in federal law enforcement, I can tell you that it is NOT what some puport it to be. Great job, but nothing like flying!

The FBI has also adopted, from my perspective, the worst hiring process in the G. They tend to hire those with mediocre graduate-level educations before looking at those with real life experience. I know many solid folks that were passed over for mediocrity. Just the fact that they're thinking of removing "Military/Law Enforcement Experience" from their critical skills list should be telling enough.

Again, no knock on the FBI or Federal Law Enforcement. It's just not what most think - you'll be battling it out with your AUSA much more often than putting steel on bad guys' wrists (heck, the took out the driving course from the basic academy). If you want an operational position in a time-critical "get S##T DONE" environment, fly professionally.

J.

[ 12. September 2004, 11:50: Message edited by: C150J ]

• 6 years later...

Found this thread in the search. I recently went through the process and was given a conditional offer of employment as a Special Agent with the FBI. The Agent in Charge said that it is doable, but she didn't have any advice or experience. So has anyone cracked this nut in the 7ish years since this was first posted? How did you maintain currency during the Academy? Or if you didn't, were you able to take Mil-leave for a tx course after arriving at your assignment?

I know of a few guys who do the CBP/Reserve thing, but I have yet to talk to anyone that has done the FBI/Reserve. Are they that different?

Thanks!