Klamath Falls vs Tyndall

Jaded

I'm a few weeks away from receiving my UPT assignment and have found out we have the opportunity to put down a preference for our FTU location after IFF. I've been unable to find anyone at my squadron who's spent any time at the Guard FTU in Klamath Falls, and was hoping I could get some first hand information from some of the guys on this board. Is that part of Oregon a nice place to live for the 6-9 months you'll be there? How does it compare to the "Redneck Riviera" that is Panama City?

Appreciate the info.

There are guys in my squadron that went through both. K-falls is a great area, and they get a lot more tankers for the b-coursers (fight-tank-fight's are fun).

From my .02 as an IP, it seems that the guys that go through TY get a bit better training. As for the women, it all depends on where you live and what time of year you go there. But, it's always the redneck rivera no matter what time of year...

[ 17. October 2006, 21:52: Message edited by: EvilEagle ]

• 4 years later...

Not exactly the right thread for this, but I couldn't find a Klamath Falls specific thread and it isn't worth starting a new one.

I was curious on the typical winter driving conditions through Oregon on US-97 vs I-5. I'd prefer to utilize the eastern route because it's more direct, but I could stay on interstates if I did take the longer drive on the west.

I was hoping someone who has lived in Klamath Falls might be able to tell me how bad US-97 is in the winter through Oregon.

I grew up in Southern Oregon...both highways can be hit or miss. US 97 does tend to get slammed pretty good, but so can I-5. I-5 is usually the better choice. Tire chains are basically always mandated to be carried in the winter (occasionally, even if you have 4WD)

Depends on which direction your coming from. If from the south then you'll be on I-5 until Weed, CA then up '97 to Klamath. If from the north (say the Seatle area) you'd be best to take I-5 to Hwy 58 or down to 140 and cross the mountains. There are other highways that cross the Cascades but they should probably be avoided in winter. As far as road conditions...unless it's pretty crappy and a big storm's pushing through I-5 is a safe bet. But as stated above, it's a good idea to carry chains. Hwy 97 can be pretty slow going during the winter because if there isn't packed snow or visible ice then there's sure to be black ice in the shadows and in the morning, studs are highly recommended and it's a good idea to carry chains when driving 97 in the winter. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

Edited to add: The Oregon Dept of Transportation has a good road status site at www.tripcheck.com

Edited by rafiki

I just left K-Falls yesterday on 97 and the road was completely clear. The temp was around 50 degrees and sunny. Also, if you are driving from the south you will have a great view of Mt Shasta.

Edited by dae00