MB-4 hook

Guest navwoman06

Guest navwoman

This has been a debate among a few of us at work. We are trying to figure out what the hook,or circle, or whatever you want to call it is used for. If you have your MB-4 with the wind computation side up you have a circle-hook-thing that looks like it could be used for hanging the MB-4 up in the aircraft. Why you would do this I do not know, but some people say that is what it is for. Does anyone have any other idea what it is for or is it just something that has no purpose?

One of my C-130 raised nav school INs told me during a sim that he used that to hang the whiz wheel around his neck so he could look outside but still have it handy.

We just looked at him as if he was on crack.

I have never used it for anything but spinning it on a pencil while bored. If I ever tried to hang it up, the rectangular piece of metal would fall out.

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Scooter14:

One of my C-130 raised nav school INs told me during a sim that he used that to hang the whiz wheel around his neck so he could look outside but still have it handy.

We just looked at him as if he was on crack.

I have never used it for anything but spinning it on a pencil while bored. If I ever tried to hang it up, the rectangular piece of metal would fall out.

I've seen Herk navs use it like that (neck thing). Or hang it from somewhere easy to get at the Nav desk. To each thier own, I suppose...

Cheers, Hydro

EDIT: character flaw

[ 06. May 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Guest Shady

I can’t believe we’re actually discussing the lanyard ring on a whiz wheel, but here goes. When I was a Herc Nav, we would run a piece of parachute chord through the ring so it was holding both a whiz wheel (without the metal slide) and a stop watch. The pilots would hang theirs around the window latch and the Navs would hand it around their neck so they would have it while standing at the window.

Guest Hydro130

To clarify (should've done this earlier), the Nav and the PNF in the Herk should both have a stopwatch and whiz-wheel handy.

As Shady said (and I've said in a pevious post), most pilots hang their stopwatch on the swing-window latch. I tied my whiz-wheel (yes, worthless slide rule removed) into my checklist (long story, but it worked).

Some Navs hang it around their neck, some velcro it to their nametag spot, some hang it somewhere at the Nav desk, and some finaggle it onto their clipboard. Some leave it their pubs bag.

Again, to each their own.

Sounds like Herk dudes (non-Js of course) are the only ones who use them any more...

Have fun when SCNS goes blank :D

Cheers, Hydro

EDIT: But, hell, Shady's right. This whole discussion is quite ridiculous.

[ 06. May 2006, 14:17: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Originally posted by Riddller:

What, nobody uses the CR-5 any more? They fit great into one of the chest pockets on the flight suit, to be whipped out (STS) whenever needed!!

I think that one's a navy-ism, but I'm not too sure. We were issued small e6-b's when we got down here, but the CR-5 is what we're being taught to use. Funny thing though, we were told specifically not to wear them around our necks.

Guest rotorhead

Parachute cord is wrong....24K chain helps make the whizwheel better SNAP/SNACSO bling around the neck.

Everyone else uses the damn thing to cut pizza.

Guest ruckerstud

That has got to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time (the gold thing, I could see using it to cut pizza)

Originally posted by JReyn:

I think that one's a navy-ism, but I'm not too sure. We were issued small e6-b's when we got down here, but the CR-5 is what we're being taught to use. Funny thing though, we were told specifically not to wear them around our necks.

That was the impression I got from the AF nav instructor during API. We were issued the E6-B's, but told "not to worry about them, the Navy uses the CR-3, and that's what you'll be taught", so that's why I say CR-3=Navy.

I'm guessing the marines send their navs through the program side by side with the AF guys. Did you all get the CR-3?

Who knows. I like the CR-5 myself.

We actually had our own Nav school. The AF didn't like the idea of having enlisted right next to their officers doing the same thing I'm guessing. That, and the Marines probably didn't like the AF way of doing things either. Either way, its a moot point. The Marines shut down the Nav school a few years ago. Due to the J model, no more 130 Navs will be made. The ones who are still in get to stay as long as they want though, they still have T-models that need Navs at the reserve squadrons, so they'll have a job for a while. We all got the CR-3 at school, but like I said, when we finished we got the CR-5 'cuz it was more portable.