Moody AFB information

Guest newflyer

Guest newflyer

Any tips on housing? I am married w/kids. I called Moody's housing office and was told there was a 12 month wait...not much help for 6 months of training.

Someone told me that all UPT students had to live on base and that we were basically stuck on base. Can anyone validate or dispell that rumor?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lovelacm

I was casual there with the 71RQS for 6 months before heading to CBM for UPT back in 2000.

2 Words - Cider Joe! Head on down to Charley O'Corley's in town and grab one for me! I hope that place is still open... used to be a huge hang out for us Herk Drivin' types.

Guest Jollygreen

http://wwwmil.moody.af.mil/ is MAFB's official site. I'm not sure if it is only accessable from .mil computers or if any internet connection will work.

You can also try the 479th website at https://wwwmil.moody.af.mil/groups/tnt/479ftg/index.htm. It includes a good deal of information and instruction.

MAFB has a severe shortage of MFH. Everything I could find pointed to living off-base.

• 7 months later...
Guest lovelacm

Spent my first 6 months in the AF at Moody in the 71RQS. Great location.. Vdosta is a nice college town. Small mall, but several good restaurants. Family Pizza located just off base. Community LOVES the Air Force!

Short distance to drive to JAX or T-hasse. About 6 hours to ATL. Great hunting and fishing in the area. A whole outlet mall just like 2-3 exits South on I-75(?).

Enjoy! Cheers!

Linda

Guest NoseArtGal

I was just up there not too long ago. Great community of IPs and nice location. I went to school in Tally myself and I'm a big fan of T-town though I'm not sure if it would have been a good thing to be that close to Bullwinkles and Clydes and Costellos while in UPT

But then again...

Originally posted by lovelacm:

About 6 hours to ATL.

Herk drivers must drive like grannies!

It's about 4 hours and change to Atlanta.

I'll echo the thoughts on Valdosta. Nice, small southern college town with a good business district. Compared to Columbus (only other UPT base I've been stationed at), this place is the clear winner in all categories.

Guest IAGuardWife

Six hours? Are you walking? Sorry, I am from Atlanta and went to school in South Georgia, so if it's taking you 6 hours to get to Atl, it's via Jacksonville or something! Depending on where you are going in Atl, you can make it very easily in under 4 hours. I can make it home from Valdosta in 3 (but my family is a little south of town)

Just beware the alligators if you are fishing or waterskiing.

[ 01. December 2004, 07:19: Message edited by: IAGuardWife ]

Guest lovelacm

OK.. so I haven't been at Moody since 2000.. gimmie a fricken break! If I could drive I-75 at the speeds I can LEGALLY drive on the Autobahn, I'd have that down to under 3!

Hit Charley O'Corley's and ask for a Cider Joe... Yum.

That must've been 6 hours from Daytona to Atlanta.. yeah.. that's the ticket!

Smokin' Crack and Not Sharin'

Linda

[ 01. December 2004, 12:20: Message edited by: lovelacm ]

Moody is tight, PCSing aint a big deal though it does roll you back one to two classes. As far as the wives, well, Opie, you know im not married, but some of the guys in the last class that tracked requested the same base and most got it, so its not like you leave and dont know anybody with the exception of Corpus or Rucker maybe.

Oh, and hacker, i wasnt there but i was depressed to hear that nobody yelled "choke yourself" at the last track select.

• 1 month later...

I have been living in Valdosta going to Grad School for 1.5 years and will be leaving in August '05. Thus far I have enjoyed my stay here and the people are friendly. I am from Atlanta and it is 3-3.5 hrs away, Jacksonville 2.5, and Tallahassee 2. I met my b-f here while he was in training and everyone that was here with him really enjoyed the town and people! With that said, I am confident that you will enjoy your time here and the southern hospitality :D

• 2 months later...

I was at Moody on casual and back again for IFF. I'd live in town, it's a painful drive, but it's much easier to go out if you live downtown. I rented a house when I was casual out by the base, but realize the base is 10 miles from town (speed limit 45 with lots of cops). But, it was convinient for work. (wish I'd lived in town).

Right next to Staten Crossing are apartments called Three Oaks. I lived there for my 6 months of T-6. For a 2BR w/fireplace, rent was around $500. They weren't as new as Staten Crossing, but they were still ok, and less $$. They had 2 big pools which my classmates and I would always hold bar-b-ques every Friday afternoon/evening. The apartments had a good mix of military, college students, and regular folks.

Guest twood

AFPilot,

I go to school in Valdosta, There are plenty of great places to live and also really crappy too. There are always houses to rent, but I would get an apartment cause a lot of the landlords here suck (at least that has been my experience), and aprartments are easier to find. Some good apartments here in between Moody and town are Spanish Mission, Northwind, and Courtyard. I know Courtyard gives a military discount. All of them also are close to Bemiss Road which is a straight shot to Moody. Hope this helped out and make sure you enjoy remerton (its a small town that Valdosta surronds and baiscally the only thing they have are a strip of bars, just watch out the cops are a$$ holes.)

• 2 months later...

Valdosta is a great place for UPT. I left in December. For housing, I rented a house from Cooper Real Estate only a few miles from base. Most of my friends rented houses too. When we split the rent I only paid $250/mo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twood

Some of the newer apartments in Valdosta close to Moody that a lot of UPT studs live in are Staten Crossing, Northwind, and The Courtyard. Staten Crossing and Northwind probably have the highest concentration of UPT studs. The Courtyard is where Moody sets up all the IFF studs. All of these are good apartment complexes, with a lot of local college girls hanging around the pools when its hot (and it usually is). I go to school at VSU so if you have any additional questions PM me. Also visit Remerton on the weekends to chase ass and get hammered......

• 1 month later...
Guest PilotKD

I was at Moody from March '03 till February '04. I lived downtown by the mall (right past Walmart) in the Spring Chase apartments. Kinda far from base, but it was nice. The base is out in the middle of nowhere just like every other AF base. Rent was reasonable and low enough to bank nearly half of my BAH after utilities. I recommend either The Links or Staten Crossing. They're closer to base (about 10 minutes closer). Both are abit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. There are a million traffic lights in town that are on timers, not pressure switches, so you'll get stuck at 10 of them at 4am even if noone is crossing the intersection. Very annoying. That and there was this damn 5 mile long freight train that'd come through in the morning that I waited for numerous times. :D Ah, Valdosta. Brings back memories. Best UPT base in the AF. Too bad they're BRAC'ing it. You've got Atlanta, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Orlando and Daytona Beach within driving distance and you don't have to take leave to go there. Make sure you're studying though. :D

• 4 months later...
Guest cblack05

I talked with one of my NCO's today and was told I was orignally given Moody for casual and UPT, but that I was being changed. She said Moody is re-vamping UPT right now and won't be ready for UPT soon enough and that everybody that's heading there is having to be changed to somewhere else (it's what she was told by headquarters). My confussion is that I'm seeing other people in the ROTC lounge getting Moody for UPT. Does anyone know what the situation for UPT at Moody is? My start date was scheduled for Sep. '07 and I graduate in May. I did a search and couldn't find anything about this specifically. Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Moody has had Phase II of UPT (T-6 only) for a few years now (the first was FY 02 IIRC). The last round of BRAC planned to move the Moody T-6 and T-38's to Columbus, Laughlin, Vance, Randolph and Sheppard. Not sure when/if that actually goes into effect.

Hoser

• 2 months later...
Guest nickarij

We just got back from a house hunting trip in Valdosta...

You can be put on the wait list for base housing, but the wait list is 9-12 months... and UPT is only 6 months there. There are only 32 officer houses.

If you rent an apt, you should have no problems getting a good one.

Houses, on the other hand, are harder to get in to. There are not many great houses available and lots of people who want them. For example, we looked at 2 homes we LOVED and by the time we got back to the rental office, they had already been rented. Your best bet for renting a house is to go to the housing management office and pick up a list of available homes for rent in the area. If you can find one that is rented by a "private party", not a rental company, you have a better chance of getting it. We looked from 8 AM straight until 6 PM and found nothing. The first house we looked at on the list was the winner and we secured it within an hour.

We were at Moody for UPT a year ago and are moving back next week. I know quite a bit about the area. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me.

Guest justagirl22

It seems to me like most people really love Northwind, but they're a little pricey. I live in a townhome at Spanish Mission, which is older but a little cheaper. I really like it though(having no upstairs or downstairs neighbors won me over) and the landlords are great--they're even watching my cat for me while I'm with my husband at ASBC If you get a chance to look before you move, those would be my two suggestions. There are also housing areas on the way to the base (off Bemiss Road either direction) that are nice, but that would take probably just looking around, or like KTKody said, check the listings. Stay away from Tall Tree and stay away from Three Oaks. Just my suggestion.

Guest justagirl22

If you want a substitute job there's a high demand... I can get you in touch with someone who would pretty much get you in by recommendation. But as far as fulltime teachers... that's a little more difficult I'll see if I can find anything out and I'll get back to you on that one! You might not be at Moody long enough to justify a fulltime position anyway, I don't know. Some people end up staying for the third phase (mainly fighters) but most leave, and since they're trying to phase out training altogether at Moody, you might want to think about the fact that you won't be there long! Sorry, that was a long answer to a simple question