Financial Problems

Guest Wxpunk

Okay. I've hit this problem from just about every angle I can think of but have yet to come up with a solution.

I leave for Randolph (UNT) very soon. Because of my son's heart condition, he needs to stay near his surgeons back home. On top of that, my wife has a great job and my daughter is in a school program that you have to be accepted to and will have to re-apply if she leaves (lottery). Needless to say, they have to stay home.

Here's the dilemma:

Base pay - taxes + BAH (waived for dependent location) + BAS = Civilian Pay (almost to the penny).

Since I have to accept BAH to maintain my household back home, I cannot live on base. To live off base will cost, at least, $500/month, probably more. I'm pretty sure I can't afford that right now.

Short of a miracle, what can be done to make this problem disappear? I don't care if I have to live in the crappiest dorm on the planet, I'll do it if I can.

I guess this is where networking comes in to play and BaseOps.net has a lot of Officers working in funny shaped buildings!

Seriously, I need help with this one. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

-------------

Wxpunk

Login...you need to go back and read his post! He explained in pretty good detail why his family can't move to SA.

WX...you're right about the $500/mo to live. Step 1 will be finding a roommate. Back when I was there for UNT (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) rent was ~$600/mo for a 2 bedroom place, plus utils. So you might get under $500.

You will also start getting flight pay once you get there...$125 a month isn't a lot, but it all helps.

You can try to meet with the dorm manager and sweet talk them into a dorm...but you will run the risk of getting them to say "OK" and 2 months later discovering that finance found out about it and started nixing your BAH, which I assume would be much more of a financial hardship that the $500/mo for an apartment. You don't want to deal with that aggrivation while in training - because it would most likely end up with you having to move.

There is the off chance you could get a waiver to live on base AND get BAH...which I guess is your original question. You don't know until you ask! Wish I could be more help there.

Guest Rainman A-10

What are the rules on FSA? Do they still have such a thing?

Have you talked to your commander about any of this?

I hate to say this but I see these kinds of questions come up all the time. The kids come in and apply for pilot (or Nav) jobs and say the training and TDY and eventual kick back out on the street will be no problem ans then they start to flail after they get picked up. They foreget to save money or they forget to look ahead for a job or they get used to their AD pay while on orders and get stretched thin with car/house/credit card bills.

I know it sucks but sometimes serving in the Guard will hurt a little bit, it comes with the territory. I'm thinking your commander can definitely help you find the answers but you will likely have to chow down a little.

Forgive me, but what is FSA?

Anyhow, I just spoke with a MSgt dorm manager at Randolph and he's saying it shouldn't be a problem.

I mentioned that this is considered a PCS but my family cannot come with me (STS, proper). He said that I will maintain my BAH and be able to stay in the dorms "unaccompanied".

Does this sound feasible? If so, my stress level will surely go down a few pegs.

Thanks for all your help!

------------

Wxpunk

FSA = Family Separation Allowance.

To receive the FSA you must meet the following criteria:

- Movement of dependents to the permanent duty station at Government expense is not authorized. This presupposes that the dependents do not already live at or near that station.

- The member is on duty on board a ship away from the home port of the ship for a period of more than 30 continuous days.

- The member is on temporary duty away from the permanent duty station for a continuous period of more than 30 days and the dependents do not live at or near the temporary duty station.

Unfortunately...

Service-members that volunteer to serve an unaccompanied tour of duty at a permanent duty station where the movement of dependents at Government expense is authorized, are not entitled to the family separation allowance under the first condition noted above.
Sounds like a dorm option is your best solution, if you can pull it off...I believe it has been done before.

Cheers! M2

Guest Navtastic

If the dorm manager hasn't guaranteed that you can live in the dorms and still receive BAH, make sure you get that guarantee before moving in. Also, the commander of the 562 is very "user friendly". I'm sure that if you explain why your fam can't move down to SA, he'll find a way to make things more comfortable for you. He doesn't bite - just chews a bit.

Guest rumblefish_2

I don't know if this would be a great option for you or not...USAA used to do a sweet low-interest loan to new 2Lts within a year of commissioning. Does anyone know if they still do this? Just throwing another nugget out there for ya...

Guest SuperStallionIP

Wx,

Look into geographical bachelor status. You have an exceptional family member situation and would qualify under this. It would allow you to collect all the pay and allowances plus live in geo-bachelor quarters/BOQ for next to nothing. Look into it.

The BigIron

Originally posted by rumblefish_2:

I don't know if this would be a great option for you or not...USAA used to do a sweet low-interest loan to new 2Lts within a year of commissioning. Does anyone know if they still do this? Just throwing another nugget out there for ya...

It would kinda suck to take a loan out, but the USAA does still offer that low interest loan to ne Lt's. Its 3.49% APR up to $25,000, but I believe that $20k has to be secured with an auto and the other $5k can be unsecured.

Someone mentioned EFMP (now known as something else, which I can't remember). This is directly from AFPC's EFMP web site:

EFMP allows the assignment of airmen to valid manning requirements where suitable medical, educational, or other resources are available to treat the family member. It provides special assignment consideration to AF members who have a spouse, child, or dependent adult with medical conditions requiring prolonged hospitalization or out-patient treatment.
In other words, EFMP would help Wxpunk get to a particular place to ensure his son would get the medical care he needed. More info here. Doesn't apply in this situation...I know that is of no help, I just don't want him to go down a dead end road...

And if for some reason you do go the dorm route and get booted, give me a shout. I am on the other side of town from Randolph, but we have a guest room so you don't have to sleep at the bus stop downtown... :eek:

Cheers! M2

Guest SuperStallionIP

I mentioned the exception family member mainly because it might help Wxpunk's dealings with whoever go in his favor. Given his situation, they are more apt to work with him to get him the most ideal situation possible. Just another possible horse-trading tool is all.

The EFMP is a valid point to make. True, not useful in this situation, but in the future it may be a quite valuable program to be aware of.

I definitly second Mambo's post. I think this is probably one of the best ways to use this website.

It's not always easy to ask for help, but if you do it with foresight, it much, much easier.

Back from vacation now (loved the 18 [hour] drive,) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

BENDY

{EDIT: For got my unit. I mean units.]

[ 20. September 2005, 16:43: Message edited by: Bender ]

Wxpunk

First and foremost, I hope your son is doing well!

You've got a Guard slot, right? As such, EFMP doesn't apply. Unless your son is enrolled in the program, I would leave it out of the equation. His medical condition is enough to justify your family staying behind, if you bring up EMFP and they find out he isn't in the program (they may contact the FSP to check), it will only complicate things.

But, having said all that, if you do go AD be sure to get the EMFP stuff taken care of first thing. My youngest in enrolled for his autism, and it does help when we need to get him to a developmental pediatrician or some other similar appointments. I am very familiar with what the program can and cannot do, I was the Special Needs Committee Chairmain at my last assignment.

Cheers! M2