Solicited by a FW?!

Guest BLEEDS ON

Guest BLEEDS ON

I just got a notice from a fighter wing in the NE to apply with their unit for an upcoming board. First off, I've never talked to this unit in any way. Has this ever happened to anyone? I don't even know how they got my info. Regardless, I'm staying loyal to my sponsoring unit.

Guest comanche

bleeds I'll take it!!!!! Reserve or Guard? You should find out how they got your info. I need to have them get my info some how

Guest JoeMama

I got a notice from them too. Are you sure you NEVER contacted them? I applied for that unit several years ago, and I'm obviously still on their mailing list.

That's weird if you never contacted the unit in any way...I assumed they sent out mass mailings from all the prior applicants and anyone interested in UPT who gave them an address. I'm sure they didn't single you out and try to steal you away from another unit.

Aren't they the NY unit that is getting UAVs? :D

The bastards took our Block 30 F-16s two years ago! Yes, I know it was NGB that made the decision. But I still give "The Boys" grief about it. At least we have our -135Es now...*cough*

Guest BLEEDS ON

Bergman, you must have been in the Sioux City unit? Jordan, where are you at now with training? No I never contacted them nor applied or anything. Call me stupid, but I never made an effort to talk to the 174th because I had absolutely no desire to live in NY. Limiting my options, I know, but I just knew I would have defeated myself before the interview by a lack of sincere enthusiasm. Just picking battles I knew I had a better chance of winning.

[ 22. March 2005, 18:49: Message edited by: BLEEDS ON ]

Guest JoeMama

That's weird...wonder how they got your address and why they would solicit someone who's never contacted them. I guess take it as a compliment and move on...

I'm still waiting for my ENJJPT orders..supposed to start 25 April.

Guest purplecaddis
Originally posted by Bergman:

Aren't they the NY unit that is getting UAVs? :D

The bastards took our Block 30 F-16s two years ago! Yes, I know it was NGB that made the decision. But I still give "The Boys" grief about it. At least we have our -135Es now...*cough*

Actually Bergman, the blame lays in Des Moines! Gotta love the politics!

Originally posted by Caddis:

Actually Bergman, the blame lays in Des Moines! Gotta love the politics!

True enough! Legend has it that the 185th actually found out about the conversion from the viper unit in South Dakota..."Hey guys, we just heard you're getting tankers in 2 years. Any truth to that??" After some calls to Des Moines they found out that it was true and no one at HQ had bothered to tell us. So the story goes, at least. I can't blame the Des Moines guys too much...if given the choice of switching 1 unit to -135s from -16s, I'd say "NOT IT" as well.

I'm a career -135 guy (nav now pilot) so the conversion worked out pretty well for me...might not have been hired except for my prior -135 experience (and charming personality! :cool: ).

(and charming personality! :cool: ).
...and you said **** in the interview, too, which I'm sure helped.

Hey, look at it this way, it's either Block 30 Vipers to 48 year old E models in 2002, or it's Block 30 Vipers to fresh off the line, still has that new-control-van-smell UAV's.

Oh, and New York is not part of the Northeast. We don't want 'em.

[ 25. March 2005, 08:36: Message edited by: PAB ]

Wow. That sucks. :(

I wonder about "trickle down" effects. I know Air Refueling is in demand right now, and obviously, suporting deloyments, airbridge ops and air defense will keep us employed, but a lot of our day-to-day training work is supporting the various ANG fighter units in the Northeast (since that's all we got around here, no more AF Active Duty).

If they make all of our little buddies into balsa wood and pusher props, then who will we train against? :confused:

Guest kmgraham79

Turn on CNN. Their talking about f-16 sales. I saw the headline but was unable to hear what they were talking about. I think Condoleeza Rice was talking to India about sales of F-16's...not sure whether they specified if they belonged to AD or Guard units.