New ABU's

Gravedigger

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this some kind of a joke?!?!?

HOW AWFUL!

I am beginning to SERIOUSLY rethink my joining the ANG. At least in the Navy Reserve, I can still wear khakis when I can't wear a bag.

Guest egghead

I make a joke out of it and call it the #1 reason I want a pilot slot. Smurf DU's. Just 'cuz someone (okay okay that someone is the CSAF!) want's a distinctive USAF uniform (with a borrowed Marine hat). I hate theese uniforms. They are just hiedous!

I remember when the same thing was being said about switching from the pickle suit to the BDU's. With a few mods this could actually be a good uniform (first and formost lose the marine hat). I do like the tiger stripe throw back though, colors aren't the greatest but like the pattern.

Guest dpocock2

They actually create a tactical advantage, because while the enemy is busy trying to figure out why we are decked out in Hawaiian T-shirts and pants, we can slip a few more F-16's in under the radar.

Guest AirGuardian

It's going to be too easy for the enemy to pick out the AF STS guys and TACP's when they're running wild in combat with the Army. Boyz in blue will be the first hit, unless they're serving in Africa in Rwanda, Bostwana, Congo, etc., they may be able to blend in with the other blue suits in Africa...or be shot first. I'm not sure if they'll be attacked because of the obvious blue, or because its so atrocious and they feel the need to put one of us out of the misery of mixing baby blue/blue/black, whatever. Bet you they're looking at the bag next = that will be a no sir! GOOD! :( BAD!

Now that the Army is making the flag part of their BDUs, it should be easier to distinguish AF / Army from a distance. Seems to me like that is enough to seperate the branches...Blueberries...what are they thinking...

AirGuardian - Nice mental image of the TACP out their in blue...laughed my a## off.

Guest thebronze

The AF has already said that this is a uniform that will be worn "in the rear", "in garrison", whatever you want to call it. When you're out in the "field" (STS, TACP, etc.), you'd be wearing the woodland BDU, DCU, etc., not the blueberry suit. So forget about those guys getting "picked off" because they're wearing something different, it ain't gonna happen.

Not sure if anyone remembers this or if some were around then, but the reason that the Air Force changed to the current BDU's is because there was some confusion during Panama. The Army and Marines, wearing the current BDU's, almost shot some Air Force dudes because they didn't recognize the uniform as American. So here we are, 20-odd years later making the same mistakes again. Why does the Air Force have to look distinctive? Who cares if I can tell if someone is Air Force or Army at 100 yards? Plus, the blue looks really dumb.

One more thing- If the Air Force wants something that will give better camouflage, wouldn’t it be better to have computer and file cabinet patterns on the BDU’s instead of tiger stripe? Maybe some wrenches for the maintenance guys?

It's ridiculous.

1992ish - "Our service dress looks too much like the Army. It needs to be more distinctive. Let's put sleeve rank on it and no name tag. That way it'll be unique. Just like the Navy!"

1995 - Epaulets come back onto the service dress

2004 - Nametags for the service dress! What a novel idea! Only let's make them silver and more expensive...

1993ish - Our BDU's look too much like the Army. Let's put aircrew tags on (which actually did look kinda cool) and take off ALL the rank, so I have to walk to within 6 inches of your nametag to see if it says CADET, CAPT, COL, or CMSGT because it all blends together in the Texas sunlight.

1994 - Rank goes back on

1995 - Name tapes are back

2004 - Our BDU's look too much like the Army. We need ones that are more distinctive. We'll make them blue, to blend in with the 15 pax vans and big blue busses on our bases. New hats would be unique! Just like the Navy!"

I see a trend...

The big problem is who they put in charge. In the Marine Corps, where it seems like everyone likes the new Cammies, a trained infantryman who knows what people in the field want and need and is dedicated to his fellow troops and the Corps comes up with the stuff that they need. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is part of the pattern, a symbol that probably goes back to 1775 (Riddller, I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.) How long have the Marines had their dress uniform? Longer than 1995 I'm sure.

We, on the other hand, have another REMF trying to get promoted by coming up with some groundbreaking idea. Don't even get me started on this new Air Force symbol. Bring back the Hap Arnold wings, at least they tied us to the Army Air Corps. Oh wait, that would make us too much like the Army...

I see a trend...

• 1 year later...
Guest Meltdown

They stole the digital camo type pattern from the Marines MARPAT. That will not make the Marines happy, even though it makes sense to use the digital pattern.

Guest G-unit

Wannabe - No kidding, she looks like she is about to pass out, and he looks pissed to be there (I guess it's tough being the poster children of a real ugly idea). Anybody else think the new BDU's fit really baggy? Looks kinda sloppy to me. Supposedly you don't iron these either (good/bad?)

Where's the common sense . . .

I think they just look baggy because of Kathy Scoliosis. The Marine digi-camis are made with the same material, so I know they can make them fit. Now that I look at it again, I'm thinking the boots look kind of lame with such a dark uniform.

Guest Meltdown

Ha, the Army decided to use the digital too. Hilarious, I wish I still lived where I did before.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep what we have and save some money.

But when the new ones are issued we'll end up ironing those too. Is it possible to keep something around that works? Oh Wait! This is the Gov't we're dealing with.

I'd rather look like a tree in the middle of a city than a misplaced hunk of ocean. There's that Navy connection again.