Hand flying in UPT, IFF, and FTU

Guest flyboyav8or

Guest flyboyav8or

On the training side how much of the flying is actually done by hand as opposed to using the autopilot? Does the Tweet even have an autopilot? I am currently flying a Citation CJ2 and I'm trying to fly as many legs as possible without the AP so that I can keep up my instrument scan (as if there is one anyway in the Collins ProLine 21) for UPT.

Guest Clemsonpilot

In T-6 there is no autopilot. In the T-1 we can use it in cruise after the first checkride and in Mission Fam you can use it as much as you want but you are the copilot there from what I hear. There is a rumor that we will be getiing full use of it for nav check except on approaches

I was a T-34 guy and we flew that all be hand. The -37 and the -34 don't have an autopilot anyway (and I don’t believe the T-6 has one either?). The T-1 is hand flown at first, but as you progress through the program, you use AP more and more.

In the C-21 we usually hand fly up to cruise and then from the descent back down to the ground.

MK

I try not to be the one throwing stones but...

The worst part of this thread is:

A:

Does the Tweet even have an autopilot?
:rolleyes:

B: (and my personal favorite)

I am currently flying a Citation CJ2...

C:

...keep up my instrument scan (as if there is one anyway in the Collins ProLine 21) for UPT.
(duh, yeah, like I know, fer shuurr, everybody knows thaht!)

D: You've found that you've clicked on this thread and can't warp back in time to get those two minutes of your life back.

flyboy: I needed a little relief after a hard day's clown-act in the jet. Thanks, bro.

Guest flyboyav8or
Originally posted by flyinjunky:

flyboy: I needed a little relief after a hard day's clown-act in the jet. Thanks, bro.

No problem! I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Thanks Clemsonpilot and mmkk111 for the info!

[ 20. August 2005, 08:14: Message edited by: flyboyav8or ]

Originally posted by flyboyav8or:

how much of the flying is actually done by hand as opposed to using the autopilot?

For IFF:

1) There is no autpoilot in the T-38C

2) If there was an autpoilot that could maintain tactical formation between BFM engagements or to-and-from the MOA, that would be a good trick.

3) If there was one that could fight BFM (especially defensive BFM), that would be an even better trick!!

Guest flyboyav8or

I guess I should've clarified a little. I understand that there is no way that you're going to use an AP during formation or tactical manuevering. I was referring more to climb, descent, cruise, approaches, etc. Thanks for the reply though.

Originally posted by flyboyav8or:

I was referring more to climb, descent, cruise, approaches, etc.

90+% of the time in IFF you will be a wingman, flying some type of formation. There is very little time spent single ship in conditions which an autopilot -- if there was one -- could be used.

If you are used to the avionics in a typical biz-jet (like your slow-tation), you will be completely underwhelmed with the avionics in nearly every aircraft you'll encounter in the fighter area, from the Tweet on up to everything short of the Ramptor.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Concur on what Mark said earlier about the C-21...

As an IP, I usually will turn off the AFCS (Automatic Flight Control System) computer, and make it look much like a Tweet - to keep skills sharp for fix-fix's, holding, etc.

Mark, try it sometime.

Nate-

I'll have to give that a go sometime. I might even break out my pencil for the fix-to-fix !

MK

P.S. My IP laughed at me when I did that on my first ride in the C-21. At least I shacked it ! I guess it's a good thing I didn't pull out my E-6B, huh?

Guest flyboyav8or

Thanks, I think I got it now. I'm not surprised at all that there's no autopilot in the Tweet but I thought for sure that there would be one in the T-6.I'm glad to hear that I will be underwhelmed by the majority of the avioinics in the AF fleet though. Thanks again for the info!

[ 20. August 2005, 18:36: Message edited by: flyboyav8or ]

Guest JK73703

The Viper has a really generic auto pilot (altitude and heading hold) but you wont use it much as a wing-man (at least not at RTU). It's pretty much the same concept as IFF - you fly off lead all the time. I imagine the other fighter RTU's are the same.

Guest CBStud

I disagree. In Viper FTU I used the auto pilot quite a bit. That was mostly on instrument rides, on vectors for approaches and stuff like that. Someone once told me to use it in tactical and I laughed thinking they were joking, but it actually works pretty well. But you're still flying formation so you're still x-checking lead a lot. Its also really helpful when you're trying to take a piss.

Guest WildBill

I absolutely love it when some flight instructor with...oh...I'd say 500 hours thinks they are a corporate pilot because some guy needs a co-pilot and all of a sudden they are "keeping their instrument scan" up in a 6 million dollar airplane which they are probably flying for free. Hate to spoil your fun, but *real* pilots don't use the terms "keeping my scan up" in a normal sentence, we are automatically assumed to have btdt.

<----not a co-pilot, and not flying for free

Guest flyboyav8or
Originally posted by WildBill:

Actually, WildBill, I am a well paid corporate pilot with quite a bit more time than 500 hrs. I'm not sure why you think that I'm a flight instructor other than I had forgot to change my profile. Why don't you keep your condescending comments to yourself until you have enough facts to back them up.

Oh, and btw, most pilots don't call themselves "real" pilots. It's kinda like when you say that you have a big D. We all know the truth! :rolleyes:

[ 22. August 2005, 09:20: Message edited by: flyboyav8or ]