Oh ****!!!

Rocker

Guest terryrea

There was an incident a while back where a jumper hit the tail wing. This strike locked the horizontal stabilizer in a down position crashing the c-182 with all four on board being killed. THe jumper broke his ankle. Sucks huh? That video was a close one!

Some zoomies here might recall what the leading edge of the wing on a big yellow glider looks like after impacting a PTWOB chute deployment bag...

[ 10. January 2006, 09:19: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Originally posted by gearpig:

What's even more amazing is the amount of hot women that supposedly exist here in town according to the ad above the movie. Where do they keep 'em!?

I think you may be talking about the same incident I heard of at the Deland airport not too far from Orlando, FL. That place is a mess. I would never jump there. The airport is a mess. The guy who flies the skydiving plane is known to cut people off in the pattern, land on the downwind end of the runway and just overall be unsafe. He calls skydivers away and you better watch out. There are close calls there all the time. They need to add a tower at that airport.

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by ucf_motorcycle:

I think you may be talking about the same incident I heard of at the Deland airport not too far from Orlando, FL. That place is a mess. I would never jump there. The airport is a mess. The guy who flies the skydiving plane is known to cut people off in the pattern, land on the downwind end of the runway and just overall be unsafe. He calls skydivers away and you better watch out. There are close calls there all the time. They need to add a tower at that airport.

I've done alot flying around Deland, its a nuthouse when the jump plane is up there. I've seen the jump plane drop out of the sky right in front of me through the pattern just to get to his opposing runway faster. Sure, he'll do the hold short of active, but its the entry that scares us. I've also seen jumpers cross my path on final.

People die there VERY regularly. There's no way I'd jump from there.

Guest soflguy
I've both jumped from and flown there many times. The jumping is usually pretty easy to deal with as long as you have half of one side of your brain... they have a specific pattern - just like a flying pattern - laid out for you to follow that helps you deconflict from traffic, and use the winds. As for the airport, a tower will be there in the next year or 2. Other than that, it's not much worse than a lot of the other non controlled airports I've been to (especially with Riddle pilots buzzing around ;) ), and the jump planes are now required to follow more normal procedures for landing and flying the pattern, etc. Personally, I love having a few jumps there, then going straight to the bar for a