New Active Duty studs sent to Guard squadrons?

Finals

I was wondering if this information was true? I remember a few months ago their being a press release where the AD would be sending new pilots to ANG/RES squadrons for their first 3 years. I have searched high and low for the release and this website. The pilot would be placed in the ANG squad just as easily as an AD squad in Korea. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Guest rumblefish_2

I know it's happened at least twice in the past couple years in the Viper. One dude went to Ft Worth and the other went to Homestead. Both were from different FTU classes...

Guest RaptorKeeper

so, if AD guys are funneling over to ANG units... can guys that go ANG, be assigned to AD flying units? I know Tyndall has this with the FLANG IPS teaching AD B-coursers in the F-15, but are there any other units doing the same thing?

Guest Cannetny

yes this is true. I fly hercs for the Long Island guard. We have already had two AD guys assigned to us in the last 4 years. Both had/have follow on assignments to Moody I think. (I know one did for sure). They were paid 100% by and as AD guys, we had no control over them as far as pay or other MPF functions. So yes they got full BAH I and stuff. It is all basically a deal we have with the AD. We get them for 3 years and can use them as we see fit, ie deployments, tdy, extra duties etc. In turn we agree to send them back after 3 years as a msn qual left seater. and yes WHAP is right we have another one joining us this year.

Definitely alive and well in the Herk world. In Corpus, a TFAP slot will generally come down every couple of classes. The guy goes and flies with a guard unit for 3 years and he is attached to an AD unit. After his TFAP tour is up, he's supposed to go to that AD unit for his next tour. More common for slicks though.

HD

In my opinion, it's one of the best gigs possible. Attitude is very different (in a good way). They have a different perspective on things (i.e. their lives don't revolve around the military as much as us AD guys). Most importantly, they get much better TDYs(excluding OIF/OEF). I'd volunteer for an ANG/AFRC tour in a heart beat.

Guest KoolKat

Gabe...the new and improved stream-lined version, nice!

I would personally be concerned about that gig. Sure, it would be different...But, wouldn't be too easy to end up being their b1tch?

I almost felt Corpus was on the verge of being like that...not quite, but almost.

g2s does have a good point about them having better TDYs though, a little equator anyone?!

BENDY

the 130 squadron at Moody has a ton of co's that don't really fly at all, while many guard/reserve bases have almost no co-pilots. Seems like a good idea to me. In the 60 world we've got a similar rent-a-co setup where we'll send co-pilots up to Alaska to fly with the guard there (albeit only a month at a time).

Originally posted by HercFE2Pilot:

yes this is true. I fly hercs for the Long Island guard. We have already had two AD guys assigned to us in the last 4 years. Both had/have follow on assignments to Moody I think. (I know one did for sure). They were paid 100% by and as AD guys, we had no control over them as far as pay or other MPF functions. So yes they got full BAH I and stuff. It is all basically a deal we have with the AD. We get them for 3 years and can use them as we see fit, ie deployments, tdy, extra duties etc. In turn we agree to send them back after 3 years as a msn qual left seater. and yes WHAP is right we have another one joining us this year.

I think you guys might be getting two this year. I got a call a couple of weeks ago from Corpus asking if I wanted to trade my D-M assignment to go to the Long Island unit along with the co- that's already going there (who's a class behind me here at the Rock). My folks only live about an hour from the unit, and I definitely seriously considered it, but I'm holding what I got. I didn't hear who ended up taking it.

We had a TFAP guy assigned to us. He received a letter about half way thru his tour saying the program was being cancelled. He is now at the Rock, back with the AD. This is a great program because in the Guard, the co's get more flying time. I was talking with a bud of mine that I graduated Little Rock with and I have twice as many hours. Co's in the Guard get lots of stick time. I was shocked to hear how little AD co's are flying.

If you took an AD assignment with a Guard AFSOC (be it rescue, Shadows, or Talons) unit out of UPT, would you be able to go back into slicks more easily than you would if you flew an AFSOC bird at an AD squadron?

My point is that old "hard to get out" adage that keeps studs from wanting to go into AFSOC straight out of UPT because they are concerned about being "stuck" there.

Originally posted by herkbum:

This is a great program because in the Guard, the co's get more flying time. Co's in the Guard get lots of stick time. I was shocked to hear how little AD co's are flying.

I disagree. I have a good friend in TFAP that graduated Corpus with. To date I have twice the hours he does (and he has been deploying as well). The constant four on and off builds the hours.

HD

Originally posted by PhlashNU04:

If you took an AD assignment with a Guard AFSOC (be it rescue, Shadows, or Talons) unit out of UPT, would you be able to go back into slicks more easily than you would if you flew an AFSOC bird at an AD squadron?

My point is that old "hard to get out" adage that keeps studs from wanting to go into AFSOC straight out of UPT because they are concerned about being "stuck" there.

Phlash,

Your question can't be answered because this only happens with rescue, not SOF. Even though rescue falls under AFSOC, they're different in this and many other regards. Sounds like rescue is doing this program and I guess its working for them. The SOF side of the house handles things in a different way when it comes to manning.

[ 12. February 2006, 21:33: Message edited by: g2s ]

Funny that you say that, because when I originally typed the question, I just said "Guard Rescue unit", but I changed to "Guard AFSOC" to be a little more general. I had only heard of this happening with HC-130s, but I wasn't sure if the possibility existed for other SOF aircraft.

That being said, the question still stands then. If you go to a Guard Rescue unit, after your tour is up, can you go to an AD slick unit, or would you pretty much have to/be expected to go to an AD HC-130 unit (DM and Moody are the only places, right?)

Right now, if you go to a rescue TFAP, your AFSC is 11R vs. 11A, so you are handled as a rescue asset by AFPC for your follow-on (read Moody or DM). The agreement (as mentioned) is to upgrade a guy to the left seat and send him back to AD since those units are so hurting on hours and slots to build ACs. Flying with the Guard is never a bad deal, especially in places like AK and Moffett, plus if you aren't a tool, it's pretty easy to get hired by them when you get out.