Things to do at Maxwell

WeatherManC130

Well I found out that I will be on Casual at Maxwell AFB for 8 months before I head off to pilot training. Can anyone tell me what there is to do around Montgomery? I lived there while my dad was in the Navy, but for only 10 months and I was in the 1st grade at the time. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is? So far the top things to do on my list are: visit old elementary school and visit old house. Thanks in advance!!

Guest uniballvisionmicro

Go to the Fox & Hound, Brew Pub, and some seafood place with a fish on the sign. The mall is aight, and there is always golf. Im sure you'll have bros at ASBC while youre there too. Basically, just booze and buffoonery.

We ate at some wing joint on the main drag across from Wal-Mart...was descent. Wings were hot, beer was cold...what more could one want?

As far as things to do as a casual LT, I would say drive to Tuscaloosa (home of Auburn). Much tail to be had. Or, you could always drive the 3.5 hr drive to the Redneck Riviera for the weekend. Be sure to stop by Sammys while you're there...just tell them Slim sent ya!

Originally posted by C21Cowboy:

As far as things to do as a casual LT, I would say drive to Tuscaloosa (home of Auburn). Much tail to be had.

Close Cowboy, but not quite right. Tuscaloosa is home to the University of Alabama. Auburn is not too far away though. But you nailed it (STS), MUCH TAIL to be had. God I love southern schools...

Guest dayswhore@ang.com

There is a museum of enlisted heritage on the Gunter Annex. It was new and expanding when I was there a few years back, lots of interesting memorabilia if that's your gig.

Guest kottlows

You could always drive the 4 hours up to Columbus and go crazy at the W.

Sarcasm Switch - Guard Open / Off

Actually, I'd head down to Destin a couple weekends each month if I were you. + FL Chicks = NIIIIICCE!

-WARHAWK

Three things I remember about Maxwell....

1) Thinking that the "Capt" housing was pretty nice the first day I drove on base....realizing later it was "Navy Capt", and everyone else below 0-5 was living in crap.

2) The Sunday morning with a raging hangover that I began to report my car stolen, and midway through the conversation realized I'd probably left it somewhere near the brewpub....("Uh, never mind....")

3) Several memorable roadtrips to Destin and New Orleans (Destin: Sammy's has better scenery, but the Green Frog is more fun), and rolling back on base Monday morning just in time to fall asleep in Polifka.

[ 04. November 2006, 08:35: Message edited by: Crog ]

There's a place off of exit 9 on whatever the Montgomery-ATL highway is called Mellow Mushroom. Lots of good pizza/pasta type stuff, good beer prices, live music most nights and a good atmosphere. And a relatively busy area, with a movie theater, bars and whatnot nearby). Have fun trying to break the land speed record going to/from base on Bell Rd trying to avoid being involved in a driveby

If all else fails, go by the ASBC dorms on any given night. When I was there last class there was at least one large kegger every every week.

Originally posted by C21Cowboy:

As far as things to do as a casual LT, I would say drive to Tuscaloosa (home of Auburn).

Good Lord!

Yeah, Opelika is about 60 miles to the East and is the home of Auburn University - good sports and women.

Tuscaloosa is about 160 miles to the Northwest and is the home of the University of Alabama - good sports and women.

You can also drive 90 miles North to Birmingham for some "big city" bars, restaurants, etc. Nice place to visit compared to Montgomery. There is also the University of Alabama at Birmingham up there - good sports and women.

About 40 miles to the East is Tuskegee - obvious history there.

Locally, don't forget about the minor league baseball stadium right there (Mighty Ducks, I think). Good cheap fun if you like baseball and are there during the season.

There is also an Aero club on base, and if you get really bored you can walk over to the Air University Press building and pick up your free 10 books on airpower.

Good luck.

Originally posted by brabus:

Drink a lot...and don't go outside your a/c room unless you want to know the true meaning of swamp ass.

I have lived in Tallahassee for the past 3 years, so I already know the meaning to the word swamp ass!!!

Thanks to all who gave their suggestions. Looks like I will be drinking lots of beer while I am there!!!

Good, at least you won't get the shock I did! Coming from an incredibly dry climate to that place was like getting kicked in the nuts. In addition to beer, start playing golf if you don't already. One of the courses at Maxwell isn't that bad and there are several nice courses in the surrounding areas. Too bad there's no $1 golf out there...the one thing Vance has over the rest of the world!