Public view of pilots

Guest Tommy

Guest cloudy

Since there are a lot of flyers on this board, and a lot of good stories out there that need to be told, anyone have any good stories of being recognized in public/community? Also, any good stories on when you were the most proud of yourself for being a military pilot? I'm just wondering how it is being a military pilot in the public/community view and what it's like behind closed doors with yourself and family. I’d like to hear some of the joys and satisfaction of being a pilot outside of the cockpit.

Guest LwNSlo

Well I'm not married and dont have a family but when I was at a bar in college and told girls of the community i was going to fly, the rewarded me by taking off their panties later that night! Girls love pilots!!

Guest Hoser

I've always had good encounters with the fans camped out inside a NASCAR track after doing flybys. Free food (steak, shrimp, lobster), beer. Even had some offerings to check out their underwear (or lack there of) status.

I've also been out to dinner with some other guys and on 2 different occasions, had an anonymous patron pick up our dinner/bar tab. I've even had some patrons just walk up to the table to say "Thanks".

When you are military walking around the town where the base is located, you are normally well recieved.

As for my family life, other than my wife having to cope with leaning new terms that have been etched into my vocabulary, nothing out of the ordinary. I want to play PS2, she wants me to do yard work, I pretend I didn't hear her... standard married stuff.

Hoser

[ 03. March 2006, 11:42: Message edited by: Hoser ]

I took a two ship of T-6s into Springfield, MO several months ago. After engine shutdown there were many aviation enthusiasts that were asking all these questions about the airplane.

I couldn't understand it...I've been X-C a thousand times and no one has ever taken this much interest in me or my airplane. Still scratching my nugget while walking into the FBO...gave her my fuel card...

"You know that we don't have a Gov't fuel contract right?"

So that's why there was so much interest in the airplane...no one has ever gone in there because there was no fuel contract.

My DO was so proud of me that next morning.

Originally posted by Hoser:

I want to play PS2, she wants me to do yard work, I pretend I didn't hear her... standard married stuff.

Hoser

YES!!! I love it! It makes me glad to hear I'm not alone!

To the wife:

"See honey! I'm NOT the worlds worst husband! I'm just a normal husband! So if you left me and married someone else, you'd be just as miserable. Doesn't that make you feel better sweetie?"

I've found out that some other customer has paid for lunch/dinner before at the end of a meal a couple of times. Seems almost constant that when I am out and around in uniform, especially away from base, that people want to come up and shake my hand and thank me for my service. That's about all I have seen in my sort time on AD so far.

Guest Hydro130

The "tab pick-up" deal is nice...

I went with 3 other single dudes from the squadron out for a nice formal dinner at a local uber-echelon gucci steak place one night not long after 911...

It was a weekend, the place was packed, so tables were close and all that...

The whole intent of the night was to live large -- dress up nice, go get an expensive dinner, you know the drill (no gay jokes please, single guys just don't get the opp to do that often).

So, we were having a good time, swapping stories, etc. And, of course, "work" was the primary discussion. Good times had by all...

When we finally flagged the server over to pay the bill, she tells us that someone had insisted, anonymously, to pick up our entire bill (which was 500+ bones; yeah, we had raged :D !). That was, by far, the most generous gesture of thanks I've experienced...

Nice!

Hydro

Edited for flag...

[ 04. March 2006, 13:46: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

I've had folks pick up the tab both anonymously and in person, several hand shakes and "thanks". My wife could care less except she knows it's what I want to do and makes me happy...she does make smart a$$ed "fly boy" comments sometimes though :D

[ 03. March 2006, 15:41: Message edited by: zrooster99 ]

Guest Hydro130

Certainly not all-encompassing...

But here's a start:

Military Deals

Cheers, Hydro

Edit: Google = friend of the military :D

[ 03. March 2006, 16:41: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Guest ShortThrow

Yeah, I have seen that. I was just thinking more retail or restaurants; not online. I have gotten it at champps before and footlocker, I haven't asked at many other places

Check picked up at restaurants...bar tab covered...Free stuff at the FBO (after $30000 worth of deicing fluid). I've had them all and extremely appreciated them. I still think just saying "thanks" is the best. I like knowing people actually give a shit.

HD

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by ShortThrow:

Yeah, I have seen that. I was just thinking more retail or restaurants; not online. I have gotten it at champps before and footlocker, I haven't asked at many other places

Sonic, Jersey Mike Subs, Goody's Clothing, Express.

Hoser

Guest Hydro130

I said it was 'just a start'... Go and ask places.

It's that simple.

Cheers, Hydro

Ditto Hoser on the flyby thing. I did a T-38 flyby at an Atlanta baseball game and when we got to the field and were walking to our seat, a whole section jumped up and started cheering. We thought we had missed a great play, but it turned out they were cheering for us.

Best flyby response was for the opener of the Tampa Bay Bucs versus 49ers last year. After we finished the flyby we were driving to the stadium and listening to the radio when they announced that Joe Jurevicius had just scored a touchdown and " he handed the ball to one of the pilots who did the flyby" Turns out the pilot was our ground FAC - the twin brother of the guy leading and a Tweet IP at Sheppard (you SPS guys might recognize him). At any rate, they brought us onto the field at half time and I swear I have never felt like more of a rock star - 50,000 people on their feet and cheering.

I've had people catch my tab on several occassions. Every single time, they've seen me and my buds walk into the restuarant in uniform and said nothing to us - they went directly to the waitress, paid for our meal, and we didn't find out until they were gone.

what places have you guys noticed offer the military discount?

As mentioned, just ask - even if you're not in a military town - you'd be surprised. On more than one occasion as I'm paying for something and the merchant sees my military ID, they'll offer up a military discount. On a related note, check the Services magazine at your base club - they list all the places in town that offer discount to Club card holders.

Guest newflyer

A buddy of mine had just finished pumping gas in his car when he hears a little old lady hollering at him. She was calling "sir, excuse me, sir" he turned and it was a little greay haired lady with a cane. He walked toward her and she continued over. She said that she wanted to thank him for his service to our great country and gave him a hug.

Guest Dirt Beater

While at military clothing I had the opportunity to talk to an old crusty B-24 pilot who was a POW in WW2. He said he was incredibly proud to see young guys serving in the military with everything going on these days and how thankful he was that generations upon generations after his have continued to honorably serve and devote their lives to something so much bigger. It was extra special to hear something like that from a vet.

Originally posted by ChuckFlys17s:

Sitting in Hooters talking shop and three HUGE pitchers of beer show up. "We didnt order these!" we half protested, reaching for glasses...

But the two former F-86 drivers sitting at the bar did... they even came over and shook our hands on their way out.

Very cool!

Chuck

I can see it now, "Hey, we didnt...gulp gulp...order these...gulp gulp...pitchers of beer...gulp gulp!!"

i was in service dress at the mildenhall government office b/c i got a speeding ticket (got screwed and couldnt just pay the fine, had to go in front of the judge). i'm sitting there waiting to go see the judge and some punk kid looks at me and goes "you know, you don't own the bases, you're just renting them." some old man, that was clearly old enough to remember wwii, sitting next to him looks at him and says "you shut up boy, you don't know what he and his mates have done for us".

i've had the meal bought for me and the random thanks from people walking by while in the states too...

That's about all you can do. I usually tell them how happy and lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing. To add: of course, I've had it pretty easy so far...

[ 05. March 2006, 16:57: Message edited by: Rocker ]

Guest dustanas

I was in the military history section at a bookstore (I think it was the day I bought Every Man a Tiger, highly recommended) and some guy just started talking to me about the military/aviation, etc. He asked if I was in the military...I said I would be in the Air Guard and would be going to pilot training. The thank you's and "I wish I could've done that" started pouring out. And realize that I HAVEN'T EVEN DONE ANYTHING YET. Pretty cool.

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by HerkDerka:

I still think just saying "thanks" is the best. I like knowing people actually give a shit.

I've gotta agree on this one... I've had a couple of really nice folks take care of me when there's money involved... but the most meaningful situations are when the "average Mom"-looking lady and her kids come over to the table where I'm eating lunch with my wife and all of them say "Thank you" in their own way, and "Mom" gets all choked-up. Those are the folks I'm honored to protect and serve.

However, Login Name's situation with the older gentleman in the UK would turn my face scarlet, and make me tear-up as well. Lord knows those "boys" did more for us than we'll ever know!

Cheers!

Linda