Ali Al Salem info

Guest evil load

I am going to be on TCN duty here in the very near future. What can I expect? Is it 12's 6 days a week? What should I pack, just pt gear, pillows, blankets? Any civilian attire? How is the BX? Anything to help my trip (that i'm very much not looking forward to) better, would be very appreciated!

Can't speak for your career field, but I'd say leave all the toiletries at home and just buy them here, so you don't have to carry them. The BX is fully stocked on soap/shampoo/razors/shaving cream/etc, and your pillows/blankets are issued to you. Bring running shoes, two pairs if you're here for 120. Chances of getting off base as a non-flyer are close to 0%, but I'd bring a pair of civvies anyway.

Bring nose plugs, the TCN's shower once a decade.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, as for personal cell phone, I'd call home with mine.

There are lots of better options out there unless you just like spending your whole paycheck on international cell calls.

If they have contract internet for the billets (most places do now), check into skype. Free computer to computer, or like 2 cents a minute anywhere in the world if you call computer to phone. I use it all the time on international airline trips, and also while deployed to Bagram last summer. Works great, lasts a long time.

http://www.skype.com

Free wireless at several locations on base now (incld. pool). Kind of have to jump through some hoops w/ anti-virus, etc to get it to work and it isn't superfast.. but it works.

• 6 months later...
Guest seanthegreat

update - oct 09

- free wireless in the dorms, fast enough for anything but games or streaming video (youtube if you're real patient). wing leadership has been promising for months now that speed is going to improve 4x as soon as whosit can sign whatsit.

- desert winds chow hall & lsa have the same food - lsa just has more of the standard options available at any given time.

-bx is pretty disappointing, but you can buy junk food, toiletries, a thousand workout supplements, magazines/books, dvds, civies that you can't wear (even in the dorms), PTs/shoes, and "tactical" stuff. very limited in the way of electronics.

- some milnet computers in the dorms for gov email & pme type stuff

- bring one pair of civies in case you get to go off base.

- library has a good selection of dvds... never looked at the books or cds.

- base theater seems to be reserved half the time for honor guard practice or one of a hundred commanders calls. when it IS showing movies, it's hit or miss. much slower to get new movies than other bases in theater.

- ccs at all levels seem to have a huge boner for tucked in pt shirts, reflective belts, and no-show socks.

- no shorts allowed during ramadan (aug-sep). what, you didn't bring your pt pants to the desert in the 120F summer? that was dumb of you, go buy new ones.

- worried about your pr0n? use truecrypt on an external hard drive with a long password, and your secrets will be safe forever.

my lessons learned:

- bring lots and lots of PTs

- if you cut your own hair, get cordless (rechargeable) clippers. the dual voltage ones will make you go deaf, and i'm afraid they're going to explode into my skull. barbers on base are alright, but no slappy dance.

- after flying, gym, masters, and sos, still lots and lots of down time. bring an xbox.

i go to sleep every night thinking about how much i hate cornerstone...

- ccs at all levels seem to have a huge boner for tucked in pt shirts, reflective belts, and no-show socks.

- no shorts allowed during ramadan (aug-sep). what, you didn't bring your pt pants to the desert in the 120F summer? that was dumb of you, go buy new ones.

Actually it was no shorts off the rock. Shorts on the rock were OK. The shirt tuck boner must be at SQ/CC level and below. I did have a 1st Shirt try to yell at me right after I finished a run for having my shirt untucked and I asked him to kindly EABOD. Actually I said, "Nope, I'm exercising", and the matter was dropped.

Everything else checks.

Actually it was no shorts off the rock. Shorts on the rock were OK. The shirt tuck boner must be at SQ/CC level and below. I did have a 1st Shirt try to yell at me right after I finished a run for having my shirt untucked and I asked him to kindly EABOD. Actually I said, "Nope, I'm exercising", and the matter was dropped.

Everything else checks.

Actually having to tuck in your PT shirts in the AOR is an AFCENT and/or CENTCOM policy. I just can't stand those guys are just waiting for the chance to correct someone after walking 10 feet out of their pod to take a piss.

I'm getting ready for my first trip to Salem. Half of the advice I've gotten from the guys who have been there has been about tucking in your shirt and wearing the right socks. The boss even made a huge talking point about tucking in shirts, wearing the right socks, and not ripping the shit out of shoes who harass you about it.

Can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...

The free wireless in the dorms here has gone from 4MB to 30MB. They've been promising it for months and finally delivered. Great connectivity when you Skype.

Also, the qweep here is not as bad as the Deid. There is a little common sense here and lots of prayers that it stays that way.

Edited by Herk Driver

I'm getting ready for my first trip to Salem. Half of the advice I've gotten from the guys who have been there has been about tucking in your shirt and wearing the right socks. The boss even made a huge talking point about tucking in shirts, wearing the right socks, and not ripping the shit out of shoes who harass you about it.

Can't wait.

Was there May-June. It wasn't bad. They were a little psycho on morale patches but other than that no issues. Hell, in the dorms everyone wore civvies--gasp--and no one cared.

Agree with Herk, way lower BS factor than the 'Died.

The free wireless in the dorms here has gone from 4MB to 30MB. They've been promising it for months and finally delivered. Great connectivity when you Skype.

Also, the qweep here is not as bad as the Deid. There is a little common sense here and lots of prayers that it stays that way.

Saluting in PTs is finally here, but that's because it's now AFCENT wide. As with other issues, not as bad as the Deid. Right now, at least, that's in large part due to the fact that the AEW/CC is pretty down to earth.

Yeah, I was surprised that actually happened. 3 days trying to download an album on iTunes, and the next second I look over and its done. And you're right, the queep isn't as bad as I was expecting.

• 3 months later...

Any one with some recent gouge? Never been and wondering how it stacks up with the "Gem of the AOR" down the road. Thanks

Got friends there right now, but I haven't really heard anything from them, good or bad. Perhaps one of them can stop teasing me by flying into Dhafra long enough to get you some info. Last intel I got was from around the same time frame as the last post regarding the wireless.

• 7 months later...

What's the latest at Salem? I'm hearing that the qweep has started to increase. Getting there soon. Would like to know what to expect.

Transited through there last month on the way here to ORBD. Damn near everybody there are in hard backs except for transients, who are still in tents. The wireless internet is on and is super fast, even when streaming/downloading. The chow hall looks nice due to all the renovations, but

the food still sucks; the rats are almost big enough to ride now, and almost EVERYONE goes to the LSA side to eat, although the leadership frowns on it. The BX is nice and has damn near everything that you need. You can still take cultural tours downtown, so bring at least one set of civilian clothes. The FLEX (rec center) is a great place to surf the wireless net, watch football games, etc. The Haji Bizzare still comes thru on a monthly basis, with all of the usual fake shit, including bootleg DVD's (4 for $10!!!) As for flying ops, I am a CE TSgt, so not sure of the tempo; although I did see a Herk in the sky every time that I looked up. As far as the uniform police go, I didn't see anyone being corrected. The shirt tucked in/reflective belt policy is alive and well, but I did see a few folks running around without them during the evening and they weren't getting crucified for it. I heard that the Wing CC was a pretty laid back guy, so maybe things are relaxed just a bit. Due to the position that I am currently filling, I transit between here and OKAS fairly often, so if you have anymore questions, I will do my best to answer them, and if I can't, I will go get the answer.

BAK 12

Edited by BAK12

I overnight there 1-2 nights a week and the transient trailers aren't bad as long as there aren't a bunch of Army dudes next door who think it's party time. The dorm buildings are OK and most are two to a room. There is no cleaning contract for them, so it's up to the occupants to keep everything livable. The food is pretty good and I've yet to get sick from anything I've ate there, but the chowhall always smells like sewage to me.

I've heard from our guys deployed there that the BS level is starting to rise, but none seem to know why. I was there a few days ago when suddenly everyone had to start wearing reflective belts even in PT gear. No idea as to why this "Deidism" took effect other than a rumor that someone had been hit by a truck on the street just down the road from the fire station. That area has bollards blocking it off, so there usually aren't vehicles around in the first place. Anyone have any insight?

I've heard from our guys deployed there that the BS level is starting to rise, but none seem to know why. I was there a few days ago when suddenly everyone had to start wearing reflective belts even in PT gear. No idea as to why this "Deidism" took effect other than a rumor that someone had been hit by a truck on the street just down the road from the fire station. That area has bollards blocking it off, so there usually aren't vehicles around in the first place. Anyone have any insight?

Heard about the reflective belt thing. That's what drove my question. Anyone got the details on the policy? There has to be at least one EAS guy roaming this board.

Been here three months. Medical side of things...not a flyer.

Anyway, in response to lj35driver, I heard someone almost got ran over by a fork lift. That along with all the mva's that have been going on I guess forced the commander's hand. I also heard about someone running by themselves along the parameter road without a reflective belt. Before the latest policy, you only had to wear the belt if you were running outside the bollards. Sort of a knee jerk reaction...but it is what it is. Anyway, in hours of darkness you have to wear the reflective belt...regardless of what uniform you're wearing.

Ali isn't bad...just boring.

Edited by jjkusaf

Someone got hit by a truck on that road? WTF? There are sidewalks on BOTH sides.

Last I was there in February, no reflective belts while on the Rock, only when leaving to goto the LSA, etc. Honestly, I think Salem is the hidden secret for us. Hard billets, private bathroom in your room, screaming fast wifi, good gym, its relatively quiet and a small base for a deployed location, no mortars, very regular/predictable flying schedule, and the food improves every time I go there. I'd rather be there than any other base in that area.

Someone got hit by a truck on that road? WTF? There are sidewalks on BOTH sides.

No, no one got physically hit. Heard the incident (be it fork lift or vehicle) was witnessed by the base commander...hence the policy change on reflective belts.

Guest HerkRacer

Been here for about 3.5 months and reflective belt story is true... everywhere on base during times of darkness/inclement wx, reflective belt will be worn (regardless of type of uniform) because some fools rolled a humvee on a joyride along with crap load of vehicle accidents. Anyway, flew with the Wing/CC few weeks ago, and he's a really good dude along with most of the leadership in the OG.

• 3 weeks later...

Heading there in a week for a 120. Do the aircrew dorms have fridges and/or tv's? Thanks.

Yes all the aircrew dorms have fridges, as for TV's they all should have some kind of TV. The only ones that didn't have tv's in them were the transient aircrew trailers. But those had fridges.