TR/DSG Pilot Retention Bonuses?

I'll take that as a NO.  lol

I ask because the RC ACIP debacle is still being slow-rolled by the DoD, all while the RC has a worse pilot retention rate than RegAF, but yet we never hear about it.  On top of that, part-time RC pilots get no bonus love.  Afterall, why would they?  They don't fill leadership positions for RegAF.

Edited by TheNewGazmo

Was this the bonus they tried rolling out 6-9 years ago that required you to not be in a service commitment, but also not over 15 years of service?  I remember when that rolled out and all us DSG's were geeked about it, until we saw the requirements.  Many of us were prior-E's (or O's) and were out of luck due to our >15 YOS.  We combed the squadron and figured out that only two of our 15ish DSG we're eligible, and one of them was only eligible for another 6 months because he was about to hit 15 YOS.  What a joke.  Then to make it worse, I think they screwed up and either didn't actually have the money, or recouped it later due to a funding issue.  I can't really recall all the details because I stopped caring after I saw the requirements.  

23 hours ago, SocialD said:

Was this the bonus they tried rolling out 6-9 years ago that required you to not be in a service commitment, but also not over 15 years of service?  I remember when that rolled out and all us DSG's were geeked about it, until we saw the requirements.  Many of us were prior-E's (or O's) and were out of luck due to our >15 YOS.  We combed the squadron and figured out that only two of our 15ish DSG we're eligible, and one of them was only eligible for another 6 months because he was about to hit 15 YOS.  What a joke.  Then to make it worse, I think they screwed up and either didn't actually have the money, or recouped it later due to a funding issue.  I can't really recall all the details because I stopped caring after I saw the requirements.  

I remember that.  I believe that was one of the most terribly implemented bonus programs I've ever seen in my military career, but no; that was a different "bone-us".  But... there's a new bonus on the table that is said to be eligible to members of the ARC.  Whether that means TR/DSG or just AGR, I don't know.  These things never seem to be adequately advertised and the people that should be knowledgeable, FSS, never seem to be knowledgeable.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-two-bonus-programs-aviators-2024/

Also, looks like there was a push to pay all Guard and Reservists the full ACIP (monthly flight pay).  It passed in the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act and the DoD was supposed to come up with a plan by 30 Sep 2022.  Guess what - we're almost in March 2024 and still no plan.

https://www.ngaus.org/newsroom/ngaus-dod-slow-rolling-will-congress-si-pay-parity

As of last year, the Air Force was 2,000 pilots short of it's 21,000 pilot goal (13k RegAF and 8k ARC).  They're 6% short active duty pilots and 15% short in the ARC.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/03/03/perennial-pilot-shortage-puts-air-force-in-precarious-position/

I think at this point, the DoD is just hoping for the next economic/world crisis to crumple the airline industry again.  That's what solved their very similar issue in 2001 and I'm sure that's what kept them from POM'ing ACIP for the ARC into existence during COVID.  "Bawahahaha.... we'll be good for at least another decade!"..... (major airlines hire 25,000 pilots in '22-23)...."Wait... what?!".

Edited by TheNewGazmo

1 hour ago, TheNewGazmo said:

I remember that.  I believe that was one of the most terribly implemented bonus programs I've ever seen in my military career, but no; that was a different "bone-us".  But... there's a new bonus on the table that is said to be eligible to members of the ARC.  Whether that means TR/DSG or just AGR, I don't know.  These things never seem to be adequately advertised and the people that should be knowledgeable, FSS, never seem to be knowledgeable.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-two-bonus-programs-aviators-2024/

It's like when our FSS NCOIC came to brief squadron leadership on the new OPR system (already ram dumped the name).  She made it a few slides in and said, we really don't know what's going on because this system is terrible and noone seems to be able to answer our questions.  OG just laughed and thanked her for her honestly.  We backburned it and continued to process OPR's like we always had via e-mail, while the AF unfucked it.  Then I retired...thankfully.  

Also, looks like there was a push to pay all Guard and Reservists the full ACIP (monthly flight pay).  It passed in the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act and the DoD was supposed to come up with a plan by 30 Sep 2022.  Guess what - we're almost in March 2024 and still no plan.

https://www.ngaus.org/newsroom/ngaus-dod-slow-rolling-will-congress-si-pay-parity

Lol called it.  When that passed that, I told the guys they'd be lucky to see it before 2024, if ever.  I was certain I wouldn't see it before retirement.  Are they even paying the correct DSG flight pay right now?  Or are you still receiving catchup payments because they "can't code the system" or that "the new pay system will be rolled out in Jan of 2020 to fix it all?"  2020 is not a typo, that is when I was told (in 2018) that it would all be fixed and why they wouldn't spend time fixing the current system.  Loved getting 6 paychecks a month lol.

I think at this point, the DoD is just hoping for the next economic/world crisis to crumple the airline industry again.  That's what solved their very similar issue in 2001 and I'm sure that's what kept them from POM'ing ACIP for the ARC into existence during COVID.  "Bawahahaha.... we'll be good for at least another decade!"..... (major airlines hire 25,000 pilots in '22-23)...."Wait... what?!".

Agreed, some are probably banking on it.  Then you'll get to listen to those who stayed have their "I told you so" moment, as if they they were the smartest people in the room all along.  I've seen this song and dance before.  Fortunately for me, I never had to come back for orders because whatever happened, I can easily survive at DSG pay...that's a great feeling of freedom.  

Damn I sound bitter and jaded lol.  I'll admit to the latter, but not so much the former.  It's just hard not to laugh/cry because you see the cycle repeat itself over and over again.  Promises, broken promises, promises, broken promises.  It's why when I left I told my guys to always take care of themselves and their families first, because at the end of your career, they're the ones that will be there.  The AF will pat you on the back, you'll be replaced that day, the machine will go on and you'll mostly be forgotten in short order.  [/rant]

But I'm seriously pulling for you guys, you've earned it and truly deserve it.  Though I know the likely outcome, if it is ever implemented, here's hoping they're forced to back pay ya'll for this. 

• Upvote 1

Tangentially related, my mom complains to me yesterday about the gov pulling the rug out from her regarding SS changes. I said, “well yeah, it’s the gov. They’re retarded with money and will screw you over at every opportunity that comes their way.” The gov will always fuck you when convenient for them. The bonus system fuckery is in their wheelhouse!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brabus said:

Tangentially related, my mom complains to me yesterday about the gov pulling the rug out from her regarding SS changes. I said, “well yeah, it’s the gov. They’re retarded with money and will screw you over at every opportunity that comes their way.” The gov will always fuck you when convenient for them. The bonus system fuckery is in their wheelhouse!

SS is whole other level of fuckery.  I full expect that I won't receive SS in anything close to it's current form, or even at all.  I'm not even factoring it into my retirement planning.  If I get it, then sweet, more 100LL cash...if we're still allowed to use 100LL in 25 years.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Lol called it.  When that passed that, I told the guys they'd be lucky to see it before 2024, if ever.  I was certain I wouldn't see it before retirement.  Are they even paying the correct DSG flight pay right now?  Or are you still receiving catchup payments because they "can't code the system" or that "the new pay system will be rolled out in Jan of 2020 to fix it all?"  2020 is not a typo, that is when I was told (in 2018) that it would all be fixed and why they wouldn't spend time fixing the current system.  Loved getting 6 paychecks a month lol.

They pretty much fixed the flight pay issue a few years ago, although there were a few stragglers before I left the ANG that hadn't been 100% paid yet.  I'm an IMA now and getting still getting flight pay.

11 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:

They pretty much fixed the flight pay issue a few years ago, although there were a few stragglers before I left the ANG that hadn't been 100% paid yet.  I'm an IMA now and getting still getting flight pay.

Just verified with a buddy, they're still not getting paid correctly for flight pay without a follow up payment.  Every paycard submitted gets one check with the old flight pay rate, then a second check follow to bring it up to the current rate. So maddening that this can't be figured out.  Only impact DSGs...of course!

Edited by SocialD