college

wikz

On 11/3/2023 at 4:06 PM, wikz said:

I always imagined if I washed out of SUPT and lost a fighter slot, that I would just do heavies, earning enough hours to apply for the majors.

I recommend a bit more research, because that is not how that works.  If you wash out, you don't get any aircraft.  The AF doesn't hand over C-17s, etc, to people who aren't pilots.

I hope you're enlisting to crew chief for the Raptor squadron.

If so, be the best crew chief on the line (also applies to [insert AFSC])

- follow direction from your NCOs and leadership

- be humble

- take feedback and use it to improve 

- deploy with the squadron, even if you have to miss a semester or two. 

The pilots will notice, and will put on war paint if thats what it takes to get you to UPT (they'll fight for you).

Whichever unit you're enlisting with, don't scoff the other units.  Your unit might be backlogged for UPT slots, changing airframes, losing their metal, etc.  Be up front and honest with your unit that you want to be an officer and fly, and that includes making yourself available to all opportunities on the island.

Edited by BFM this
inclusivity
  • Upvote 2

I recommend a bit more research, because that is not how that works.  If you wash out, you don't get any aircraft.  The AF doesn't hand over C-17s, etc, to people who aren't pilots.

This is true for washing out, however, ANG/AFRC fighter guys who don’t do well in T-6s have been given the option to track T-1s and find a new unit to sponsor them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BFM this said:

I hope you're enlisting to crew chief for the Raptor squadron.

If so, be the best crew chief on the line (also applies to [insert AFSC])

- follow direction from your NCOs and leadership

- be humble

- take feedback and use it to improve 

- deploy with the squadron, even if you have to miss a semester or two. 

The pilots will notice, and will put on war paint if thats what it takes to get you to UPT (they'll fight for you).

Whichever unit you're enlisting with, don't scoff the other units.  Your unit might be backlogged for UPT slots, changing airframes, losing their metal, etc.  Be up front and honest with your unit that you want to be an officer and fly, and that includes making yourself available to all opportunities on the island.

I would like to be crew chief or AFE, but it all depends on the slots. my recruiter says they are unfortunately out of crew chief positions, but fingers crossed that changes after I get my whole MED DQ situation sorted out. 

great advice btw!

In regards to putting all my marbles in my home unit, I totally agree. I will definitely be applying to other guard units simultaneously. With the raptors soon to be retired, I do question what the next steps are for my unit. NGAD, F-35 replacements or maybe like you said lose their metal. although, I doubt Hawaii's squadron would decommission after what happened in Pearl Harbor. Hawaii needs some type or ariel defense (I could be wrong though).

one question, what kind of opportunities are you alluding to?

On 11/9/2023 at 5:56 PM, wikz said:

[...] With the raptors soon to be retired,[...]

one question, what kind of opportunities are you alluding to?

Disregard all rumors, news, innuendo, internet conspiracies, about what metal is on which ramp; new metal is just a rumor until you step to fly one that is sitting on your ramp.  If your unit has a board coming up, submit your application, interview, do well.  There's units that have announced they will lose their metal in the next few years: they are still hosting boards and sending students to UPT. There have been students in the middle of UPT who found that they had no airplanes left on their home ramp...they typically get taken care of, find other units that are happy to have them, etc.

Opportunities: if the unit down the street offers you a UPT slot but your unit has a board next year...probably best to take the slot.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2