Jump to content
  • 0

T-1 Sim only UPT


Yeti_72

Question

Is there still a T-1 sim only (no t-6 phase) UPT syllabus? if there is, is it only for high civilian time pilots?

Been to a lot of air force training programs, a short UPT would be nice

I will be going reserve heavies if that helps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

They just brought it back at Laughlin, but its the Civilian Path to Wings (XPW) program. So its for high time airline types. Whats your flying background?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
They just brought it back at Laughlin, but its the Civilian Path to Wings (XPW) program. So its for high time airline types. Whats your flying background?

Air Force Fundamentals (AFF) is the sim-only T-1 program for high time, ATP holding students. XPW is a T-1 only program (think legacy syllabus with a couple extra blocks of training to compensate for no T-6s) intended for Commercial, Multi-Engine, Instrument types, but the only required pre-req is flight screening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Gotcha, not high time just 100 civilian hours. thanks to you both. 

Just to clarify, XPW is not sim only. You bypass the T-6, and as a result cannot be FAIPed, so it’s a great deal if you’re wanting heavies.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:


Just to clarify, XPW is not sim only. You bypass the T-6, and as a result cannot be FAIPed, so it’s a great deal if you’re wanting heavies.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XPW still a thing? What's the process to get that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
XPW still a thing? What's the process to get that?

Get to a UPT base before the last class starts and volunteer. T-1 is projected to be done at Laughlin in 2024, and Vance and Columbus in 2025.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/2/2023 at 10:50 AM, CaptainMorgan said:


Air Force Fundamentals (AFF) is the sim-only T-1 program for high time, ATP holding students. XPW is a T-1 only program (think legacy syllabus with a couple extra blocks of training to compensate for no T-6s) intended for Commercial, Multi-Engine, Instrument types, but the only required pre-req is flight screening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/2/2023 at 5:49 PM, CaptainMorgan said:


Get to a UPT base before the last class starts and volunteer. T-1 is projected to be done at Laughlin in 2024, and Vance and Columbus in 2025.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Recently hired as heavy guard and meet the xpw requirements. Process still the same, show up to UPT and volunteer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Thanks. Recently hired as heavy guard and meet the xpw requirements. Process still the same, show up to UPT and volunteer?

No, your guard unit is probably paying for a T-6 slot for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.

From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Yeti_72 said:

Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.

From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

Nope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.
From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

Don’t know if there are any certified sims in the AF, but honestly, it doesn’t matter. You’ll have the 750 for an R-ATP, and 1500 for an unrestricted in no time. Once you’ve cleared that hurdle, time in an aircraft is the only thing that matters for the airlines. When I did my ATP/type, my partner thought that sim time would help him regain recency for the purposes of getting hired (spoiler: it didn’t).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 5/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, Yeti_72 said:

Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.

From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

I have a follow-up question to this.  With the T-1 Sim Only Advance Phase of UPT now, are you strictly doing academics and sim rides for the entirety of that 5-6 month period of time?  Obviously not going to go fly the T-1, but do you get any real-world T-6 rides during that training?  It seems pretty wild that you get winged at the end of T-6 and then don't fly a real airplane for 6 months again until you go on to your assigned airframe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
50 minutes ago, twoTangoKilo said:

I have a follow-up question to this.  With the T-1 Sim Only Advance Phase of UPT now, are you strictly doing academics and sim rides for the entirety of that 5-6 month period of time?  Obviously not going to go fly the T-1, but do you get any real-world T-6 rides during that training?  It seems pretty wild that you get winged at the end of T-6 and then don't fly a real airplane for 6 months again until you go on to your assigned airframe.

It's all innovation, son. The powers that be decreed flight time is dinosaur talk and getting in the way of "progress", so VR goggles and CRAFT meditation exercises for you. Those contractors aren't gonna pay themselves after all. You'll be fine, in sha Allah, for the sake of your future crew. I mean, the airlines successfu---oh wait.... 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
I have a follow-up question to this.  With the T-1 Sim Only Advance Phase of UPT now, are you strictly doing academics and sim rides for the entirety of that 5-6 month period of time?  Obviously not going to go fly the T-1, but do you get any real-world T-6 rides during that training?  It seems pretty wild that you get winged at the end of T-6 and then don't fly a real airplane for 6 months again until you go on to your assigned airframe.

Question 1: Yes, but I believe it’s closer to 3 months.
2: No, the rust from not actually flying isn’t going to be much of an issue as your follow-on aircraft is going to be vastly different than the T-6, unless you FAIP.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Question 1: Yes, but I believe it’s closer to 3 months.
2: No, the rust from not actually flying isn’t going to be much of an issue as your follow-on aircraft is going to be vastly different than the T-6, unless you FAIP.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a HUGE difference between a T-6 only pilot and those who went before. The 100-ish hours of experience attained in T-1s/T-38s is huge, especially when addressed in the context of a syllabus designed for someone with over TWICE the experience.


Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

There is a HUGE difference between a T-6 only pilot and those who went before. The 100-ish hours of experience attained in T-1s/T-38s is huge, especially when addressed in the context of a syllabus designed for someone with over TWICE the experience.


Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

Did I say anything to that effect? The post I replied to asked about continuing to fly the T-6 while doing T-1 sims.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Did I say anything to that effect? The post I replied to asked about continuing to fly the T-6 while doing T-1 sims.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn’t. Just commenting on the topic in general. The idea of “knocking off the rust” is a joke though. You have to actually have some experience to rust…


Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...