New what are my chances.

Patrick_Krueger

Back before 2020, when I was still in college, I was actively pursuing the ANG. After I graduated, I pursued the Active Duty Navy due to an atrocious job market, got accepted, and even attended OCS in July of this year. However I DOR'd after the flight doc said my vision was slightly out of regs and disqualified me from SNA. I was also recommended to come back. I have already gotten LASIK on 02SEP2022 and have 20/15 vision, but it will be a long time until I have the opportunity to return to OCS for an SNA slot. In the meantime, I would absolutely love to at least take another shake at the ANG.

AFOQT:

Pilot 89 Navigator 77 Academic Aptitude 94 Verbal 96 Quantitative 82 (I can probably take this again and improve in some areas especially Nav)

PCSM: 54 (but in reality probably higher, this is with 16 flight hours and was under the old scoring system I now have 86. I also only took the TBAS once years ago and believe I can perform much better round 2)

GPA: 3.2 in Mechanical Engineering

Tail Wheel endorsement.

If there is any more info needed let me know.
Edited by Patrick_Krueger
added info I forgot

Props for not giving up on getting your wings. I've just been applying for the last year or so, I'll offer my input.  From what I've been told from squadrons I've been rushing, it's been very competitive, esp after COVID.  With the number of applications they get, a lot will do a hard cutoff for scores, specifically Pilot and PCSM. I don't know about the old/new scoring system, but try to get a printout of the higher version.  The most recent heavy unit I applied to, the POC said they had so many applications they ended up only looking at people with both PCSM and Pilot over 90.  

Also keep all the paperwork and stuff from your LASIK just in case, I believe there's some sort of period after you get LASIK (6months to 12 months?) to make sure it's all good.  You're still young and well below the age limit so just keep applying and building time. 

• Like 1

Props for not giving up on getting your wings. I've just been applying for the last year or so, I'll offer my input.  From what I've been told from squadrons I've been rushing, it's been very competitive, esp after COVID.  With the number of applications they get, a lot will do a hard cutoff for scores, specifically Pilot and PCSM. I don't know about the old/new scoring system, but try to get a printout of the higher version.  The most recent heavy unit I applied to, the POC said they had so many applications they ended up only looking at people with both PCSM and Pilot over 90.  
Also keep all the paperwork and stuff from your LASIK just in case, I believe there's some sort of period after you get LASIK (6months to 12 months?) to make sure it's all good.  You're still young and well below the age limit so just keep applying and building time. 

Just to answer the LASIK question: 6 months post-op prior to attending the IFC1, and 12 months post-op if it was a hyperopic treatment. Additionally, you need to meet pre-op conditions of what I’ve copied below directly from the waiver (really just a formality if you had no issues).

Initial Flying Class (IFC I/IA/II/III/RPA Pilot) or Special Operational Duty:

Pre-Operative cycloplegic refraction cannot exceed +3.00 to -8.00 in ANY meridian and cannot exceed 3.00 diopters of astigmatism with a good outcome to be non-disqualifying for all flying classes.

Pre-Operative cycloplegic refraction greater than +3.00 and less than or equal to +5.00 or greater than -8.00 and less than or equal to -10.00 in ANY meridian or greater than 3.00 and less than or equal to 6.00 diopters of astigmatism is DISQUALIFYING for all flying classes and may be considered for a waiver on a case-by-case basis. Astigmatism greater than 5.00 diopters will not be waived for accession/commissioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, 7thokage said:

Just to answer the LASIK question: 6 months post-op prior to attending the IFC1, and 12 months post-op if it was a hyperopic treatment. Additionally, you need to meet pre-op conditions of what I’ve copied below directly from the waiver (really just a formality if you had no issues).

Initial Flying Class (IFC I/IA/II/III/RPA Pilot) or Special Operational Duty:

Pre-Operative cycloplegic refraction cannot exceed +3.00 to -8.00 in ANY meridian and cannot exceed 3.00 diopters of astigmatism with a good outcome to be non-disqualifying for all flying classes.

Pre-Operative cycloplegic refraction greater than +3.00 and less than or equal to +5.00 or greater than -8.00 and less than or equal to -10.00 in ANY meridian or greater than 3.00 and less than or equal to 6.00 diopters of astigmatism is DISQUALIFYING for all flying classes and may be considered for a waiver on a case-by-case basis. Astigmatism greater than 5.00 diopters will not be waived for accession/commissioning.

Thankfully for me I was way within that vision standard. I was at least close enough for the Navy to think I would pass. Thank you for also clarifying on the time it would take for me to be qualified for the FC1, I thought it was 6 months but I appreciate the clarification.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, MeekTiger0824 said:

Alright, the standards are still nice and high. I figured it would get competitive with the airline furloughs. I'll have to work my hardest to make up for that. Thank you for the up to date info.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, 7thokage said:

Pertaining to this, do you mean the waiting period is 6-months for all Myopia related cases and 12 months for far-sighted (hyperopic) individuals? 

Reason I ask is because I’m on the higher end of the spectrum for Myopia (near the waiverable limits for pre-op refractive surgery). And I’ve heard it could be higher depending on how high your myopia was.

In addition, I’m only 1.5 years away from my Junior year in college; therefore, my FCI, AF commitment, and pilot slot are around the corner. 

Timing with my LASIK at this point is crucial. 

Thanks and good day, 

Addison

Pertaining to this, do you mean the waiting period is 6-months for all Myopia related cases and 12 months for far-sighted (hyperopic) individuals? 

Reason I ask is because I’m on the higher end of the spectrum for Myopia (near the waiverable limits for pre-op refractive surgery). And I’ve heard it could be higher depending on how high your myopia was.

In addition, I’m only 1.5 years away from my Junior year in college; therefore, my FCI, AF commitment, and pilot slot are around the corner. 
Timing with my LASIK at this point is crucial. 
Thanks and good day, 
Addison

That’s correct. 6 months for all myopia cases and 1 year for all hyperopic cases.

As long as you are within the +3 to -8 range pre-op you are good. Outside of that range is waiverable on a case by case basis if it doesn’t exceed +5 or -10.