pacer-craig

Guest spar91

Guest spar91

as an airlift pilot, i was under the impression that "pacer-craig" of the kc135 variety was actually an acronym for something.

i was just reading a regulation that had "pacer-craig" spelled out, which i thought was wrong.

can a tanker pilot please enlighten me?

thanks

ps - what percentage of AD 135s have this mod?

pps - did you [tanker pilots] know that we [c17 pilots] don't need to know your squawk? i can't speak for c5s, but i chuckle when tanker pilots pass us their squawk.

[ 26. May 2005, 12:59: Message edited by: spar91 ]

Pacer is some sort of name for avionics related stuff, I've seen it before (PACER Coin, PACER CLASSIC was some sort fo T-38 thing, etc).

CRAG stands for Compass, Radar And GPS. People pronounce it "Craig", but it's spelled CRAG.

From the Altus workbook:

The PACER CRAG program involves the integration of a number of maor avionics systems into the KC-135 fleet. The MAjor subsystems include:

-Compass replacement system

-FMS

-MFD systems

-color wx radar

-E-TCAS

-EGPWS

-FSAS

-RVSM

Almost all of the KC-135's, even the E models have it now. I don't know of any straight up tankers that don't have the mod. RCs have a different mod, the OC's are Pacer CRAG, don't know anything past that.

We can tag a squawk with our E-TCAS. All the white diamonds will be floating around out there, but yours will be blue, in a little box with your Mode 3 code underneath it.

So when we're up over Halifax at 0330 so you guys can get home and get a little lovin before the kids get home from school, we're just trying to make it easier on everyone. ;) I'll pass the word around that you guys don't need it.

I'm actually surprised you don't have that capability being as new as you are.

Any FRED drivers out there, can you tag a Mode 3?

[ 26. May 2005, 14:14: Message edited by: PAB ]

Guest spar91

we have a ditty where we put in your bcn code like 6/1 or whatever and a small box with an X in it will appear on our map screen. the bcn code is to the left of the box, and the signal strength, from like 1-9 or something, is below the box. the X indicates bcn of interest - if it matches the code we input.

lots of c17s, (79/137 to be exact), or 58%, have tcas. we figure which one you are just by position on our map - where we expect you to be. normally we don't turn our iff to stby (and thus tcas) until we're about 1 nm from you, which is why you sometimes get a TA when we're closing in behind you.

We go to TA in our Prep for Contact checklist. As for our APN-69 beacon, as they fail they pull and collar the circuit breakers, so we are no longer using a 3 digit beacon code.

In fact, the first two steps of the checklist used to be 1. Radios-Monitor and 2 APN-69 Beacon-Operate (both were to be accomplished no later than 30 min prior to the ARCT), but now step 2 simply says (deleted)

What is this other beacon you're talking about? Is it a KC-10 specific thing, or is it something my jet automatically does, because I have no reference to it other than our receiver info of our -3 says you have an APX-105. I know we don't turn anything special on for a RZ with you guys, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible)

Guest spar91

the bcn code i was referring to is for the APX-78 beacons. [reference ap1/b, ar track info, 5.d., comm plan] and you just told me you have APN-69 beacons [that don't work]. so the 1/1 - 6/1 codes i've been inputting have no bearing, i just learned. :>

i have always input both codes - -78 and -69 beacon codes. i never knew what planes used which.

so do all kc-135 jets have the apn-69 thing, or just the PACER CRAG ones?

any idea where i can find out how many kc-135s in the usaf are NOT PACER CRAG? all of our tanker info includes a caveat for PACER CRAG, and if *all* 135s are PACER CRAG, then the regs should be edited...

which beacons do the kc-10s have? anyone?

it's good to bridge the gap on stuff like this! thanks.

According to my -3 (KC-135 A/R Procedures (Tanker)), the KC-10's have the APX-78. We don't use the APN-69 anymore, our new Radar can't see it, and we don't transmit anymore.

With the Mode 3 tagging, it's a moot point for us. Some guys I've refueled will incorporate it in with their 15 min call...BarneyXX, FL 200, 29.92, On time, squawking 6723. We'll accept MARSA, plug you into the TCAS and be on our way down track to pick you up.

[ 26. May 2005, 19:16: Message edited by: PAB ]

Originally posted by ChuckFlys17s:

I was under the impression that ALL 135's have the PC upgrade.

That is correct. To be more precise, all KC-135s have Pacer CRAG, "even the E-model" as PAB put it. There may still be some steam gauge RC-135s out there or that oddball NC-18 flying around in the dark ages.