Kentucky Derby 131

Guest Wxpunk

Guest Wxpunk

Well here we go again; Kentucky Derby is upon us. Tomorrow is the 131st running of the Kentucky Derby, the first and most coveted race of the Triple Crown.

This year boasts a newly renovated Churchill Downs and absolutely beautiful weather. The combination has brought more corporate jets to Louisville International than I've ever seen in my life!

Be that as it may, we can't let the CEO's and top execs of corporate America have all the fun! Enter the USAF and USN!

DerbyTalons.jpg

DerbyGoshawks.jpg

DerbyMil.jpg

I walked over and spoke with two of the Lieutenants from Vance. I thought they were just passing through...nope! They're here for the ponies! They flew in today and don't leave until Sunday. Must be nice. I guess that's one bonus for being a FAIP.

------------------

Wxpunk

[ 06. May 2005, 21:12: Message edited by: Wxpunk ]

Guest Wxpunk

The way I see it is you have to fly the hours anyway, so why not pick your destination? It's not like these guys went and requested extra flying money just to go to a horserace.

Really, these guys are being efficient...flying the hours they need to while greatly boosting morale. You can't really put a price on morale.

I would encourage this type activity, provided all goes well at the event.

------------

Wxpunk

Originally posted by Wxpunk:

[QB]The way I see it is you have to fly the hours anyway, so why not pick your destination?/QB]

Unforunately it not about the way you see it. It's about the way the press distorts it.

Welcome to the military.

Guest Lightninbo

hey wx you will get sick of seeing those 38's here at randolph... every 2 minutes one is blasting out of here!

Guest PalmettoGuy

Hey WX,

Are those planes at Standiford or Bowman? I would have guessed Bowman from the grass growing out of the concrete and the background in general, but it seems like the added security of the KYANG at Standiford would keep the planes parked there.

Guest Wxpunk

They're on a closed ramp at Standiford Field. Like IP said, Bowman can't support aircraft like these.

KLOU - BOWMAN FIELD

6/24 4326' X 75'

14/32 3579' X 80'

00238AD.gif

KSDF - LOUISVILLE INTERNATIONAL AT STANDIFORD FIELD

17R/35L 10000' X 150'

17L/35R 8579' X 150'

11/29 7250' X 150'

00239AD.gif

-----------------

Wxpunk

[ 07. May 2005, 19:20: Message edited by: Wxpunk ]

I'm surprised the Navy was there. OPNAVINST 3710 specifically forbids flying to places that have events like the Derby, Superbowl, World Series, etc... because of the bad impression it gives, I'm not sure what the AF pubs have to say on the subject...