CATS anybody?

Techsan

I liked it; pretty informative; playing with the MANPADS was fun!!

I went 2 years ago and it was 2.5-3 weeks long. A few days ran a bit long, but nothing brutal.

Plus I had a KC-10 buddy at Mcguire so it was fun to see him again.

I would highly recommend it to anybody.

Originally posted by Carnal:

Found this guy who has the same birthday as me... (And he went to CATS)

AWACKER Pilot at CATS?

I understand sending the ABM to WIC, they are managing the fight (or trying to), but why do we send an E-3 pilot to CATS?

Are we trying to teach him or her how to run away if someone gets through the HAVA CAP.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Combat Aircrew Tactics school...went about 1 yr ago myself...excellent school, esp for folks who never deal w/ Tactical Issues on a daily basis (OSA, Refuelers, ACC Heavy planes, etc).

CATS is a far cry from WIC; however, sending an E-3 pilot to CATS makes perfect sense. There's ton's of info that the AMWC produces that is coincidental to the AFTTP 3-1/3-3 series...MANPAD capabilities, Falcon View, VTRAT, etc etc. The class is more suited for C-17 and C-130 guys, but it's still a very informative class.

I thought CATS was more of an airdrop thing and it was the place to go for herk dudes back in the early 90's.

The 130 WIC turned into a chocolate mess in 2001 and left the weapons school domain as a result.

If CATS is focused on adding tactical knowledge, I am all for it, regardless of crew position or airframe.

Guest C-21 Pilot

CH...

Think of CATS as Tactics "101"...normally, guys who are going will soon be Squadron or Wing Tactics folks. As in the OSA world, we have no WIC (yet) so this is pretty much all we get and teach G060 from this stuff.

There is some talk of AD...but definately in the context that will keep an AWACKER's attention.

Bottom line...good school. AFSOC and Pointy Nose folks would probably be bored out of their mind....for me, very interesting...simply from stuff I had never thought or heard of.

I agree with C-21; I thought of it as training to be shift chief of a tactics shop while the Squad WIC rep is the overall head honcho. You get a little bit of this and a little of that; enough so that you could speak with a bit of authority but when it came to the big issues you would defer to the WIC officer.

The only time it has come in handy was when my WIC officer asked me to be the airlift liason to the strike packages for Cope Thunder up in Alaska. He ran airlift tactics out of Elmendorf and I deconflicted airlift routes w/ the strike packages and helped integrate some of the foreign heavies that were based out of Eileson vs Elmendorf.

Good class!