Incredible footage of microburst at USAFA airfield

TLAR

This just released...

No injuries. I can't even imagine what it would be like sitting in the cockpit when that happens. No training or experience could prepare you for such a crazy situation like this when you're just chilling, parked at 0 knots. :beer: to these tow pilots.

• Upvote 1

I saw something very similiar down on that airfield with an approaching thunderstorm about a decade ago. A couple of super-cubs literally took off from a stand still about 50' away. Those pilots are all retired USAF with about a bazillion hours. Cool video.

Edited by billy pilgrim

Back in 1975 I was stationed at D-M and sitting in my BOQ. There were a couple of C-133s parked nearby on the NW ramp awaiting transfer to somewhere else (storage or scrapping, I suppose). They were chocked but not tied down, and empty of fuel and interior gear (very light!). We had a similar storm blow up with gusts well above 60 kts (some said near 80). I happened to be looking that direction and noticed the aircraft were actually nosing into the wind and going airborne. They lifted out of their chocks several feet into the air and started skipping backwards toward the main gate. They didn't roll, so I assume they had the brakes set. I called base ops and notified them, but their reply was "Screw them...nobody here is going out into that storm". They moved themselves about 50-100 feet backwards before the wind died. There wasn't any damage but it was really weird to watch.

I saw something very similiar down on that airfield with an approaching thunderstorm about a decade ago. A couple of super-cubs literally took off from a stand still about 50' away. Those pilots are all retired USAF with about a bazillion hours. Cool video.

Most of those guys probably haven't had that much excitement since 'Nam. (Not an exaggeration when I was there) Their experience has prevented countless mishaps, e.g. rudder pedal spring snapping on taxi.

Saw the same thing in the fall of 2000. It was a strong mountain wave/rotor day. The windsock on top of the ridge was pegged, and it was obvious the wind was starting to come down the mountain. We recalled everyone and them on the ground. Just before the gust hit, the tow planes marshaled in front of the tower to start the elephant walk back to the hangar. All 5 became airborne from their parking location, with one just about hitting the tower. They diverted to COS.

Those pilots were awesome. At the time, most were retired Vietnam-era AF pilots. I once asked one of the gray-hairs what he flew on AD. He answered, "the Century series." Man, I thought that was the AF I was joining...