ANG Orientation

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been here, but I've put in my packet for a boom operator position in a local tanker squadron. They recently got back to me and invited me to go to an "orientation"

What can I expect? Is it going to be a group or individidual thing? I'm thinking it's a walk around the hangar and then a meet & greet. What should I wear? I'm thinking "business casual" type stuff with appropriate tennis shoes because we may be on a flightline. Any tips besides study up on the aircraft/unit?

-Thanks

Edited by StickShaker

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been here, but I've put in my packet for a boom operator position in a local tanker squadron. They recently got back to me and invited me to go to an "orientation"

What can I expect? Is it going to be a group or individidual thing? I'm thinking it's a walk around the hangar and then a meet & greet. What should I wear? I'm thinking "business casual" type stuff with appropriate tennis shoes because we'll might be on a flightline. Any tips besides study up on the aircraft/unit?

-Thanks

Just be yourself dude.

"Orientation" means they want to meet you; a good way for them (outside the formal process) to gauge how you'll fit on the crew. Group or individual? Different units do it different. Regardless, when you get out there, make some effort to step around and shake some hands. Get to know as many people as you can around the unit and throw out a little about yourself too. I've heard of units that take this "orientation" thing as serious as your actual interview. And when I say interview, I'm mostly talking officer aircrew, I'm not sure if this unit will hold interview boards for booms. Enlisted aircrew with most units go through the regular recruiting process. They to however get a chance to mix with the bubbas at the squadron before signing the dotted line.

What should you wear? Look smart. I wouldn't say throw on a suit; and I wouldnt say throw on some jeans and tennis shoes either. Folks out there have presented well with business casual and some clean work boots, or some comfortable decent shoes.

Studying up on the Aircraft / Unit = Good idea. You want to fly with these guys? It would be nice to know what you are getting yourself into, especially when asked. Not talking aircraft manual and technical orders here; you'll get that shit in KC-135 school (which is what Azimuth eluded to earlier). Talking more aircraft mission, capabilities, etc. Y'know, the general shit about what you will be flying and the unit you'll be flying with.

Go out there, make friends, have fun. Remember, fundamental question in their minds is: Is this a guy we would want to hang out with on an X-month deployment to [wherever the f*ck tankers deploy to these days] while we support a bunch of vipers and hogs out there killing shit & breaking people?

Bottom line: Don't be an asshole.

Then talk shit about them.

Make sure to yawn as much as humanly possible. Make it noticeable.

Don't be that douchebag and make your intro like this. I know it's cliche, but first impressions last a loooooong time - especially in a guard/reserve unit. A friend of mine, who is a pretty good dude, made a heck of a first day impression....like 10 years ago...... at the unit, and he is still labeled as that douchebag despite him being a good dude since then. Guys still bring up the time he made his entrance those first few hours in the unit.

Well, it turned out to be a straight up interview with your standard type of interview questions. It didn't go too well. I said some of the wrong things, not enough of the right things. Although I still made a positive impression, I doubt I will get the job. I got the feeling they had someone in mind already.

Anyway, thank you for the replies, reading up on the unit definitely did help, as did having some questions for them prepared. I realized I probably should have directly asked my contact in the squadron what to expect.

Alright, one more question y'all.

Here's my situation:

My goal is to get in with either the local or some other fighter squadron once I get my degree.

I've spoken with a fighter driver in the squadron and he says just go for the shortest tech school job, in or out of the squadron. I'm inclined to trust him on this, but was wondering what you folks thought.

I've thought of doing Aircrew Flight Equipment, and it seems that has worked for some people on this board, but some people do not seem to enjoy it. I'm meeting with some of those folks soon.

Someone else has advised me to do ATC, which I know I would enjoy, but I'm not sure if this would hurt my chances of getting in an aircraft versus being in the squadron.

-Thanks

Edited by StickShaker