Expedited TSA Screening for Active Duty Military Effective 20 Dec

SeaTac has a TSA Pre-check/Military line.

Yes, but I have discovered there is more than 1 Pre-Check line at SEA and they are not all equal. If you have TSA Pre-Check on your boarding pass (BTW, this is up to the airline to do, not TSA) you can go to any Pre-Check line. If you do not have it on your boarding pass you can only go to the Check Point 2 Pre-Check line. That is the only one that has the scanner for the CAC.

All of you bitching about this not being a perfect syatem are barking up the wrong tree. It is an airline issue, not TSA.

But don't worry, the airlines will get this all fixed very soon since they are in a hiring boom.

Edited by Butters
  • Downvote 1

Yes, but I have discovered there is more than 1 Pre-Check line at SEA and they are not all equal. If you have TSA Pre-Check on your boarding pass (BTW, this is up to the airline to do, not TSA) you can go to any Pre-Check line. If you do not have it on your boarding pass you can only go to the Check Point 2 Pre-Check line. That is the only one that has the scanner for the CAC.

All of you bitching about this not being a perfect syatem are barking up the wrong tree. It is an airline issue, not TSA.

But don't worry, the airlines will get this all fixed very soon since they are in a hiring boom.

Good info thanks.

Wish I had this a couple weeks ago going through OAK, the security line in the Southwest terminal wrapped back around the baggage carousels. It took over an hour to get through. There was only one regular check line open, while there were two precheck lines open. Couldn't figure that one out....oh yeah...it's TSA.

• 1 year later...

In this same vein, fivethirtyeight.com has a big report about which airports and airlines have the most delays, and which ones actually beat their predicted time. There's a lot of nerdy calculations involved. Here's what they found:

silver-feature-fastflight-7.png?w=305&h=

In this second chart, the number on the right is the time difference from what the airline publicizes, meaning they "pad" the time, so they are giving themselves extra protection by under-promising and over-delivering. The score on the right is a calculation of how well the airline performs compared to the other carriers flying the routes, meaning it's totally performance based instead of whatever is advertised.

silver-feature-fastflight-81.png?w=305&h

There's also a really fancy interactive map showing which routes are the slowest, based off the performance of the airports, but I don't think it's very useful because routes usually aren't options for most passengers. For me at least, I have to fly the same main route unless I have beaucoup bucks to burn for fewer connections or a direct flight.

Something I would ask anybody currently employed at or soon to be interviewing for one of the major airlines is this: Could you extrapolate this data to help you choose an airline that displays efficiency and coordination instead of incompetence? Or would it signify the airline's has a stickler culture of scrimping and pushing employees?

So to wrap up, this is one more way to measure how great or crappy your flying experience is. There are many other studies and comparisons about how airlines perform. I always enjoy fivethirtyeight's reports because they are very heavily data driven and they try to account for human variables.

Edited by deaddebate