Pilot to Pilot Marriage

PaddyPilot

My girlfriend and I are both going to be going to UPT (6 months staggered) and we're also planning on getting married.. I've heard plenty of advice against it, but it's going to happen. That being said, has anyone even heard of a successful pilot-pilot marriage? What are the factors that would affect us (air frame selection, deployments, etc)? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Not married to another pilot, but having known folks that are, the biggest challenge will be getting the same airframe. If you don't both get KC-135's (for example) then it will be a challenge to get Join Spouse assignments at the same base. In UPT there were 2nd assignment Captains that were married during training...he got C-17's, she got A-10's. AFPC/assignments process got him C-17's to Charleston and she got A-10's to Pope--best they could do, and then of course they both got T-37's IP jobs to the same base. I also knew 2 H-1 pilots who were married and they had 3 assignments together before she got out...again, much easier when you have the same airframe.

My personal opinion is that you have to determine both your #1 priorities--if it's to get the airframe both of you want (regardless of the other's desire) then it will be tough to live with each other unless you both want/receive the same airframe and it's one of the more 'common' aircraft dropped (KC-135's, C-17's, etc). Either way, you're rolling the dice as nothing in the AF is fair.

If you're all about getting the same aircraft to increase the chances you will be stationed together, then I would definitely go T-1's (most common track select) and then chose one of the more common aircraft that is typically dropped to the folks at the bottom half of the class (I'm assuming it's a KC-135...no offense guys, just a rough numbers assumption here). I think it's smart to play the odds on this one if you want to live in the same location.

As you can see, IMO, it's all about being able to live with each other...else, why bother getting married if you're in a constant long distance relationship? To make the join spouse program work in your favor then you have to give AFPC/UPT assignment folks the best numbers to work with. Good luck.

My girlfriend and I are both going to be going to UPT (6 months staggered) and we're also planning on getting married.. I've heard plenty of advice against it, but it's going to happen. That being said, has anyone even heard of a successful pilot-pilot marriage? What are the factors that would affect us (air frame selection, deployments, etc)? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

There's at least one KC-10 pilot-pilot marriage at WRI right now (2 years ago, their desert lines overlapped while I was out there). I know there were a few at one point; I have no idea if the others survived the deployment schedule/upgrade schedule/follow-on assignment shuffle.

I know 3 couples who are both U-28 pilots and they've made it work so far despite numerous deployments/TDYs/etc.

One pair in particular was together during the later years of college, stayed together during UPT, both were able to drop U-28s (about 9 months staggered from different UPT bases I believe) and ended up in the same squadron. That's a lot of dice rolls but I guess they won.

I'm sure it can be done (2 pilots, just regular mil-to-mil), but I'm damn glad my wife is able to tag along with me at a moment's notice wherever the Wizard decides to send me next.

Good luck to ya...if you guys are determined to make it work you can just have a clear head about the obstacles ahead before proceeding full-throttle.

Edited by nsplayr

I've seen it work 135 to 135 (3 times) and 135 to F-15 (twice). 5 out of 5 seemed to be doing fine, but in two the cases one of the spouses either got out or is looking to get out. The other option is for you both to go RPAs, since those are easy to get. As stated earlier, your best bet is to try and go for airframes and locations considered less desirable. Good luck.