Survey help for ERAU MAS

Waddlek

Hello,

My name is Kevin Waddle. I am a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant, aircraft maintenance, working on my Master's degree in aeronautics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

As part of my graduate capstone project, I am researching generational and aviation experience related differences in attitudes toward automation in aviation: specifically, as they relate to future unmanned commercial aviation.

No personally identifiable information is collected in this survey, only demographic and opinion information.

To complete this research I need your assistance in completing a survey.

The survey is located at

http://waddleweb.com/lime/index.php/462867/lang-en

Thank you,

Kevin

Your questions go the wrong way brother if you are checking pilots on their attitudes of drones. Good luck with that. Rack and stack our beliefs? How bout this, drones suck and passengers will never fly on a pilotless jet, maybe cargo, but not passengers.

Did I mention drones suck?

Your questions go the wrong way brother if you are checking pilots on their attitudes of drones. Good luck with that. Rack and stack our beliefs? How bout this, drones suck and passengers will never fly on a pilotless jet, maybe cargo, but not passengers.

Did I mention drones suck?

Actually, that is my hypothesis... that drones suck.

Intentionally skewed final question to favor drones to show that even if UAV are more reliable people want Chuck Yeager in the driver's seat

Your questions want us evaluate terminal desires and end state existence that have answers that do not apply to drones, the Air Force nor the military. It makes no sense in the kind of survey you want military pilots to take, unless your "thesis" isn't about drones or pilots, but the military as a whole. I find it revolting.

Your questions want us evaluate terminal desires and end state existence that have answers that do not apply to drones, the Air Force nor the military. It makes no sense in the kind of survey you want military pilots to take, unless your "thesis" isn't about drones or pilots, but the military as a whole. I find it revolting.

The Rokeach Values Survey is in there because my capstone advisor insisted. Cooperate and Graduate. I spent 32 years in uniform. My advisor did 20+. There is no nefarious plot here. My thesis is that autonomous flight is coming. Probably cargo first, and legs that are mostly over water. If it is coming, research needs to be done on customer attitudes and pilot attitudes. My research is not about drones, pilots or the military at all. It is about attitudes toward automation and the differences between pilots and non-pilots. The military just happens to have a large pool of pilots. It is also the culture I know best. Your opinion, which you are entitled to, confirms what most crew chiefs think about most pilots.

Edited by Waddlek

Your opinion, which you are entitled to, confirms what most crew chiefs think about most pilots.

So you want a message board, mostly made up of pilots, to fill out your survey, then you add this snarky remark when questioned about your survey.

Good luck with your research.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Upvote 2

So you want a message board, mostly made up of pilots, to fill out your survey, then you add this snarky remark when questioned about your survey.

Good luck with your research.

You're right... I should have let the comment that my intentions were "revolting" go unanswered as unworthy of response.

You'd think that a long career in the Air Force would have at least taught you that -- as a new guy -- your opinion doesn't mean squat, and that you should never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Good luck with your capstone project.

Edited by Ram

Someone questions your thesis and your immediate response is to insinuate all pilots are bags of dicks because of it?

32 years of service and working on a masters eh? Fooled me.

I questioned the assertion that my survey was part of some anti-military conspiracy and was "revolting".

You're right... I should have let the comment that my intentions were "revolting" go unanswered as unworthy of response.

No, you should've answered the question when asked and not get defensive about a simple question. To be honest no one here, including myself, give a shit about your bio nor your background. Also I don't think anyone here who wears any type of wings, including me, give a shit what crew chiefs think about flyers. Your snarky comment to a bunch of Officers is the reason why there are Chiefs and E-9's. You sound like the latter.

I took the survey. I agree that it felt like there were a lot of questions that had little to nothing to do with attitudes toward fully autonomous commercial operations. I didn't like the Values portion and feel that you may not get any useful data from it. Since it's right at the beginning you may end up with people not completing the whole survey if they find the Values questions too annoying. You might have considered bouncing the survey off a couple of pilots beforehand to validate that you're getting answers to the questions that you're truly addressing in your project.

Contrary to the tone of the responses you've received here, not all pilots are dicks. I'm willing to forgive your snarky comment and ignore the original insulting ("revolting") one in the interest of civility and academic pursuit. Good luck with your project.

word, words, words... Your opinion, which you are entitled to, confirms what most crew chiefs think about most pilots.

Was that statement really necessary? i don't care if it's pilots, little league coaches or a fire truck full of midget clowns, pissing off a group of people you came to ask help from is piss poor planning . By the way, I also spent a quarter century bending wrenches on Big Blues fast jets but have a totally different opinion than you. With very few exceptions every pilot I ever dealt with was a decent guy/gal. Were there some jerks along the way? Sure, you'll find that anywhere in life, but I knew a whole metric shitload more maintainers who didn't give a rats ass about anything but themselves as well. There's dickheads on both sides of the E/O divide and I think its safe to say you're perpetuating a maintainer stereotype in the eyes of the pilot population. Way to go there chief ... E-9 guy

• Upvote 1