The Homeowner Insurance Thread --ASI

DUNBAR

Looking for help/advice on homeowners' insurance. If you've been shopping for a home on the eastern seaboard this summer, you probably know a lot of insurance companies (USAA, Allstate, State Farms) are running away screaming and won't write the policy. This is my first time straying off the USAA insurance reservation (and yes I've read the "USAA" thread) and was wondering what others have to say.

USAA is directing me toward ASI. Additionally, I have a quote with Amica, who allegedly has a sterling reputation, but they seem to be TWICE as much as ASI for the same coverage. Is anyone insured with either company? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Edited by DUNBAR

Thanks Marco, good to know.

I know it's not exactly the sexiest thread topic in the world, but like I said, trying to get good insurance on the eastern seaboard these days is quite an eye opener.

Recently got a house at Eglin. USAA via ASI = 4200. Stopped at an insurance broker in Ft Walton and they got me a policy through Federated National at 1969. Damn near identical policies.

I've been told by numerous people that USAA is not competitive in mortgage & insurance. My experience has been the same.

Last word - my property was 100% compliant on its wind mitigation inspection...that helped get me get the lowest rate. If your property doesn't max out the wind inspection (at least in FL), you'll pay higher regardless of the provider.

Good Luck

Just moved to Panama City. Usaa wouldn't insure outright (old house in fl) and the rate from their agency (I forget the underwriter) was double others. They won't directly insure florida houses that don't meet the 2002 (?) Miami building codes (that most of fl has adopted).

I've used usaa for homeowners in other areas (sc, az) and was pleased with both their rates and service on claims.

ASI started reasonable for me when I first bought my house 4 years ago in the Eglin area. Every year, the rate went up $200 or $300. I finally switched to Fed National and am saving $1000 a year. I wish now that I would have switched at the first rate increase. If anyone needs, I can PM my wind mitigation inspector and insurance agent info along. My insurance inspection costed $125 and the deal was that I'd get a refund if the house didn't pass.

Edited by Dupe