Drops at Corpus

Guest emilyjoyau

Guest emilyjoyau

So, I see all these posts about drops at Columbus/XL/Vance and what not, but never see anything about the drops at Corpus...anyone out there in good ole Texas training for the C130, let me know how those drops usually go and the likelyhood of getting the type C130 you want out of there! Thanks a bunch

Guest hockeymv

Emily,

Here's the last 2 from what I can remember..

2 AC's

1 HC to Moody

2 to Ramstein (Me! YES!)

2 to Yokota

2 to Dyess

2 to Pope

3 to Little Rock

Give or take one to Pope/LR

1 MC to Kadena

1 to Ramstein

1 to Little Rock

I think? the rest were guard/reserve?

Hope this helps. It's a lot like AF UPT. Depends on how you do and.. depends on the class you're in.

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...
Guest KoolKat

05-25 (2 active duty AF)

1 MC Mildenhall

1 Slick Yokota

(As far as what you want, the slick was a 1st choice, the SO was a 2nd choice.)

[ 31. August 2005, 09:46: Message edited by: Bender ]

• 2 years later...

7-27

1 HC Moody

1 MC Cannon (me!)

1 slick Ramstein

2 slicks Yokota

3 slicks Dyess

3 slicks Little Rock (no J's)

1 EC DM

Edited by egovolo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Technique only

There has been discussion from time to time on here that the pipeline between UPT and a MC/AC/HC-130 will be shut down and the new pilots will be taken from slicks. It seems that the track to specops from Corpus is still alive and well. Is there any word from anyone in the know when the change will occur or if it is even still planned? Thanks.

There has been discussion from time to time on here that the pipeline between UPT and a MC/AC/HC-130 will be shut down and the new pilots will be taken from slicks. It seems that the track to specops from Corpus is still alive and well. Is there any word from anyone in the know when the change will occur or if it is even still planned? Thanks.

I JUST got the brief on this one... so I'll jump in here.

Right now there's no plan to stop the pipeline to AFSOC-world. We simply can't do it to keep the cockpits filled (yes, I said cockpits).

I had a very interesting discussion with the CNATRA / TRAWING FOUR folks about the requirements to select an AFSOC assignment if one comes down in your drop at NAS CC. They've got the numbers... I don't have 'em in front of me, so I'm not going to make a thumb-n-fore finger anal extraction on the BaseOps.Net forum about 'em.

There will continue to be some flow from the AMC side of the house, as AFSOC continues to need more experienced Tac Airlifters to fill the ranks as well.

To answer your question directly - It's not a polar solution... one or the other... it's gotta be both to make it work. That's the latest and greatest from the AFSOC/A1 and AFPC folks... if they've got better info than I do, I'll gladly admit my wrongs and take a slap on the wrist.

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

Guest Safe&Clear

Met a contractor-10-pound-head-number-cruncher type this morning from AETC at Randolph. A data-analyst guy who seemed in the know.

He mentioned a huge flow coming/ happening of 1LT/Capt fighter pilots over to AFSOC. Wonder how that's gonna affect things on this topic?

He also verified the huge glut of copilots in the AMC world.

Bottom line, he said: the AF has been overproducing big-time for 5 years in ALL categories... and nobody up top will listen.

Now, anybody want some good news?

I've also been talking alot with FAA/ Airline HR type folks lately. There is a tremendous shortage of pilots-in- general foreseen in the next ten years. We're talking everything from small-fry cargo ops to commuters to major airlines. The minimum hiring requirements for civilian jobs are gonna be drastically slashed in the near future.

Coincidence? I can't say, but it's gonna be interesting... Y'all go ahead and get your wings. Somebody's gonna need ya!

Edited by Safe&Clear

• 3 weeks later...

But it does matter for students selecting AFSOC/Rescue assignments. 50 was the cut off in my day. You are 100% correct about the needs of the AF, but if a class is weak overall, AFPC may hold onto the AFSOC assignment until the next round, or use it elsewhere (at a UPT base (rare), crossflow, requal, etc.) But unfortunately, the NSS score is not a truely objective ranking system and says nothing of the quality of pilot the program produced. In fact, the NSS system is retarded. When student A in one squadron flies with some bleeding heart Santa Claus Coastie IP who gives firewall E's in the early rides (when "MIF" is only a Fair), and student B in another squadron flies with a more objective and harder to impress Air Force IP and earns F's, G's, and the occasional E early on - and early on is where the biggest money is made in the NSS - and they meet up at the end of the program to get racked and stacked and pick their destiny, the system has problems. But, like all things Navy...that's the way they do it. I'm sure the Air Force system at whatever UPT base is similar, but it's a lot tighter because I'd be willing to bet IPs in the same flight know how eachother grades and there's more instructor continuity with the students. Whereas Navy, you can be four months into a five month program and fly with someone you've never even heard of before. Or hell, go cross country with them to a very small town in the middle of Wyoming staying with their parents for two days. That wasn't awkward at first. At all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest PhantomIIF4

I've got about three months left in the T-6 (thus about halfway done I suppose), and I want to track T-44's to Corpus. My question is about Herc bases.

Ideally, I'd like to get slicks to Little Rock and I don't mean just for the schoolhouse. I mean I'd like to get operationally assigned there. Is that possible, and if so do a lot of people tend to fight for those spots? If I am fortunate enough to track T-44's in a few months, are the odds good that I can get myself to Little Rock after I complete the last phase of UPT at Corpus?

Thanks for any and all help.

If you have been paying attention to the drops posted above you will see that Little Rock accounts for about 50% of the non-Spec Ops assingments. So YES getting stationed to Little Rock is possible and rather easy to get as long as you are in the top half of your class of other Air Force AD students.

Edited by ucf_motorcycle

• 3 weeks later...
1 C-130 Yakota

Any way that you can pass along to all of the other studs at Corpus that it's "YOKOTA", not "Yakota." I don't know why it bugs me so much when I see that, but I guess it would be the same way if people spelled other bases like "Ramstyn", "Little Rok", "Diess", or "Pohp".

Ugh.

The only way for you to be stationed at Little Rock on your first assignment IS in an ops squadron. Only instructors get assigned to the schoolhouse. And no, it's not a hard assingment to get.

HD

Not sure if it is still the case, but some basic Navs were being assigned to the 53d and 62d for a while. They would fly on missions that didn't have a student and therefore, no IN required either. This helped free-up INs for other duties.

• 1 month later...

The results are in from today's AD drop here at Corpus. And the awards for complete breakdown of the NSS system go to...

2 J-Models - Little Rock

1 MC - Mildenhall

1 PC-12 - Cannon

3 slicks to Dyess

3 slicks to Little Rock

1 to the Cheyenne experience

1 AC-130 - Hurlburt

For all those who were wondering what I was referring to as far as the breakdown of the NSS, one of the J-mod recipients had two (2, dos) ready-room unsats. Essentially, said dude showed up to the briefing so unprepared that the IP wouldn't take him flying. The greatest thing about Navy training is that it's based almost entirely on in-plane performance. That's also its worst aspect.

So, I guess my words of advice and wisdom are that you can be a shitbag here as long as you have decent hands.

:beer:

• 2 months later...