Airman dies during survival training in Pensacola Bay

czecksikhs

From the content of the article it was most likely a refresher course, when I was there about a month of ago we had several older guys going back through the course with the first time students. A couple guys were active duty recalls and the likes.

Looks like an outstanding officer, prayers go out to his family. :beer:

Him Him... :beer:

Wonder if he was doing ejection water survival (i.e. that would require the parasailing part) in order to fly in fighters at Eglin? Seems like as a previous HC/MC-130 and CV-22 guy he would have done the non-ejection course previously. I remember that course and they seemed to do a good job of keeping civilian boat traffic away from us.

Either way it's a damn shame...too many Air Force brothers dying this year.

Herc pilots go to Pensacola for water survival now. I don't know what it used to be but it is now parachute or non-parachute, so if you MWS can carry a parachute you go to FL.

Non-parachute is at Fairchild.a lot of heavies in AMC took parachutes off a few years ago, which made Inital Qual student to start attending the non-parachuting water survival. Pensacola was a blast when I went through.

For everyone trying to figure out why a major was in that course: He was a flight test engineer - He probably had a engineer/science-AFCS and went through the course having been assigned to Eglin and a specific program requiring the training.

Edited by addict

For everyone trying to figure out why a major was in that course: He was a flight test engineer - He probably had a engineer/science-AFCS and went through the course having been assigned to Eglin and a specific program requiring the training.

Engineers in their first assignment out of TPS are required to be in a flying billet. On the fighter side, these guys tend to fly on any tub available vice specific programs. Garrett was a good guy, and he'll be missed.

I remember that course and they seemed to do a good job of keeping civilian boat traffic away from us.

:beer:

Sad story. Although it doesn't say it was civilian boat. Strange there is no mention of someone caught and/or being looked for after a week.

:beer:

Sad story. Although it doesn't say it was civilian boat. Strange there is no mention of someone caught and/or being looked for after a week.

Kind of goes with the idea that the news wasn't released for nearly a week, whereas if it had been a civilian boat it seems they would have gotten it out to the public sooner to try and raise awareness and speak to consequences.

Those of us that were in that class with Maj Knowlan were basically ordered not to talk about the circumstances of the accident, so I doubt you'll hear anything about the boat until the accident investigation report is released (as quietly and late as the press release of his death was).

All I can say is that it's a f*cking tragedy. I knew him very little -- only from those 3 days of training -- but he was an awesome dude. His wife and two sons were with him in Pensacola.

There is an obituary here which gives info about the Memorial Fund: http://www.semissour...ry/1904453.html

Edited by tripilot

He was going through the initial parachute course because he was a TPS grad FTE. He had previously gone through Fairchild because he was doing CV-22 and UH-1 testing. He was now the Test Wing exec, and so was preparing to fly fighters instead due to moving from Hurlburt to Eglin.

Filter was a classmate of mine at TPS and we were then at Hurlburt together the last two years.

Missing him tons...

BTW, for those that knew him, I'm helping to organize both the memorial service at Eglin, and a scrapbook of photos and any other memories for his boys. Many of us are writing letters addressed to them to tell them stories and what kind of awesome dude he was. If you have anything to contribute, PM me.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...