AF Reserves or AFROTC ?

Hi guys,

I'm 20yrs old, 2nd year of college and I want to become a pilot but am not sure which route to take. I have the opportunity to attend AFROTC as a cross town student and take extra classes to catch up since I would have already missed my first year. I do understand that pilot slots are very competitive in ROTC, and that coming in as an AS250, I would have to be sharp in order to have a good RSS (Relative Standing Score) since the commander would have a shorter time to get to know me.

A couple weeks ago, I spoke to an air force C-17 pilot (reserves), he made me realize that perhaps the Air Force Reserves was a better option for me since I would be able to fly, and have another job at the same time. He told me I could enlist as a boom operator or load master, finish my degree and then apply to OTS....

My question is... If I enlist to become a boom operator, how long will it take for me to receive benefits like the 9/11 GI Bill? I thought that was only for active duty folks? If I become eligible to use the GI benefits, wouldn't that pay for my PPL, instrument, multi, commercial? If I enlist, and finish my degree before the 6 year obligation, can I apply to OTS and sign a new contract?

I want to serve my country as a pilot, and I do understand that becoming an officer comes first...then pilot second. I'm just trying to make the right decision.. I'm open to any suggestions or info

.....I want to serve my country as a pilot, and I do understand that becoming an officer comes first...then pilot second. I'm just trying to make the right decision.. I'm open to any suggestions or info....

You answered your own question...officer first.

Enlisting does not necessarily get you closer to commissioning.

ROTC selection rate for Pilot this year was over 70%, that being said it will go year by year. You would still have to get a Field Training Slot for ROTC (and do 2 more years in the program) which was more competitive this year than a Pilot Slot.

You can use the G.I. bill and the kicker however you want. They pay you monthly as long as your in school. averages out to about $700/mo (for 36 months) for full time students. I'm speaking from experience in the ANG.

Thanks for your input kjack123

Does this 70% count for just pilots or pilots/navs? And just to clarify...It was more competitive to attend field training then getting a pilot slot? Thats interesting...

That is what I saw for just Pilots, but for Nav I was told that pretty much everyone was getting it.

• 10 months later...

As a long time reader, I am in the same position as izzlenizzle... 20 years old next month, 3 years of school left, had a briefing with the cross town ROTC unit today but am also looking into enlisting as a load at my local reserve unit. There were no real definitive answers so far and I was hoping to get some opinions in weighing the two routes. The benefits of the direct route to officer and (possibly) more available pilot slot in ROTC vs. the money and awesome job in school in addition to avoiding active duty politics, which a lucrative thought from what I understand. I appreciate any thoughts and apologize for the bump.

• Upvote 1

Dudes, the ROTC program is the way to go. It's a bigger roll of the dice to go enlisted and hope you can eventually become an officer. What I'm not taking into account here is reserves/guard vs active duty. Guard does it better.

As a long time reader, I am in the same position as izzlenizzle... 20 years old next month, 3 years of school left, had a briefing with the cross town ROTC unit today but am also looking into enlisting as a load at my local reserve unit. There were no real definitive answers so far and I was hoping to get some opinions in weighing the two routes. The benefits of the direct route to officer and (possibly) more available pilot slot in ROTC vs. the money and awesome job in school in addition to avoiding active duty politics, which a lucrative thought from what I understand. I appreciate any thoughts and apologize for the bump.

If you have good grades and a private pilot license, I would rush reserve and guard units vs ROTC and not enlist as a boom/load. While prior enlistment will give you an opportunity to be hired easier at UPT boards for that particular squadron, it might not be worth the time unless you need money for school. ROTC will be a dice roll and you might not end up doing what you want to do. I went through the same debate in college and choose to forgo ROTC and enlisting. I interviewed at a reserve unit after graduating and got hired. Just my $0.02.

Get in a Unit. Do a good job and go for a UPT slot. You can always go AD later if you dont get a guard or reserve pilot slot. If you went AD didnt get a pilot slot then tried to go guard or reserve IMO you wouldnt be as competitive as you would being enlisted aircrew competing.

I have the private and the grades are good and going up... I definitely want to go reserves as long as I'm not shooting myself in the foot by giving up the ROTC opportunity. You guys are split on enlisting but it seems that either way can work out, its more of an individual circumstance issue... The money wouldn't hurt, neither would getting to know the unit, plus it seem like a hell of a job to have in college. That being said, does anyone have any info on the units at March regarding loads? Thanks.

I have the private and the grades are good and going up... I definitely want to go reserves as long as I'm not shooting myself in the foot by giving up the ROTC opportunity. You guys are split on enlisting but it seems that either way can work out, its more of an individual circumstance issue... The money wouldn't hurt, neither would getting to know the unit, plus it seem like a hell of a job to have in college. That being said, does anyone have any info on the units at March regarding loads? Thanks.

I rushed both of the units at March. At both boards, it was all non-priors. In fact, of the 5 interviews I was invited to, there was only one prior from the squadron competing. However, if you want to go Guard, enlisting prior seems to get your foot in the door. (Guard seems to hire from within more so than the reserves) The good thing about graduating and then rushing units is that if it doesn't work out, you can go AD through OTS which is easier to get then the Guard/Reserves. There is also always the Navy and Marines if you are just looking to be a military pilot.

The good thing about graduating and then rushing units is that if it doesn't work out, you can go AD through OTS which is easier to get then the Guard/Reserves.

I wouldn't say that OTS is easy to get into, especially if you don't have some kind of technical degree the AF desires.

Edited by Van1

I wouldn't say that OTS is easy to get into, especially if you don't have some kind of technical degree the AF desires.

Fair enough. All ways have certain risk of not being picked up.

Is the benefit from enlisting and being a good dude enough to bring the chances back to even close to ROTC levels though? (in your unit)

I am not sure what you are asking. If you enlist, it does enhance your chances but I don't think I am convinced in the reserves at least that that is the say all in getting hired. However, in the guard, I think it is a different story. Anyways, the benefit of going reserve/guard over ROTC is that you give yourself the option to enter AD if you don't get hired by a reserve/guard unit whereas in ROTC you are locked in for at least 4 years with maybe a opportunity to cross train over. Again just my $0.02.