2012 Jabara Award

Muscle2002

That's awesome. I have a little trouble understanding how you put 30mm HEI down 15 meters from friendlies without hurting anyone but good on him for gettin er dun.

I've seen DFCs for this...

The same reason some people get written up for awards for doing ordinary stuff

...and nothing for this.

while others get passed over for the extraordinary.

...and nothing for this.

Another thing I've found interesting is that when someone pushes the rules/boundaries to accomplish the mission and results like those in the above story come about, the pilot is recognized. On the other hand, if the same pushing of the rules/boundaries to accomplish the mission either results in failure or doesn't seem as heroic by superiors (even though ground troops were provided air cover), then that pilot is often punished.

Case in point, two separate OEF missions both involving thunderstorms...one crew receives the MacKay trophy by flying IMC on the TF radar (prohibited and not something trained to anymore, not to mention risky even by old school standards), while another provides crucial overwatch and sustains minor hail-damage resulting in the crew being grounded.

The recognition process is completely subjective. Bottomline, though, whether Rudy received recognition or not, having known him from the zoo, he wouldn't care and cares more about earning the respect of his peers, which I know he has.

Edited by Muscle2002

Bottomline, though, whether Rudy received recognition or not, having known him from the zoo, he wouldn't care and cares more about earning the respect of his peers, which I know he has.

Shack.

Another thing I've found interesting is that when someone pushes the rules/boundaries to accomplish the mission and results like those in the above story come about, the pilot is recognized. On the other hand, if the same pushing of the rules/boundaries to accomplish the mission either results in failure or doesn't seem as heroic by superiors (even though ground troops were provided air cover), then that pilot is often punished.

Bob Pardo initially faced disciplinary action when he made it back to base after this incident. It took twenty years for folks to pull their craniums out of their asses and officially recognize him.

Bottomline, though, whether Rudy received recognition or not, having known him from the zoo, he wouldn't care and cares more about earning the respect of his peers, which I know he has.

Yep. The best Weapon's Officer I've ever seen. Humble, approachable, and credible. Not many out there like him.