NHL Playoffs

Masshole

Torres is a fucking moron.

Why? Those guys all learned to skate with their craniums up in pee wees. Forget to do that in the NHL and you're leaving the rink on a stretcher.

You old enough to remember this guy? None of these is a penalty.

How did they not call this?

hossa2.gif

Finishing a check

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

Why? Those guys all learned to skate with their craniums up in pee wees. Forget to do that in the NHL and you're leaving the rink on a stretcher.

You old enough to remember this guy? None of these is a penalty.

Finishing a check

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

No, I know he played for the Devils, but I don't remember him.

I am going to look for a replay. It looked like he was away from the puck, and Torres came in with a lot of speed, left his feet, and made contact with the head. He also has a history of intent to injure.

Edited by Masshole

No, I know he played for the Devils, but I don't remember him.

Well, if you are a hockey fan you owe it to yourself to watch the video and at least read this. He's a hall of famer and no one called him a cheap shot artist. People got hurt if they didn't pay attention to where he was. Some of them skated their last shift ever if they forgot to keep track of him.

I am going to look for a replay. It looked like he was away from the puck, and Torres came in with a lot of speed, left his feet, and made contact with the head. He also has a history of intent to injure.

Noted. You just need to know the rules are the rules. Finishing a check is legal.

Well, if you are a hockey fan you owe it to yourself to watch the video and at least read this. He's a hall of famer and no one called him a cheap shot artist. People got hurt if they didn't pay attention to where he was. Some of them skated their last shift ever if they forgot to keep track of him.

Watched the video and all of those were good, clean hits.

Noted. You just need to know the rules are the rules. Finishing a check is legal.

It would not let me add this video to my post:

It looks like Trouwer had possession before Torres left his feet.

But leaving your feet with a hit to the head is not. In fact, it's being emphasized this season. I agree with finishing, but you must remain on the ice.

Wow if I didn't already respect Rainman for his sage advice he has given all the years I have been on this board I would respect him as a hockey fan.

Scott Stevens was a rare breed... Kariya was never the same after meeting with that check from Stevens...Applied to modern warfare... true talent is no match for a well timed violent act.

Fing a bro...

Edited by Skitzo

But leaving your feet with a hit to the head is not. In fact, it's being emphasized this season. I agree with finishing, but you must remain on the ice.

Yeah, I watched it a few times and if he stayed on the ice it would have been acceptable. It is still a problem that he wasn't called for jumping into it, targeting Hossa's head. Have to draw a line somewhere in the rules. Should you be allowed to stab someone in the stomach with a sharpened hockey stick if it is done in the process of finishing a check?

Fing a bro...

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Yeah, I watched it a few times and if he stayed on the ice it would have been acceptable. It is still a problem that he wasn't called for jumping into it, targeting Hossa's head. Have to draw a line somewhere in the rules. Should you be allowed to stab someone in the stomach with a sharpened hockey stick if it is done in the process of finishing a check?

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

If he stayed on the ice he wouldn't have hit the head.

Should you be allowed to stab someone in the stomach with a sharpened hockey stick if it is done in the process of finishing a check?

STS

Guest Grind

I can't believe there is this much bickering over the hit.

As a Hawks fan, I am appalled. However, this is playoff hockey, and shit gets bloody during these games. In fact, almost every team that played today had 1-3 players suspended for bullshit, alone. Granted, the check could have been made cleaner, but he knew Hossa was a key player to our team, and wanted to make his point. He made it well, and took him out. It sucks, but what can you do as a spectator? Hossa will be fine, he is one of the toughest players on our team, and in the league, but he is probably out for the playoffs, which is bad for us, seeing that Shaw is out for two more games. Those two are definite contributors to our game. The Hawks are definitely at a disadvantage moving forward in the playoffs.

However, his feet left the ice at about the same time the contact was initiated. This call could have went both ways, and it went in favor of Torres. He could have made it less violent, but he didn't. Need I remind you all that hockey is a violent sport, especially at the professional level, during playoffs. I'm in no way defending Torres, but it is what it is. When I played high school hockey, shit like this happened all the time, especially during playoffs, and even more so during out of state tournaments. You want to make your point, you want to show the other team you are superior, you want to show them you are willing to put them on the ice, and assert your dominance. Emotions rage, and you want to demoralize the other team into submission, because if you don't, they sure as will do the same to you. It's you or him. Period.

What can you do? Like I said, we have his number, and we have plenty of bruisers who will remember what he did, and he will get his. Torres isn't even a good hockey player. Lest we forget, we picked up that one shit head (Carcillo) after his shenanigans in the playoffs vs us, and no one raised a fuss.

He will get his. Just move on. The Hawk's aren't a cheap team, and this is why Torres didn't get lined up. The refs were watching for a retaliatory attack at him, and would have probably resulted in another Hawk getting a major, or a suspension, which is something we really don't need right now. The Hawks play tactic hockey, not brute hockey.

However, I would have liked to see Crawford and Smith go at it. Crawford would have rocked that .

This isn't youth hockey and it isn't the NHL regular season.

It is the Stanley Cup playoffs. Everything gets turned up to 11.

There is a code. Part of that code is no crying about cheap shots.

Torres didn't "jump" the way everyone is portraying the way he did. It's his forward momentum as he goes into the check. As you can see, he led with his shoulder and finished his check the way Rainman said. It's just because it's Hossa..

Torres didn't "jump" the way everyone is portraying the way he did. It's his forward momentum as he goes into the check. As you can see, he led with his shoulder and finished his check the way Rainman said. It's just because it's Hossa..

Even Shanabad can see that it was a dirty hit and he's a dirty player. Hossa or not, those hits have no place in hockey. Hit shoulder to shoulder.

I personally think he wasn't going for hossa's head. Hossa turned in toward center ice right when Torres was coming in with his shoulder. I would understand a 5-game suspension but 25? Come on..

I personally think he wasn't going for hossa's head. Hossa turned in toward center ice right when Torres was coming in with his shoulder. I would understand a 5-game suspension but 25? Come on..

Are you watching the correct hit? Here is the NHL video: bit.ly/JmRvse As you can see, When Hossa turned, he had the puck poked out. More than 2 seconds later, with Torres still turning into Hossa and trying to get a one handed poke at the puck, Torres makes the hit. Obviously Torres can't get the hint as there are 5 other examples where the league told him he's wrong with fines and suspensions for similar hits.

Look up CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and you'll see why they want to outlaw these types of hits. Hell, even making a hockey stop has proven to cause brain damage in players and refs. If you want to see players (even high school players) healthy after their playing days are over, you'd see this in a different light.