Budget Cuts

Just found out that my unit might be one of the possible victims of the 2013 budget cuts. There have been many rumors spreading around our unit that they will be shutting us down, however nothing is certain until the presidents budget is set in a few months. I have been working my tail off as a crew chief in my unit for the last three years while getting my packet together and taking all the neccessary measure to have a competitive package. Finally, I get the board date, at the same time find out that what I have worked for for the last three years may be shot down if our unit gets closed. Don't get me wrong I will be applying to many different units and already have packages lined up to be sent out to multiple units. My question is, say my dream does come true and I get picked up from my unit for a UPT slot and begin training then find out that our unit will be shut down. How would this affect me while in the middle of training. Will another unit be willing to pick me up during training? Or will I just be sent home? I know it will probably depend on how long I have been in training since they would be spending all that money on me already, it just doesn't make any sense to send someone home. Has anybody ever dealt with anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would be willing to do anything to get a slot, however just giving up on my plans of flying for the guard would be tough. What would happen if I got caught up in this mess in the middle of UPT? Could I finish up training then go active duty? Is that even possible?

The 188th. Its been all over our local news and we wont be sure of anything until the budget is released and no decisions made till our AEF is complete. So it may be a few years, however there is usually a lag in getting to training and I'm just curious what will happen if I get caught in the middle of this during training.

There are a lot of people in UPT right now that are (potentially) facing this same situation with the C-27. The fact is, if you made it through T-6's, you're most likely going to make it through UPT and therefore you are a safe bet and highly marketable to other Guard/Reserve units. As in pretty much any unit that can, will hire you. I think that's probably even more true with fighter units. Prior to T-6 complete, you may have a little more difficulty but I imagine it's still possible.

Thanks so much! This gives me a little better idea of what im working with. From what I've heard our unit stands a good chance at keeping its mission and I will do everything I can do to help. Ill just keep my fingers crossed and hope to get picked up in the next board. Sorry to hear about those guys with the C-27's.

I was a faip back in the day, way back in 03-06.... This happened to several people, I think they were the Kansas guard. They were all allowed to complete. One (he was fixed wing qual) ended up going to Hurlburt Field and doing something with AD, though I can't recall if he joined AD or just did a tour with them. All of the actual UPT guys got hired at other places, most within a few weeks. IFF washouts tend to get picked up by heavy units if they still want it. One came up to my associate unit just last year actually.

I was a faip back in the day, way back in 03-06.... This happened to several people, I think they were the Kansas guard. They were all allowed to complete. One (he was fixed wing qual) ended up going to Hurlburt Field and doing something with AD, though I can't recall if he joined AD or just did a tour with them. All of the actual UPT guys got hired at other places, most within a few weeks. IFF washouts tend to get picked up by heavy units if they still want it. One came up to my associate unit just last year actually.

Thanks. I still have faith in our unit, but it sucks it might have to be that way.That's crazy they got picked up only after a few weeks. However as long as I get a slot I would be willing to move anywhere.

The 188th FW. If I'm not mistaken there were about five units on this list for a possible shut down. We avoided a BRAC closure in 2005 and got the A-10 mission. Hopefully we can pull together again and keep the HOG.

Leading statement, what units?

http://hosted2.ap.org/ALDEC/TDNational/Article_2011-12-03-188th%20Wing-Possible%20Cuts/id-9a20b809ca9242c3bf8603bb0421048a

"Officials have expressed concern about funding reductions to the National Guard and active Air Force units that fly the A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft, including the 188th, after a congressional supercommittee failed last month to reach an agreement on spending cuts in the federal budget."

I also read somewhere else about reduction of A-10 units and how the 188th was one of five ANG hog units but I cannot find it.

Right in line with the number one and two primary action items in the COS of the Air Force's Rated Manning Directive. How else would we get more A-10s for the B-course, rob Peter to pay Paul. This will also solve the rated manning issue, an entire squadron of A-10 pilots looking for a job = back to a 1.5 crew ratio. Brilliant! and also UFB!! http://www.airforce-magazine.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Reports/2011/November%202011/Day09/CSAF_RATED_ACTION.pdf

I'm afraid it was only a matter of time for Ft Smith. They avoided the last BRAC with some fancy footwork (like many units) and were part of the 11th hour realignment of the game board. They are in a two flying unit state where the herbivores have all the power...which means they'll be sacrificed when it comes to nut cuttin' time.

It is unfortunate for you but hopefully it works out ok.

In the end, the ANG is always at risk of having the the iron fly away if the AD wants it back.

So what happens if a unit looses it's mission before you get to upt? Does the guard bureau can your slot or do you go find another unit who will take you (and your slot)? Someone told me once you got your foot in the door and get selected by a unit, if something happens, you kind of have your foot in the door since you already got selected and have dates. Any truth in that?

Speaking from BRAC 05, these things are not instant. It takes years to close a base/realign it. Several people I knew went to UPT knowing that their unit was going to close or change to preds etc. All of them easily found jobs with other units. Most units sent their applicants because the spot was already "paid for" and wanted to give their applicants a shot.

Our unit post BRAC shorted our hiring of Active Duty, keeping spots open for the BRAC'd pilots. We picked up 4 experienced pilots from other units and 2 that were in UPT. One came straight to our unit and the other went back to his unit until they lost their jets.

Units have people wash out all the time and it is a no brainer to pick up a UPT stud from another unit that is already bought and paid for. Getting a foot in the door is the key. As a young guy with a good recommendation from the UPT commanders about attitude and hands there is little difficulty finding a new home.

This is my experience with BRAC. The budget constraints we have now could be very different. The way civilians, GS, and military programs (ie. Airshows) have been cut we are hacking with a chainsaw and it could be a much quicker cutoff but that is absolutely speculation. If you are at UPT, I would say you are safe. If you have dates I would say the same. Right now, nothing is scheduled to close so I would absolutely apply and not let any rumors set you back at all.