PCS weigh-in

I have done this several times with my motorcycle and trailer and it's always been a few thousand lbs.

Whoa! How big is your bike?

Also the reg changed a few years back on trailers you own. Only small single axle trailers can be considered in your weight, multi axle car/bike trailers you don't get weight credit for

Not quite--"purpose built" trailers (boat trailers, motorcycle trailers, snowmobile, etc.) to haul things that are themselves allowed to be included in HHG weight are exempt from the single-sxle requirement.

Not quite--"purpose built" trailers (boat trailers, motorcycle trailers, snowmobile, etc.) to haul things that are themselves allowed to be included in HHG weight are exempt from the single-sxle requirement.

I'm thinking a 8x16 enclosed dual axle trailer I just bought for a sport quad and to PCS w/ wouldn't cut the mustard as purpose built... Oh well

Headed to PPO (the Navy's TMO) tomorrow. It does then have to go to Tyndall, then back to the NCANG, but at least I'll have an idea if this is all screwed up. Crossing my fingers it isn't and I'm paid appropriately because a full DITY with a 26 ft trailer, trailer, and 10K in your wife's stuff that is "too heavy for her to move" and "you need to ask your brother to fly down to help you" has been a royal PITA!

I'll post up what I'm told tomorrow from TMO for future reference.

I'm thinking a 8x16 enclosed dual axle trailer I just bought for a sport quad and to PCS w/ wouldn't cut the mustard as purpose built... Oh well

I'm not familiar w/ rules re quads--can they be included in HHG weight? (I'd guess they're treated like motorcycles?)

If so: did you modify the trailer to make it a specific quad-hauler? My trailer looks like any other cargo trailer from the outside (and is roughly the size you describe), but I modified it (wheel tracks & tie-down points) to haul the bikes. That makes it a "motorcycle trailer," and as such I can claim the weight.

FYI, I went through an, ahem, education process w/ the gal at TMO when I was setting up my last DITY. She finally saw it my way (once I produced the actual JFTR verbiage), but stated that those rules are expected to further change and exclude *all* trailers. We'll see....

EDIT: clarity

Edited by Jughead

Went to TMO/PPO yesterday and turned in all my stuff with little to no issues. The weight tickets/times werent an issue at all. They just needed a full and empty weight and didnt really care when it was done during the trip. Granted, it is now forwarded to the AF folks at Tyndall so i might get a phone call from them asking WTF I did and why. But at least the local office/Navy person here said I should have no problems and actually had alot more material than most people do (ALL of my receipts) and should highlight myself in a less negative manner if there is any issues. We shall see!

GL man...do you know why it's Tyndall rather than HRT or Eglin since those are closer? Just curious...

I honestly have no clue. Everything we do here seems to go through Tyndall. Even alot of the support staff that work for the CSO school are attached to Tyndall, my local AF email address is @tyndall.af.mil, etc.