C-21 Follow-Ons

Guest GlobeSmasher

Guest sharpey11

For all you 21 guys, quick question... I'm interested in flying the C-21, and the only dudes I've ever talked to that flew it all flew 130's afterwards. Is that the typical follow-on? Or are there other options? Do you have much say in that to begin with? Thanks for the help

I flew a C-21 at ETAR for 3 1/2 years and had a guaranteed C-130 follow (one of the reasons I took it). A year ago AFPC wanted more flexibility with first assigned guys flying C-21's and FAIPS, and went to no follow-on. So now, after your C-21 assignment you put in your dream sheet, and they decide what they need the most. There are good and bad things about both methods.

LJ Driver is correct...it used to be guys would have either a Strat (C-5,C-17), tanker (KC-135, KC-10), or Tac (C-130) follow on. They would get this follow on when they received their C-21 assignment. Times have changed. I am one of the first groups in the C-21 who are going to be competing for their follow on. There are a lot of variables that go into getting your next assginment. Mostly is how your C-21 commander views you...as he has the most say in what your next assignment will be. Having said that, there are times in which guys who have taken care of business get the shaft because there isn't much to choose from out there. I guess they figure you had your "good deal" already. How does the old addage go...there are no bad flying assignments?

Originally posted by C21Cowboy:

Mostly is how your C-21 commander views you...as he has the most say in what your next assignment will be. Having said that, there are times in which guys who have taken care of business get the shaft because there isn't much to choose from out there. I guess they figure you had your "good deal" already. How does the old addage go...there are no bad flying assignments?

I agree with you about the occasional screw job (sts) (no shortage of bad deals, right?) but do you think the new policy could be the result of people getting a good follow-on and then slacking for 3 years during their OSA tour because they knew they had a 'good deal' waitig?

Makes sense to put the decision in the hands of the current commander...brings OSA tours in line with the responsibility an MWS SQ/CC would have and in theory should result in more fair assignments in the long run.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Cowboy, what UPT class where ya'?

Globesmasher,

Send me a PM. I've got ton's of info on the C-21 I can share w/ ya.

Guest HueyPilot

I don't know how they are working it right now, but the relationship with AFPC over OSA follow-on assignments depends on the commanders running the C-21 squadrons.

If you've got good commanders who'll keep AFPC honest, you can expect a few "good deal" follow-ons with a bunch of usual assignments mixed with a few "bad deals". If you've got commanders who'll roll over and let AFPC run the show, watch out...AFPC will try to take advantage of the situation and push a bunch of hard-sell assignments.

For example...during my assignment cycle (I had a tac airlift follow on), the CCs weren't really proactive in pushing AFPC to give up some decent assignments...so pretty much all the tac airlift guys got either Dyess or Pope.

There was a change of squadron leadership later on and the next assignment cycle the new CCs kept AFPC honest and along with Dyess, Pope and LR, they could choose from MCs to Kadena and HCs to Moody.