Interstate Cadet

HuggyU2

Hot damn, there is a Spartan Executive for sale on Moose's link. Hands down one of the best looking airplanes ever built.

I would do unspeakable acts to own one of those. Unspeakable acts.

• 3 weeks later...

Final link to actual photos from the auction website.

My Waco Buds are playing this one close to the chest, would be great to see. The Pitts Special is the type I want, but a bit too vanilla, like my first S1S before I started updating it.

The photos are worth a drool:

http://www.starmanauctions.com/Past%20Auction/FIREBIRD%20ENTERPRISES/photo%20manager%20template.Firebird%20Enterprises.htm

Huggy, I can't even guess. Could be stolen for $50k, could demand over $80k.

Would make a great episode of an auction TV series.

Seeing the Christen wobble pump in the cockpit indicates to me that it is really first class as that is the best hand pump you could buy when it was restored.

I have seen top notch Howard restorations from basket to Oshkosh showplanes- I imagine $140k range, minimum.

The Spartan, heck- I fear a Mark Clark/Courtesy Aviation type near Chicago will come over and steal/take it if it is good.

May be a big case of if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The Extra will probably be the best buy of the lot as there is plenty of supply and increasing performance in newer models.

Edit to add, the Waco Taperwing or the AGC-8 would be my pick- I have time in the cabin Wacos, they are sweet, both have the best owner groups- I flew a '31 QCF-2 to the last Bartlesville, OK Biplane convention back in the day, from St Louis/Creve Couer. Didn't matter if you had a run of the mill RNF or a perfect restoration, they were great people!

Edited by moosepileit

Edit to add, the Waco Taperwing or the AGC-8 would be my pick- I have time in the cabin Wacos, they are sweet, both have the best owner groups- I flew a '31 QCF-2 to the last Bartlesville, OK Biplane convention back in the day, from St Louis/Creve Couer. Didn't matter if you had a run of the mill RNF or a perfect restoration, they were great people!

I take it you probably know the Redman's from Rare Aircraft?

Huggy, no, I have hung out w/ Kent Pietsch at airshows after hours. I believe that was the firm up near the Twin Cities in MN he used to work with. Creve Couer was the TWA retirees' hangout for all things cool GA near St Louis. Family friends are in that circle. I had a Pitts, and was just a ferry pilot as they knew I could handle their aircraft on long cross countries- a real hoot. The restorer there is John Counoyer. I knew of some of the other restorers around MN from competing in my Pitts around Albert Lea. N9220J was one sweet ride- Stearman engine/220hp on a light airframe w/ a Reed prop- 115 mph at 1800 rpm, could not stop smiling! Took off and landed at 40ish MPH like a super cub. Much shorter coupled than the Stearman, but nice rudder and think it can handle 15 mph crosswinds if done right, more on grass, where you can slide it around a bit if need be.

• 3 weeks later...