Laptop for UPT/TDY

Glenn

Looking to buy a laptop/netbook within the next couple months, but not sure what to expect from the academics portions of ASBC, UPT, TDY, etc, or what the schedule will look like (ie, how much down time in between doing stuff).

Is there any benefit to carrying a computer with you, or should it just be dorm entertainment?

I'm going to get one either way, my only question is whether I should go for a bulky 17" desktop replacement (that will only travel between and never be used outside of my home or dorm) or a 10-12" netbook that I could easily carry with me throughout the day.

Would an in-class computer even be useful during academic portions of ASBC/IFS/UPT?

You'll have no need for a laptop while physically in class for any of those schools. You'll get a little tablet kind of like a KINDLE at ASBC. They issue you a laptop at IFS but it's full of all the nanny ware so I'd bring your own.

You will never need a personal computer with you in the flight room at UPT.

EDIT- spelln'

Edited by B*D*A

You'll have no need for a laptop while physically in class for any of those schools. You'll get a little tablet kind of like a KINDLE at ASBC.

Actually they stopped doing that some time ago. Everything is now on black board that you can access from a personal laptop.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 11z. It's bigger than the mini (11.6 vs 10.1), but very light, and travels well. Doesn't weigh a brick, which is important to me. Only thing it doesn't have is an optical drive, but you can get a cheap external for that. I have encountered very few occasions when I've needed an optical drivel, tho...