Little Rock Reserve C-130 FTU

H2Nav

The story below explains the plans for the Reserves to take over the Legacy FTU at LRF. The big question is how are they going to find the people? Are there AD Pilot's, Nav's, FE's and LM's excited about becoming Air Reserve Technicians in the FTU? Even if they know the legacy herks will draw down with the AMP and J's coming on?

Just wondering,

H2Nav

LRF FTU story

Guest Hueypilot812

The story below explains the plans for the Reserves to take over the Legacy FTU at LRF. The big question is how are they going to find the people? Are there AD Pilot's, Nav's, FE's and LM's excited about becoming Air Reserve Technicians in the FTU? Even if they know the legacy herks will draw down with the AMP and J's coming on?

Just wondering,

H2Nav

LRF FTU story

From the article it appears the 189th will be the lead and the AFRC squadron will supplement the ANG...so those jobs should stay intact. Someone recently told me that either the AMP will go through and all the legacy aircraft will be AMP'd, or it'll die and all the legacy aircraft will remain H-models.

Guest Hueypilot812

That's a pretty safe bet.

I think some people are confused, thinking that the 189th will be AMP-only and the AFRC squadron will be non-AMP only. The real answer is the 189th and the AFRC will handle both until all airframes are AMP'd, or they'll both train non-AMP legacy crews if that program falls through.

I think some people are confused, thinking that the 189th will be AMP-only and the AFRC squadron will be non-AMP only. The real answer is the 189th and the AFRC will handle both until all airframes are AMP'd, or they'll both train non-AMP legacy crews if that program falls through.

Ahhh...then I withdraw my smartass "safe bet" comment to be used at a later date.

The reserves will be the H Model FTU. The manning will be all ART/TR, while the guard will be a mixture of AGR/ART/and TR. We learned at Dobbins that trying to run a schoolhouse with all ARTs as the full timers creates some big issues. Mainly in the scheduling arena. Then there is the issue of pay. We have had examples of Active duty guys coming to fly as ARTs and found out how hard it is to make the money they did on active duty. I'm just wondering if there are guys on this board who want to go to Little Rock and fly in the FTU as an ART or TR?

H2nav

I imagine they'll have to recruit folks getting off active duty from LRF to fill some of the slots. Especially if this turns into a temporary squadron.

Doesn't sound bad to me. It might be a way to get a foot in the door for the guard or reserves and stay at Little Rock.

• 11 months later...
Guest Hueypilot812

Any words on where we can find info about the AFRC openings in the new squadron? With all the RIF/VSP/Non-continuation shenanigans going on, I'm tempted to look into it.

Does anyone know if it will be only an H squadron, or are they going to make it a mixed squadron with J bubbas as well?

It'll only be H2s, no Js. The 48th will deactivate and become the new 62nd AS once the 62nd closes its doors on legacy training. We've got a couple more years before that happens.

Guest Hueypilot812

The fleet here at LRAFB is a mixed one...all technically "H2s", but since those range from late 70's airplanes to early 90s airplanes, the flight deck configurations are somewhat different with each airplane. The AFRC iron is supposedly being transferred to the new unit, but the ANG aircraft will be "on loan".

I've looked on USA Jobs as well and found nothing, but heard they are seeking people. If anyone can PM me with a name of a person to talk to here at the Rock, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.