He said WHAT?

afnav

Ahh...and he's our guy. That's the problem with putting a dude in power with limited knowledge, if he decides to give you the finger later you can't do anything but kick yourself. My analysis is that he's playing to the local politics of the moment and still welcomes us and all the money and security we bring. Good discussion by smart people on this topic here.

Edited by nsplayr

Guest Flyin' AF Hawaiian

If I remember correctly, he WAS affiliated with the Taliban shortly after they got started. I think he served as a spokesman for them, or some similar capacity. Granted, he did break ranks with them shortly afterwards because of what he saw as foreign influence from Pakistan. Hopefully in this case he was just referring to reconciling with the "moderate" Taliban.

It looks like there's a new member in the Muammar-Qaddafi-Batshit-Crazy-Muslim Club:

Karzai to lawmakers: "I might join the Taliban"

If this isn't a journalistic misquote, I think we need to have a Pred pilot earn a DFC for this idiot.

Would think that a comment like that might be 'the opposite of helpful' (STS). Apparently he repeated it at least a couple of times in a closed door meeting while complaining about 'foreigners' pushing for reforms in his gov't. As Nsplayr said, probably the worst part is, at least in theory he's our guy, and we're pretty much stuck with him.

He's struggling to maintain power. Autocratic leaders will do crazy stupid things to maintain their power. Saying "he's our son of a bitch" and backing him regardless is a bad move in my opinion, didn't work in south Vietnam either. That said, I think this is just a saber rattling load of shit.

Guest wannabeflyer

This highlights the larger problem we have in Afghanistan. We fight to push the Taliban out, only to bring in another corrupt

and inept government in the Karzai regime. This guy rigged the election, and now we're pinning our entire effort on him and his

ability to establish a moderately functioning central government. Hope it works, but I'm not overly optimistic.