The "fighter pilot attitude"

Guest FalconFour

Guest FalconFour

Alright, take two. Guess I should step it up a little bit and find a more mature topic to discuss than what Doug Masters likes to do in his "off time". Well, here's what I'd like to know more about, and the perfect forum of people to discuss it with, at that.

I'm quite the fan of the "fighter pilot attitude", as I figure it. Pieced together from various places, books, movies, and forum posts, and mixed in with a hell of a lot of my own attitude and experiences, I've ended up imagining what I think is the greatest "attitude" of anyone that really wants to get sh*t done. Not so much "checking off my to-do list", than being accomplished in life and feeling like the king of the world, in pretty much every waking moment of the day. Except those rare occasions when "Holy crap, I was actually wrong". Those are rare, though...*

Mush, cheese, whatever gooky crap this sounds like, I just kinda wanted to actually hear it from the pilots themselves... the people actually wearing the flight suit (and not just buying one off eBay, *cough*). Confidence, you've gotta have that in boatloads. Ego, comes with the job. How about that "What do you want? Okay, get out of the way" kinda thing... I mean, is that just Top Gun Hollywood storytelling, or is that just daily life as well? Hell, I've never actually had the honor of holding a conversation with a fighter pilot myself. I've really got nothing but hear-say and once-saids, like other posts here on this forum.

Self description, or describing someone else, I just kinda want to get an idea of how other people would describe that "fighter pilot personality" - preferably in more words (and different words) than just "a-hole". Oh, and yeah, I almost expect to be publicly humiliated here, but... yeah. Posting anyway. Hope this doesn't end up in the crapper...

* - Except here. I kinda feel like I'm a McDonald's crew member in a room full of millionaires here. Kinda intimidating, yeah.

Edited by FalconFour