Second Assignment

Guest NDwife

Guest NDwife

So we have been at McChord for 3 years now and its time to decide what to do next, or its past due depending on who you ask. I know about the usual C-17 contenders for second assignments: Charleston, Travis, Hickam, McGuire, Dover, Elmendorf & Altus as well as primary training bases but I am more interested in the crazy stuff that most people don't know is out there. What are these more rare jobs and how do I find them? I know most of these are probably unattainable based on the odds but thats why its a dream sheet, right? Example: Some friends of ours just got gliders at the academy. Who knew that existed? I didn't. Don't know if my husband would have even been interested in that but it would be nice to know its out there.

My husband is a hard worker and does the mission without complaint but this pace has him tired (as I am sure most of you are) of being away from home. So with that in mind we are probably looking for a slower paced assignment but I am still interested to hear about everything out there, whether its a job that is gone or home a lot. Please do not suggest predators, he is not interested. I know this is going to get less traffic in the spouses forum but I am hoping enough of the seasoned wives and pilots see it.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by NDwife

Guest Okawner

If McChord is your husband's first duty assignment and you've been there for three years, then in all probability you're probably looking at another operational assignment to one of the bases you listed. Sure, there are exceptions for (I'm assuming here) young captains - AFIT, internship programs, cross-training, AETC, OSA, etc. The best way to get any sort of visibility into any "non-standard" job opportunities is for your husband to talk to his squadron commander and make his desire to leave the operational community known (that plus his ADP as mentioned). His commander will probably tell him that it's in his career's(and the Air Force's) best interest to stay in the cockpit for at least another operational tour before attempting any "career broadening". Why? Because it will put him behind his peers when it comes to upgrades and operational experience come promotion consideration time. Assuming he's at least an AC by now, an OSA or AETC assignment is probably the best bet for reaching escape velocity and not doing any damage to promotion potential.

You're looking at the following choices (based on availability and potential for getting it).

1.) Another C-17

2.) UPT assignment

3.) UAV assignment

4.) OSA/VIPSAM assignment (C-21, G-V....not the 89 AW).

5.) U-28, MC12, etc...

6.) We just had a guy in my Sq get an AF Academy flying gig

7.) If he's ACAD, he could volunteer for C-130J's

Some of the more unique flying assignments have minimum flying hour requirements. Bottom line, he needs to let his CC know what/where he wants to do via the ADP.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

UPDATE: My husband submitted his ADP with the usual suspects and were basically ready to move to Altus but he let the Commander know if anything cool or exotic pops up we would be interested and lo and behold a C-21 to Ramstein popped up and my husband's name has been penciled in!!! :drinking: We are prematurely doing the happy dance! Crossing my fingers it all works out.

Thanks again for all the info.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: My husband submitted his ADP with the usual suspects and were basically ready to move to Altus but he let the Commander know if anything cool or exotic pops up we would be interested and lo and behold a C-21 to Ramstein popped up and my husband's name has been penciled in!!! :drinking: We are prematurely doing the happy dance! Crossing my fingers it all works out.

Thanks again for all the info.

I am guessing he won't be allowed to PCS until he gets his man card back.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...