Selling a house

LT4Life

I know there's a bunch of so called "military websites" for selling your home and I've looked at a few but I'm curious if anybody has had any luck with this sort of thing? My Realtor said if I found the buyer he would do everything for .5% so if there are any credible sites out there I'd like to give it a try.

AHRN

This one is fully legit - it is not only endorsed, but required by the housing office in USAFE (and possibly beyond, not sure about CONUS). It requires a military e-mail to create an account and has a lot of great features. For one, it's free. Also, it will embed a mapquest shot of your house location within your page, allows a good amount of pictures, plus external links to any other pages for your house (like photobucket). If you don't want to display your email, it will deliver messages to your email (you can use a personal email) via PM through the site.

There are a couple others I have used to rent (they all allow the option to sell as well as rent).

Military By Owner - Pretty good site, but the most basic package (no pictures, limited text) is $15 for only 45 days. I used this last year, but only because potential renters backed out at the last minute and we were scrambling to find renters.

RE Military - Free site, but kind of low-frills. Very basic.

All three of those sites will allow you to sort based off proximity to military installations, which is nice. Realize that while the last two have military in the name, you don't actually need to be military to get an account or rent (we ended up renting to civilians through Military By Owner most recently). I have used all three and had responses from all three, but I would recommend AHRN if you are only going to use one.

I'll put in a vote for Military by owner. We sold our house in Abilene without a realtor and saved ourselves a bunch of money. That was our second sale by owner, so I would say to talk to someone who has done an FSBO previously.

I have sold 2 home by using Militarybyowner.com (first one at Pope, second one at Vance) and plan on using it again this coming Spring. Just upgrade your package to the hightest priced one (around $75.00 I believe) and that gives you plenty of photos, plenty of writing capability, 6 months of selling and they send you 2 signs for the road and yard.

That is where I have had my luck.

I have sold 2 home by using Militarybyowner.com (first one at Pope, second one at Vance) and plan on using it again this coming Spring. Just upgrade your package to the hightest priced one (around $75.00 I believe) and that gives you plenty of photos, plenty of writing capability, 6 months of selling and they send you 2 signs for the road and yard.

That is where I have had my luck.

Concur on Militarybyowner...I rented my house in three weeks, in a very tough market. I also listed on AHRN, but had only two inquires.