Karl Richter Air Force Base

Kaman

Carswell AFB in my home town

Yeah, buddy! :beer: I wish they would have kept that one open, it would have been nice to get stationed back home for a few.

Back on topic. My wife and I started talking about base names and she asked who McGuire was named after. I told her, and she wanted to know why there was a based named after our #2 ace but no Bong AFB. Well, as it turns out there was supposed to be, but it was closed before the runway was poured. It's now the Richard Bong State Recreation Area in Wisconsin.

I've always felt that we should consider naming an AFB after him.

Edit: Caint Speal.

Edited by zrooster99

One of the more questionable (in retrospect) namings was Robins AFB. During WWII, they built an Army Air Depot near Wellston, GA, but the officer in charge of standing it up wanted to name it after his mentor, General Augustine Warner Robins, who died of a heart attack and is considered the Father of AF logistics. The policy at the time said that all AAD's had to be named after the town they were based. Wellston was a nothing but a peach orchard and some cotton fields, so the town council agreed to change the town name to Warner Robins to appease the new command. When they built the AAD up to a full-up base, they named it Robins AFB. Of course the AAD is now an ALC, but it retains its original namesake. This is a good example of the BS that goes on at that base every day. A shoe clerk naming for a shoe clerk base.

A shoe clerk naming for a shoe clerk base.

Foul, two.

Just because an officer was in logistics doesn't make him a 'shoe clerk', nor does it make him undeserving of such recognition.

It's valid to say that was an underhanded way to get the base named the way someone wanted, but at least the name recognizes someone of importance, rather than just being "Wellston AFB". In my mind, it's better that it happened that way.

Foul, two.

Just because an officer was in logistics doesn't make him a 'shoe clerk', nor does it make him undeserving of such recognition.

It's valid to say that was an underhanded way to get the base named the way someone wanted, but at least the name recognizes someone of importance, rather than just being "Wellston AFB". In my mind, it's better that it happened that way.

Robins is a Logistics Base...so naming it after someone who is considered the "Father of Air Force Logistics" seems about right.